Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Painting With Mud

Hokay … No naked and floppy male genitalia for the girls today.
And no jiggly and perky teen boobies for the boys (dammit).

Today we go painting with mud.
I've not done any oil painting for years, but that's what it always felt like to me; sliding around in slurpy mud. I never really got the hang of it.

Here's one of my old ones: the ruins of St.Benet's Abbey (is there a Saint Benaut?), just down the river from my village.

And a slightly closer view (at least it is if you click on it).

I no longer have the spare time to paint in oils, so I gave up a while back.
But Robyn tells me that painting in acrylics is like oils but that you don't have to wait three weeks for the bloody things to dry enough to overpaint, so I might have a go at those.

Has anyone else tried acrylics?
Lynn? You're a successful painter; you know these things.
Advice, please.

21 comments:

Scout said...

you never got the hang of it you, say? Looks to me like you did a pretty job of figuring it out.

And please don't confuse my silly fruit paintings with knowing anything at all about paint of any sort.

dive said...

Your paintings aren't silly, Robyn. And you've tried the acrylics. What are they like? How much time do you have to work with them before they get too dry?

savannah said...

damn fine painting, sugar! you modest thang ;-)

(no clue re: acrylics. my painting has been limited to walls and that was usually latex paint)

Shazza said...

Geez Dive, that painting is wonderful! Show more!

I prefer oils to acrylics because I'm a schmearer and a blender.

I have a hard time doing that with acrylics even when I've used mediums to retard the drying time.

dive said...

Savannah: You are too sweet!

Shazza: I've never used them but I feel like painting again so any advice would be gratefully received as I really don't have the spare time to paint in oils.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

How sweet of you to say, Dive.

Yes acrylics are the way forward, definitely. The reason i chose them is exactly as you say, far too long to dry in oils! You need a whole extra room to keep them whilst they dry. Acrylics are dry within seconds, depending on how glutinous your brush. Can be a drawback of course, if you want to mix, but if you are painting thickly, it's not a problem. Some traditionalists complain acrylics are too bright. I dispute it, saying you can mix your colours accordingly; if they are relying only on what comes out of a tube, then it's lazy painting, in my view. Mix and all will be well. Acrylics are hardy, seeing paintings last well and can even be wiped with a damp cloth if dirtied. If you want to use acrylic for watery paint, your work is cut out. Be quick and decisive. It does bleed nicely producing great effects but it takes a little practise. I suppose a disadvantage is that if you make an error your only option is to paint over. Get yourself a wet palette. It's a bit of hard plastic with blotting paper on the bottom. You pour a little water to dampen, then put greaseproof paper on top (you get all this with a kit). Squeeze your colours onto the greaseproof. This is your palette and at the end of the day, put the lid on firmly again. You can then return to nice wet paints the following day or even week. Leave the lid off at your peril. Return to find little hard models of colour turds and no paint! Erm, what else... at the end of each session be sure very sure to wash your brushes WELL in soapy water then clear water. Otherwise your brushes will turn likewise to plastic horror. Think that's it. Oils are beautiful but acrylics infinitely more practical and a very similar effect can be achieved. Happy painting! Yay.

M.Benaut said...

Scheiße-Haus, Dive !!

Just as I was starting to research my family tree, you have dug up all my roots in one (un)- foul swoop.

Das ist eine sehr gute Arbeit. Ihre Bilder sind äußerst gut, mein Herr.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

oh and what a fab painting! Quite forgot to say. Wonderful, Dive. I wish you had more time is all i can say.

M.Benaut said...

Dive, I can just see you with a wet palette and blotting paper on the bottom !

dive said...

Lynn: Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to know.
For palettes, I use the type with rip-off pads of greaseproof paper on and I never have any paint left at the end of a session so I just tear off the top one and bin it.
Looks like payday will see me heading off to the art supply shop to buy a shedload of tubes of acrylic.
Hoorah!

Monsieur B: The Abbey will forever be known as Saint Benaut's from here on in.

Kate said...

WOW! You're actually really amazing.

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

acrylics are great dive - nobody uses oil any more. by the way you have some real talent there. what I like about acrylics is that you can paint over any mistakes or even if you want to make changes in color etc.

dive said...

Kate: In forty-nine years, that;s the first time a girl has said that to me.
Hee hee hee.
And thank you.

Rich: I like to mix on the canvas as much as on the palette. Just how long do I have before this stuff dries?

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

As i said, Dive, it can dry in seconds. If it's thin. Thick will take longer, couple of hours, perhaps even overnight. Play around and see.

You're not such a novice acrylic after all, you with your tear-off new fangled thingy. Pah. LOL! You're obviously very neat and economic with the paint. Mine; I need the lid as i have blobs, big blobs. So i'm told.... ;) lol.

dive said...

Hee hee. Nice blobs, Lynn.
And I've been using those tear-off palettes since college. I'm a cheapskate and they're cheap.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Thanks! Oh so it's me who's new-fangled. he he. See, you're masquerading as a novice acrylic user just so you can get us ladies to instruct over your shoulder. Psshhh should have known...:)

Full said...

I use acrylics, some polyesters, the odd ketamine base.....oh and a gun!

I have some big crayons at home and I can usually get inside the edges o.k. when I colour-in.

dive said...

Lynn: I just want to see those blobs!

Phil: The idea of one of your sports cars with the paint "going over the edges" is too funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow Dive. This is beautiful. Could you please paint another one for me and post it over to me? Is there no end to your talents? I suppose that this is what comes of never watching television. If I didn't watch television, I might just learn how to paint in oils, or acrylics.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Ah, Full how cute. How the devil are you?

Dive i bet you would! I'll see what i can do one day on the blog. Keep you dropping in...!

dive said...

Mme: Merçi beaucoup.
People always used to say "You've got no television? What on earth do you DO?"
To which I would reply "I have a life. I don't have time to sit and drool in front of an idiot box every night."
So yes; throw the TV out the window and get painting!

Lynn: Oooer!