Wednesday, May 16, 2007

過労死

The Japanese have - somewhat inevitably - a word for it:
過労死
pronounced かろうし, it means "death from overwork".

Actually, this week has been rather fun.
We are entering our busiest period of the year; being schools Architects, most of our major works have to be carried out during the summer holidays, so everything is on site at the same time. As a consequence, all twelve of us in the "Grumpy Old Folks" department (the Architects) work our asses off between now and October.

My problem this week has been:
- three of us have retired this year and we have not been able to find replacements of anywhere near the quality we need (I've been interwiewing several a week and the word "crap" springs to mind);
- six more are either on leave or throwing sickies;
- of the two people I have here, Pauline is having a nervous breakdown and Heidi is still in training;
- everybody's phones have been forwarded to mine;
- ditto emails;
- I am also - with my Marxist hat on - staff representative for sixty-two of us and for most of this morning I have had a roomful of shouty people with pitchforks and torches who have been burning management in effigy … the natives are definitely revolting. The next committee meeting should be fun!

And I love it!

But it will kill me if it goes on much longer.
And it does mean I have no time to do a proper post, so you're stuck with this drivel.
Hey ho …

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

かろし - the japanese equivilent of Arbeit Macht Frei?
I didn't know you exclusively designed schools, guess tit perving wouldn't provide much inspiration?
So you like management huh, come manage my job. 11 behaviourally challenged kids with power tools for three hours today. Scary. Hectic. Funny as!

Scout said...

sometimes hectic is invigorating. At least you enjoy it--you could be one of the natives with the pitchfork and a torch.

Sassy Sundry said...

Don't die, Dive. Not even work you love is worth dying over.

Glad to see that you can wear your Marxist hat while working. Makes my heart glad.

dive said...

I hate management, Kate.
I'm the office's token Marxist, therefore I get to represent the staff (nobody else wants to do it) and to argue with and shout at senior management and they cannot hit back; instead they have to feed me biscuits and take notes. That's a whole lot of fun.

Robyn: I'd far rather be busy than bored. And yes, I do love it.

And Sassy: I'm planning on dying one day, so why not do it while I'm enjoying myself?

Vic said...

Sounds like you're snowed under. Hope the energy to keep up stays with you while you need it.
Cheers,
Vic

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

"And I love it"!

those are some of the most positive words I have read from you dive. Hang in there!!

dive said...

And to compound the mayhem, my train alert site has just informed me that an unexploded World War 2 bomb has been found at Bethnal Green, beside the railway, so I may not get home at all tonight.
Ho hum.

Anonymous said...

Cool old Dead peoples non dead bombs - get photos.
The explanation of how to teach maths with power tools is up in my comments.
I'm sitting here in a towel with hunks of foil in my hair pretty much impersonating sputnik. ahh the price of individuality.

dive said...

Woah! Your power tool teaching method is awesome, Kate. I wish I'd had lessons that good!
And it'll be great to see the return of the pink hair.

Maria said...

Even your "drivel" is pretty good, Dive....

Old Knudsen said...

That kate is always on about the Germans, employ hot young weemen who need you to help them all the time as you cum up behind them and reach around them to show the correct way to hold a snooker cue, or something similar.

dive said...

No; just grouchy