The lovely Kim (purveyor of the most truly awesome secret soup on the planet - and no, I'm not giving away the secret, so nyaa!) has requested a somewhat more informative tutorial than my previous "dick around with the sliders until it all goes Toytown."
So … Strap in and let's go!
First up. Open a photo in Photoshop.Don't moan that you've not got Photoshop. This is a tutorial specifically for Kim, but if you do have it and want to play, feel free to join in.
Today we'll be shrinking the cute little park under the Eiffel Tower to tabletop size.
So that we can do that, we need to create a new layer (Layers Menu - New - New Layer).If - like me - you're using Photoshop CS3 because your skanky boss won't stump for CS4 in a recession you'll get a little pop-up window like this.
Hit the OK and let's move on.
From your "Window" Menu you'll want to make sure these two submenus are open: the "Layers" and the "Channels" menus.Next step is to turn your new layer into an "Alpha Channel" so we can get whizzy and do cool stuff.
If you look down in the bottom right you'll see I've rather scruffily drawn a little red square around the button you want to push.
If you hover your cursor over it a little descriptor window will tell you "Create New Channel".
Oh, by the way, you might want to click on these to get a bit better image.
Yikes! It's all gone black!What we're looking at here is a blank Alpha Channel.
Alpha channels are incredibly useful, especially if - like me - you work in 3D programmes a lot. With a little messing in this window I can create bump map masks and do awesome stuff like this. Yay for alpha channels!
Anyhoo …Top left of this picture is how you want to set up your gradients using the simple drop-down menus and just the normal presets.
Click and drag and you'll see you're making a line. You can hold down "Shift" to constrain it to the vertical and then let go to produce your gradient.
Mess around in here making a few different sorts and within a minute or two you'll be more than proficient.
So!Here's what we want to see next. Single click on the "Background" to bring up your original picture again. The alpha channel should default to "off".
Should you wish to check your gradient against the picture simply click the alpha channel to "on" using the little eye-shaped doohickey I've outlined in messy freehand red.Here's where the fun starts:
Go to your "Filters" menu and scroll down the drop-down until you reach "Blur", then scroll down the sub-menu to "Lens Blur".
First up:Click on the "Faster" button (if you've not got a whizzy new Mac you'll want to save the "More Accurate" button for the final stage otherwise things take all day to happen).
Next: In the "Depth Map" menu, use the scroll-down menu button to select "Alpha 1" (or whatever you've named your alpha channel) as the source for the filter.
You can mess with shapes but I generally leave that button set to the default "Hexagon"
Now set the sliders to whatever you feel looks good, but a good place to start is with my own settings here.
This is where my previous, more sketchy and generally crap tutorial said "dick around with the sliders until it all goes Toytown", but once you've done it you'll know that's actually a pretty accurate description of what it feels like.
When you're happy, hit the "More Accurate" button, then "OK".
For outside shots with lens-tilt effect, you can enhance the "Toytown" look by adding just a couple more touches to make it look like it's a model lit by a light bulb.
Under the "Image" Menu, and the "Adjustments" sub-menu, select "Hue/Saturation" and crank the saturation slider a little.You can really go to town on this by using the "Master" drop down menu to adjust the saturation of individual colour channels, but as a quick fix the "Master" setting is just fine.
Back in the "Image" - "Adjustments" Menu, select "Brightness/Contrast" and whack up the contrast to give a nice, cheesy fakeness to your photo.
Et voilà! A teeny tiny horse chestnut tree underneath the Eiffel Tower.Here are a few more lens-tilt fakes:
The tiny London Eye by night.I love the way it makes the chubby little tugboats alongside Westminster Pier look like something from the bathtub.
My tiny train station.
A teeny tiny little racing car at Silverstone.
Even a tiny Katie doll outside the doll's house from the previous lens-tilt post.Okay, so some subjects work better than others, but it's fun to play and find out.
So there you have it, Kim. I hope that helps you have a big bundle of fun playing with your Photoshop.
Love to you and Arthur!
Toodle-pip!
23 comments:
You know, the funny thing about this is that we "recognize" these as miniatures because miniatures are photographed by macro photography - that is characterized by extremely short depth of field. So this is an entirely conditioned behavior. If macro photography didn't exist, we would just think: "Oh, weird blurry picture".
Vanda: Yes, I kept thinking that when I was doing them. If I do several one after the other my brain kind of figures out they're not real and the optical illusion effect goes away so I have to stop.
It's a very odd feeling.
Ok, I'll admit up front that I didn't read this post. Don't have photoshop, know squat about photography.
But...the first thought that popped into my head as I paged-down to see the pictures was "Oh. Dive's got time on his hands again to write long, step-by-step posts."
Next time, can we please have cookery?
It makes me want a mossy, castle kind of dollhouse and a Katie doll.
Love the photos, especially the tiny London Eye with the little tugboats.
I have Photoshop Elements and altho I can do some of these effects, it doesn't have some of the other options, such as lens blur. I can FIX lens blur, but not apply it to a photo. So the best I can do is to apply radial blur. Oh well... but I'm enjoying your fun :)
I always wanted to live in Barbie's Dreamhouse when I was a kid, but now I have my own dollhouse, and it's so much cooler than that plastic house where Barbie lived!
Lulu: When I get some free time I'll do some more cookery posts.
At the moment I am stuck with teaching my elderly neighbour how to cook (and clean and iron and generally look after himself) while his wife is in hospital. She did everything for him and he cannot even boil an egg. Sheesh!
Petrea: Me, too! I've put in my request to Santa already.
Ms.M: Those tugboats made me giggle when I saw them.
I got Elements for Mum. You can do all sorts of whizzy things with it. You can also download Photoshop filters from the internet and use them in Elements. For ninety percent of Photoshop work it is more than adequate; it's only when you have to do high-end stuff like I have to at work that you need the full version.
Mum uses hers for scanning in old photos and cleaning them up, and for prepping her new photos for her blog. It's a great programme.
Katie; I must confess it's a pretty gorgeous dollhouse, but then you are a pretty gorgeous doll (I can hear the winces when people read that … hee hee).
Dive, this is pretty neat stuff. I'm glad for Vanda's comment because I did find myself wondering why it works so well. I'm sending this on to Katie's cousin because if he doesn't already know about this, he should. Maybe I'll try it to see what happens. In the distant past I took a lot of photos of real miniature rooms (a Chicago museum I think) and they all looked like this.
Lupine Lady: It's weird how we can trick our brains with optical illusions. This one is easy and fun. I wonder if Mark will miniaturise his giant pumpkin?
Lupine Lady, it's the Thorne Miniature Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago:
http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/thorne
They are incredible. I had a couple of books about them when I was a kid. Probably still have them somewhere. Even if Chicago weren't a fantastic city, the Art Institute alone would make it worth a visit.
Woah! Awesome link, Petrea! Thank you so much. The amount of detail in those things is mind-blowing. I love the ceiling in the late Tudor room; there are many full-size examples like that around here.
Wonderful!
Petrea, thanks for the reminder about where those miniature rooms are and for the link.
Dive, it wouldn't take much to make Mark's pumpkin look miniature. Just to tease him, I sent him a package of seeds for miniature pumpkins so next year they can compete in growing the smallest one.
I'm glad you like it, Dive. I used to dream about those rooms.
Here's another wonderful miniature to visit in Chicago, at the Museum of Science and Industry. It's lovely, though I must say Queen Elizabeth's doll castle has it beat.
Lupine Lady: Hee hee hee! Oh, you are so naughty. That is delicious.
Petrea: Wowee! These people must put in an insane amount of work. Before the days of 3D modelling I used to make architectural models as part of my job and it was great fun but monstrously time consuming. In Paris, Katie took me to the Musée des Arts et Metiers and the Carnivale and both had a host of utterly fantastic miniatures. I could spend weeks wandering round there, gawping, lost in wonder.
I love stuff like that.
I know you don't love the royals, Dive, but have you seen the Queen's doll castle at Windsor? If you like miniatures, that one's the topper.
Sorry. It's Queen Mary's Doll House:
http://www.victorianstation.com/interior.html
I've never been to Windsor, Petrea, but that's one doozy of a dollhouse.
Lutyens was a great architect so it's little wonder it looks nice.
Perhaps they should shrink the royal family and put them in it.
Incredible! Have been swamped since Friday morning and not on line, and now an amazingly detailed post just for me! Thank you, thank you! Arthur's off watching France-Ireland with friends and I finally get to Photoshop. Yay!!! Will keep you posted. If I can't do this now there is no hope...
And Vanda, very interesting perception comment. So interesting to see what tiny details make our brain see something different.
Hi, Kim!
So glad you like it. I hope it helps you have lots more Photoshop fun.
I am so insanely jealous of Arthur being at the rugby; I wish I were there, too.
Nice to see France beat the South Africans this week. Yay!
lol great, Dive! I'd like the tilt-shift lens though.......sigh.......... :)
Pricey!
Plus you need a plate camera and the means to develop 5x4 or 10x8 film.
I've not done that since I worked as a photographer and it was a royal pain in the ass.
Or - as Vanda pointed out - you could buy an iPhone which has an app to fake lens-tilt built in.
I love the old steam technology though.
Yes, pricey, around £900. Not film though, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=347
Time to write a letter to Santa, Lynn.
Have you been good?
Post a Comment