Sunday, May 11, 2008

Birds Having Sex

What a gay weekend of posts this has turned out to be.
Having hidden behind late winter for so long, spring has at last burst out of hiding and is currently going batshit in my garden.

Things are having sex everywhere.
Trees, flowers, birds, frogs, toads, hedgehogs, bats, a myriad of creepy-crawlies are all making babies like there's no tomorrow … and those are just in my garden. When we get to the fields down the road it is a veritable orgy.
Oh … all except me, that is. I've not managed to mate for millennia.
Hey ho.

With the windows open the dawn chorus woke me a little before four this morning. Having no traffic, aircraft or indeed any other noise out where I live, the dawn chorus can seem deafeningly loud, though utterly beautiful. I lay there for a couple of hours listening to see who woke up first (the blackbirds) and waiting for the family of missel thrushes nesting in my garage to let rip.
Blackbirds, starlings, wrens, robins, missel and song thrushes, various warblers and finches and sparrows and wagtails and goodness knows what else were all screaming "FUCK OFF! THIS IS MY TERRITORY!" at the tops of their lungs.
If only we could say it so nicely.

Anyhoo …
Here are the white lilac and clematis Montana just outside my bathroom window.

I can't post smells, so you'll have to imagine what the air was like laying in the bath this morning with this stuff four feet away.
There's a dutch honeysuckle just beneath the lilac to add to the mix.
I'm anosmic, but even I could taste it in the air.



18 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Charming, Dive. Especially the Montana. I photographed mine recently too. Your garden sounds delightful. As for the birdsong, i too had the same sounds this morning and yesterday in the early hours - i lay there thinking how beautiful it all was, just like you. Er, you're not beautiful, the sound was.

Your wish is my command by the way, as you see. Also for reasons at my blog and a little game in Paree. he he i cheated though. This was 1983!

dive said...

Hee hee.
Great swimsuit shot, Lynn. You shouldn't have given away the date, though.

MmeBenaut said...

I'm in love with your garden. White lilac! Honeysuckle - Dutch or otherwise. Could you come down here and help me with my garden?

dive said...

My garden is a mess, Mme.
Being in London all the time I don't have the time to look after it properly, so while the front garden is neat and tidy the back garden is more of a nature reserve (that's my excuse, anyway).
The dutch honeysuckle is that pale yellow and white one that is so much more fragrant than the usual variety.
Plant some just upwind of where you sit out in the evenings. It's worth it.

savannah said...

your bath sounds like heaven, sugar! we have night jasmine on the fence. but because of the heat & humidity, (have to use the ac now, so the windows are closed), i only that delicious scent when i'm outside.

xoxo

dive said...

The bath had me in it, Savannah, so it was far from Heavenly. Hee hee.
My jasmine is just outside the kitchen window (in fact inside it when the window is open). You are right. It is wonderful.

I can't stand it too hot or humid but AC would be too noisy for me, so I tend to sleep downstairs in the cool during the summer.
XOX

M.Benaut said...

I loved the smells you sent us today, old son.
Too bad you had to miss them.
However it's a good thing you can still smell in your dreams; creativity springs from dreams, and that's something you definitely do not lack.
BTW, Lynn's new profile shot has smells of the sea, of hemp ropes, suntan lotion and chilled white wine.
The tropical air is warmly moist and the smell of the day's catch is wafting up from the galley.
The smell of caramelizing onions and garlic, and medium-rare steaks is carrying from the shore.
Perhaps it's Braġjoli and the olives are driving me crazy !

Happy Sunday !

M.Benaut said...

Oh, - I forgot.
I can also smell freshly baked Ħobża tal-Malti.
I'm just salivating.

dive said...

Hee hee. You know I can't speak Maltese, Monsieur B!
I did, however, eat an octopus yesterday, and today I am continuing my assault on our local fresh asparagus.
Happy Sunday to you too!
I'll go open the wine.

Scout said...

Oh my goodness. I came her to post about the flower, and the first thing I see is this startling image of Lynn!!

well...lovely flowers! Lilac and honeysuckle are my favorite natural scents. I used to have a lovely lilac bush in the front yard, but husband had it cut down last year because he thought it was infringing on the sidewalk. I prefer the flowers to sidewalk space.

dive said...

I agree, Robyn. If people have to brush past the lilac it will release more of its lovely scent for them.

Maria said...

The cardinals woke me up this morning. I put out some old, decaying strawberries yesterday and I could tell that Mr. Cardinal had not only found them, but was intent on guarding them until his lazy wife awakened to join him in a mother's day feast. He'll probably pretend that he did this all on his own especially for her....

I have lilac bushes and lily of the valley in my backyard. The smell is almost enough to make you woozy. I also have a rose bush right under my bedroom window.

Spoiled rotten we are, yes?

dive said...

Absolutely, Maria.
Nature can be pretty damned good when it wakes up after winter.

Betty said...

The dawn chorus is bloody excellent, isn't it? Whenever I have one of my sleepless spells (usually a couple of times a week) it's always more tolerable at this time of year because I just stick my head out of the window and listen to the echoing of loads of blackbirds, robins, wrens ...

We had to chop down our honeysuckle and I used to love the way that it gave up its scent to the night air.

No, I haven't been drinking.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

he he Scout, sorry about that. I'm borrrrred that's all. Well actually i rarely get bored, but i'm limited. Over the last few days i've had a grumbling appendix and had to lie low, so i've been changing the profile shot as have others in Paris. lol. Ho hum. I think the long clem shot is best.

dive said...

Betty: you sound sober as a judge to me.
Bummer about the honeysuckle.

Lynn: I hope you're feeling better, though I'm not going to grumble about the swimwear shots. Just be grateful I'm not joining in.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Thanks. Bit better today. lol.

Joy said...

Don't you just love spring? Just love it when everything comes back to life - they never should die in the first place!