Well you can skip Greenwich unless you like charcoal.
Some of us at the office like to take the river taxi from Westminster down to Greenwich and sit at the tables outside the Cutty Sark pub with a nice pint and admire the view.It used to be pretty impressive, as pub views go. This and the picture at the bottom were taken on our last visit to the pub.
Hey ho.So the beautiful old tea clipper Cutty Sark caught fire yesterday morning and the fire brigade were there in five minutes.
But thanks to Health and Safety legislation they had to just sit there and watch it burn for forty-five minutes while they rousted the on-site contractor out of bed and got him to sign a method statement declaring that to the best of his knowledge there were no gas cylinders or hazardous chemicals on board. Then and only then could they get on and fight the fire … er.
What a bunch of wank.
Thanks to the fucking Health and Safety Executive (the bane of my life at work), this is what the old girl looks like now.I spend a great deal of my working life hurling colourful profanities at Eric, our Health and Safety Officer.
"You can't go on that roof without a filing a method statement and wearing a safety harness." is one of his favourites.
"Bollocks!" is what I usually reply before going up on the roof and doing what I have to do.
All this is of course driven by the fucking insurance industry, for whom a specially built circle of Hell awaits.
Longtime blogpals will know my views on insurers. If you're new, just picture a lot of swearing.
Hey! What's the difference between an insurance company and the mafia?
If you pay money to the mafia, they'll protect you.
… oh, and they dress better, too.
Thankfully, they were in the middle of refurbishing the ship, so all of the masts, rigging, upper decks and original fittings were off site in storage. Thank to that fluke, one day she will look like this again.No thanks to the fucking H&SE.
Useless bastards.
13 comments:
It's such a shame. I bet she was yar.
She was certainly pretty damned fast.
Though not any more …
The Mafia are in cahoots with the US Postal Service.
I heard about this. It made me sad, but I've heard that all is not lost, because they were restoring it at the time of the fire.
Yup; all the good bits were safely tucked away.
I suppose we could have a monster barbie with all that charcoal.
Hey gorgeous, feeling better?
Hope so.
What a waste of a beautiful ship, hopefully they'll rebuild.
Great fire pictures though.
I know i'm barbaric but having been eliminated for a week from my tafe classes for heretic behaviour i'm in the mood to drink some cutty sark and sing ELO's lyrics about don't bring me down.
Thank you Kate, you rebel. I'm full of seafood noodles, so I am a happy bunny at the moment. No whalemeat today (at least until Junya gets back from Tokyo with my shopping).
I'll have an order of fish and ships with that please. or is it chips?
Hee hee. Chargrilled fish of course, Rich.
Fuckety fuck Bro, I thought we were going to Greenwich this year after the Natural History Museum.
Maybe they should have got that giant albino hedgehog to piss on the fire as he was sitting right there on the dock.
I heard some anonymous nice person donated 100K today to.
Maybe enough to put a contract on the H&S guys or the little shits who started the fire.
Party in Greenwich.
I love it when you hurl out, "Bollocks!" It is one of those words that must be flung. I intend to use it the next time I am angry at some tight ass mother at Liv's school.
I can just see their plastic surgery faces tightening even further.
"BOLLOCKS," I will shout. ""Bollocks, you ninnies!"
And I will feel so much better.
Yar?
I was gutted at hearing this (pardon the pun)been there many times. Glad some of it was in restoration at the time though. It's being treated as suspicious isn't it. What on earth possesses someone to do this on purpose?
"Ninnies!"
Hee hee, Maria; I've not heard that one for ages.
I'll let you shout bollocks if you let me call someone a ninny.
And Yar, Lynn is whaling slang for a fast ship. Time to re-read Moby Dick, young lady.
Post a Comment