Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let's Make A Racket - V

Improvisation and interplay.

Here's a silly little bit of fun.
We're back down at the blues club.
To recap:
Sunday Blues nights were where, each Sunday a band was put together who had never (other than Stevie and a very few regulars such as myself) played together before, to raise money for research into motor neurone disease (which Stevie is dying from).
The Rules of Sunday Blues were:
1 - Check your egos at the door (no showing off; just play what's right for the song);
2 - Nothing must be rehearsed; everything must be improvised on the fly.

We had a third rule for the vocalists: At least one song per evening must be made up on the spot. Newbies were allowed to sketch a few lines down during the break, but Steve and Luke and the regular vocalists loved to start playing a song with nothing in their heads and see what came out.
This is one of those.

I've included it here to highlight the interplay between the musicians.
The line up on that night (24th. June, 2001 according to the label) was:
Stevie: Bass and vocals;
Dave Sparrow: Drums;
Some Spanish session guy from Barcelona, whose name I never knew: Organ (He was on tour with someone like Julio Inglesias and Steve invited him in for the night. He brought a full-sized Hammond B3 with him and a Leslie cabinet the size of a carthorse. He played splendidly, as you'll hear).
Laurie A'Court: Tenor and alto saxophones;
Old Dive: Guitar.

What I love about playing with musicians of this calibre is that everybody is constantly listening to what the others are playing and adjusting their own playing to complement it.
This track actually requires repeated plays to hear what's going on underneath the soloing.
- You'll notice that (unlike most pub bands who simply turn up the soloist and carry on thrashing about behind them) when for instance the first organ solo comes in, the rest of the band drop the volume so that the nuances of the solo can be heard.
- You'll hear spontaneous changes in dynamics and volume as players react to one another.
- You'll hear Old Dive trying out a completely different rhythm guitar part in every verse to try to find one that fits in case this song becomes a keeper and gets played again on other nights.
- You'll hear Dave Sparrow play an immaculately loose little drum break; not the usual tub-thumping drum solo but a delicate skittering around the rhythm that suits the feel perfectly.
- You'll hear the usual appalling ending where Steve turns to say "this time" and then forgets to sing the last line.
- You'll hear an unlistenable cacophony at the start, as this song was started by Steve picking a key and laying down a bass groove for us all to join in. Actually the start of this one is missing because whoever was recording forgot to change the tape until we had started playing so it kinda fades in.
- You'll hear Old Dive winding Steve up by playing modally at the start. Steve cannot think outside the pentatonic (he thinks anything not strictly in the blues pentatonic mode is a "bum note") and Michael and myself would constantly goad him by playing in dorian or mixolydian, prompting him to turn and yell "Stop all that jazz bullshit, you bastards!" at which we would grin like guilty schoolboys and revert to pentatonic.

Sorry to be boring, but there's something about this one that keeps me coming back to it.
Quite apart from the fact that it gets a groove on, it is the live interplay and improvisation that hooks me. Dynamics between musicians cannot be rehearsed and this mess of a song is one of my favourites from all of the hundreds of hours of blues club recordings precisely because of that.

The song is called "Too Many Monkeys In My Tree", reflecting the fact that Steve had a lot going on in his personal life back then.
It is a bunch of utter tosh but I like it.
It is also the song that inspired the name of yet another of my sanity bands: The Groovy Fuckers (a throwaway line by Dave Sparrow off mic as the song finished: "Shit, we're a bunch of groovy fuckers." … Drummers, eh? Erudition personified).

This was also the very night when that disgusting "ponytail and stupid pointy sideburns" photo was taken, so I'll post it again here as it is the only shot I ever got of Laurie and myself playing.
Plus it's a nice shot of my guitar and it makes my cock look big.




22 comments:

Jules said...

Hi Dive - What a sensational name for a band!!

Can't load the music (will try later when the lines are quieter) so will entertain myself in the meantime gazing at the sideburns, ponytail and big....guitar!!

dive said...

Hee hee hee, Jules.
I must confess it's a name that certainly makes people take notice (much like The Blind Willies).

Guitars - like sports cars, are usually compensatory penis substitutes for the dickless. All I can say is I must have been pleased to see someone in the audience.

savannah said...

outstanding sound, sugar! really tight playing - please, please, please can i have a copy? xoxo

i didn't even notice the sideburns, sugar. . . ;-)

dive said...

Thank you, Savannah.
When I get bored with this little series I'll see if I can find a way to post them all as mp3 files so you can pick out any you might like.

I can't believe I wasted minutes every morning carefully trimming those damned sidies. They are hilarious, looking back.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Oh those sideburns - they're so Essex! Sorry couldn't resist lol.

Still unable to hear unfortunately but soon will i hope.

Jules said...

.....and i guess they were pleased to see you too.

dive said...

Lynn: I thought I'd better post this to make up for misbehaving in your comments yesterday. Hee hee.
I confess it's pretty disgusting.

Jules: Well, they clapped at the end, though whether it was for the music or the … ahem … I have not the faintest idea.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Nuff said!

Katherine said...

"everybody is constantly listening to what the others are playing and adjusting their own playing to complement it."

Don't you wish government would work this way?

Shan said...

Hey! That's my favorite one so far! I like all the different parts and I'll always go for the peppiest sounding Blues as possible ;).
When I saw your shirt in the pic, I could have almost sworn we had that very one here. I actually looked but didn't find it so that is strange. I think it is by an artist- perhaps that's it.
Also, I started reading your blog from the time you were mocking old hair-do's, so that's funny.
Sorry about your friend. I just realized you are talking about Lou Gehrig's disease. What a tragic illness.

dive said...

Cheers, Prudence!

Katherine: Where's the fun be in a perfect world?
Actually, that's a real dumb thing to say. Of COURSE I wish government would work that way!
Just the same as I wish you were US President.
A perfect world indeed!

It's an awful illness, Shan. No hope of a cure or even any palliative treatment. Steve is hanging on but it's only a matter of time.

It's very kind of you to call such a spontaneous mess a peppy blues, hee hee.

The teeshirt is Happy Noodle Boy, from a comic called Johnny The Homicidal Maniac and I would HOPE that you didn't have THAT in your house! Sheesh!

M.Benaut said...

It's good to see you had a grip on things, old son.
One should never lose it, 'specially one so multi-dextrous !

dive said...

Ahem … There are some things it is essential to keep a firm grip on, Monsieur.

Istvanski said...

Do I hear a hint of Zappa influenced guitar soloing in there?
And that gorgeous Hammond sound remind me of the time we went to see (the reformed) Focus (pretty damn good it was - supporting Camel who were shite - but Focus had that mega real McCoy Hammond sound). B3s a worth a small mint nowadays though I'm more of a Vox / Farfisa fiend myself.
Anyways, back to your song - it was that good that I didn't notice any mistakes, I just enjoyed it, simple as that. The interaction between all the musicians was superbly considerate.

savannah said...

ister! that's exactly what i thought...but i can't think of the name of the song...do you know/have you heard of doug carn? he plays a mean b3

Scout said...

Well, I have listened to it through my crappy laptop, and I have listened to it with headphones—it's great either way. Pretty soon you'll have burn all of these Thursday posts on a CD a ship one to each of us.

dive said...

Istvanski: You are too kind, as always. I love playing modal stuff, especially as it makes Steve mad. Hee hee.
I remember Frank playing Knobworth in '78 (I did a post about it a while back). Great gig!
And yes, the B3 sounded gorgeous, especially standing within a few feet of the Leslie cabinet.
I'd have loved to see Focus live again. Back in the early seventies when I was a precocious little bastard I played lead guitar in a Focus, Yes and Mahavishnu Orchestra covers band (Punk put a stop to that silly behaviour).
As for our silly number, it was full of crappy, sloppy soloing, but the reason I like it is for the amount of interplay going on. It was a great night for that.

Savannah: that Hammond sound just hits me right in the SOUL. I LOVE it!

Robyn: No way! Hee hee.
Mme B. and Prudence have their copies reserved but I'm afraid the rest of you will have to wait until I finish the series and then maybe I'll post mp3s (you can thank Savannah for twisting my arm on that one).

Kate said...

LOL! Those jeans definitely do something for you!

MmeBenaut said...

Wow! Great music, fab photo. It's hard to go past a man in a good pair of jeans.
Sorry for forgetting that the earth is round Dive. No pressure or anything, it's just that I love your playing so much I can't wait for Thursday which is now known as Twango in this little brain!

dive said...

Kate: They came ready-stuffed.

Mme: Thank you for being so kind. I have no idea what I shall post next week. I'll have to dig around in the archives. It may be more blues; it may be something odd. Who knows?

Maria said...

I was listening to this when Bing came in, totally riveted. We listened. Every damn time I tried to talk to her over the music, she shushed me.

When it was over, she said, "I liked the bits of bebop and then the phantom switching to neo-bop. The cross rhythms were good. Really liked the ground beat too. And nothing like a good stroll thrown in. That drummer had the vamp, dude. Oh...and so that is Dive, huh? (looking at your photo). Nice burns..."

Does any of this make sense? I think it is safe to say that she liked it.....

dive said...

Hokay … So now I am TOTALLY in love with Bing.
Not only is she a great musician who folds towels and irons jeans, she also makes me grin like a shy fool.
I'd even grow those stupid sidies back for her.

What you Colonials know as "neo-bop", by the way, we know as "lazy-ass bebop" and yes, we are a bunch of lazy-ass musicians.
Dave the drummer certainly does have the vamp; and that vamp's name is Sue.

We really MUST hear some of Bing's playing, Maria.