Hoorah for you guys!
With this week's sentence I had expected all manner of superpowers to come flying around Blogville, but instead we have real writers showing off some impressively muscled imaginations.
Hokay: Week Six of 500 Words:
500 Words is brought to you by Robyn and Lynn who started all this and by Old Dive, their Official Sentence Setter and story-collator.
Write 500 words (no more or less), based around and including a sentence from literature that I will set each Friday.
Work to be handed in (posted) by the following Thursday, though latecomers will be added as and when …
This week's sentence, taken from Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" is:
"When I found so astonishing a power placed within my hands, I hesitated a long time concerning the manner in which I should employ it".
We'll start this week with Kate, in honour of her playing catch-up and writing two stories in one week. The first (a real chiller) can be found back here with the James Joyce stories, and here is this week's:
Kate's "The Art Of Fear"
Hee hee. An object lesson to us all.
Pacy, paranoid and expertly building the tension to a wonderful last line.
I really don't want to walk down the street right now.
Next up:
Katherine's "Eye Of The Beholder"
Brr … Truly scary and horrific stuff from Katherine this week.
This reads like something from Solzhenitsyn. One Day in the Life of Katherine Denisovich, maybe.
It turned my latte into a frappucino.
Robyn's "Undiscovered Genius"
Woah, Nellie! Listen up, young Robyn: you may make a glorious champagne torte but Old Dive makes the creamiest risotto in Blogville and don't you forget it! Hee hee.
We're gonna have to have a risotto-off.
Until then, back to your story …
Oh, my; what a fabulous ending.
I defy anyone to read this story without heading straight for the kitchen.
That's what I did and I've now added a home-made Shaker Spice Cookie to my coffee (previously chilled so efficiently by Katherine).
Prudence's "When Push Comes To Shove"
Boy howdy; sexism and the glass ceiling get kicked to pieces by the fury of Prudence this week, and a good thing, too!
But what a way out of it!
A fantastic finale that had me gasping and then giggling and then applauding.
Sigh … I know "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" is not the best advice but in this case it is making me grin and grin, even more after re-reading it.
You've just got to love (and be slightly scared by) the imagination running rampant around Blogville.
Last up this week (apart from any latecomers):
Dive's "The Deathbed Confession Of The Monster "Dive"
as witnessed and transcribed by Ms. Mary Shelley"
A luurve story, no less, in the turgid and overblown style of the good Ms. S.
Next week's sentence will be posted tomorrow.
Actually I have no idea what it will be yet so I'd best finish my coffee and cookie and head for the bookshelves …
5 comments:
You can't be eating a cookie, you weak man. It goes against your goal of weight loss. I will not compete against your risotto, by the way. I'd lose for sure.
This was a great sentence to work with and opened up so many opportunities for us all.
As my eating the cookie was your fault, Robyn, Dive's Laws Of Physics state that YOU gain the calories. Yay!
There sure were a diverse selection of stories from that sentence. I've now decided on the next one and it's another short one so it should be popular.
Ah, haven't had much extra time for reading the stories this week, but will duck back in a day or so and enjoy...
Finally read the stories. They get better each week. Another job well done!
Love how each of these stories took me down a different path -- all with surprise endings. Well done, everyone!
Post a Comment