Thursday, August 20, 2009

500 Words V - Stories

A bit of a tough sentence last week it seems.
So far only two of you have handed in your homework (and one of those is me).
This week's was from James Joyce's "Ulysses":
At this intelligence, in which he seemingly evinced little interest, Mr. Bloom gazed abstractedly for the space of a half a second or so in the direction of a bucketdredger, rejoicing in the farfamed name of Eblana, moored alongside Customhouse quay and quite possibly out of repair, whereupon he observed evasively:

"Everybody gets their own ration of luck, they say."

Next week's sentence shall be a lot easier.

Latecomers will be welcome, so if you have a story, do post it.
Here are the Joyce stories so far:

Katherine's "Untitled"

Chuckles aplenty as Messrs Bloom and Oberdimer vie for your sympathy and I must confess after a second reading mine lies with Mr.O.

Some wonderfully "English" dialogue in this one, too. Hey ho … er.

Dive's "The Luck Of The Irish"

A tricky bastard, that luck.

Tune in tomorrow for a much easier sentence.

Ah, here comes Robyn, just sneaking in before the deadline.

Robyn's "The Luckless Mister Bloom"

Poor old Bloom. None of us seems to have given him anything to be cheerful about. Though at least Robyn offers him the prospect of a vacation of sorts.

And oily coffee …

And a dentist joke (yay).

And also sprinting home just in time is our Prudence.

Prudence's "The Comeuppance"

At last Mister Bloom gets some luck, and what a glorious piece of luck it is! Woohoo!
I shan't spoil it for you but there is some delicious detail in Pru's devious tale and a wonderful ending.

I'm still grinning.

Excellent stuff!

Here's Lulu, too!

Lulu's "Artie"

Oh yikes! Here's a version of Bloom I really want to punch in the head.
Lulu writes as brilliantly as ever, but instead of making me laugh stuff out my nose like last week, this week she hits the social realism and tragedy button. Hard!

A familiar character from a previous story makes an appearance and suddenly our opinion of him changes significantly.
I won't spoil it by saying any more.

Yay for Kate playing catch-up and bringing us at last to a decent haul of stories from the sentence you all moaned about.

Kate's "Untitled"

Wowee! A truly awesome piece of writing which drew me in and made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
Kate: that was chilling!
Aaron scares the crap out of me in a very Stephen King (back when he was good) way.
Great stuff!

20 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Don't worry Dive, your choices are not too difficult for your readers - there mere thought, pah! - it's simply lack of time and having to use that time elsewhere! Back soon. :)

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

the mere thought, not there. Pah. Again.

Lulubelle B said...

Dear Professor Dive -

I am writing to ask that you grant Ms Lulubelle B the courtesy of an extension for this week's writing assignment.

Lulubelle has the story outlined (it concerns a Mr Juice, I believe), however we at Acme Research Bureau deemed it necessary to send her to Big City to meet with clients this week, thus preventing her from finishing the project.

Lulubelle assures me that she will complete the assignment upon her return home to Land of a Thousand Condos.

We thank you in advance for your forebearance in this matter and will try in future to consider Lulubelle's outside obligations when planning out of town trips.

Yours sincerely,
Lulu's Boss

dive said...

Lynn: At this rate you're going to have to do a resit at the end of the academic year. Hee hee.

Lulu: But of course!
I can't wait to read it.
Have fun in Metropolis.

Scout said...

I won't read either until I've written my own, and I haven't had time for that this week. I'll try get to it this morning. It's a bear of a sentence, you slave-driving sentence setter!

dive said...

Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Dive,
It seems I have been rationed my dose of luck this week. I have just learned, last evening, I am going to be a grandparent. My mind is muddled beyond explanation and my story is only half finished. I cannot think clearly enough right now to finish it.
No, it really isn't a congratulatory event. Kids having kids, both living at home, off of their parents, no real job, either of them, no health insurance and not a pot to piss in... Why??? Life is going to be so hard for them now. I am beating myself up that I can't find one grain of happiness for them.

dive said...

Prudence, the happiness will come.

A lot of us had a tough start in life; when my dad came out of the RAF we lived for a while on nothing, in a small caravan in gran's back yard … and hey, we did alright.
A recession's as good a time as any to be born or to have a kid; things will get better over time.
You'll find the strength in yourselves to manage. After all, you've come this far and here you are: a strong, smart, independent woman; any kid would be lucky to have a gran like you (and such a glamorous one, too - hee hee).
Unplanned things so often turn out better than planned ones and I have a feeling this potential new Prudence will make you stronger and happier once you've got used to the idea.
They'll do fine.
You'll do fine, too.
You might not want congratulations (yet) but I'm sending them anyway, along with some hugs.
xx

Anonymous said...

Ok, I did it anyway. Idle mind and all. Better to keep busy. Go have a look.

dive said...

A far from idle mind, Prudence. That is an excellently twisted little tale.

What a wonderful title and a wonderful denouément!

Anonymous said...

ok, after I looked it up, seems I got me a climax!LOL

dive said...

O, hee hee hee, Prudence! I would dearly love to have the same dictionary as you.

from cali said...

Another fine job by all of you. I can't wait for the next installment.

dive said...

Cali: I'm afraid you've got seven story-less days to wait.
Next week's should be a doozy though. I think even YOU might want to have a crack at it.

Lulubelle B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lulubelle B said...

Here's mine, "Artie".

http://lulu-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/08/artie.html

We're coming up to my train stop, so I'll read the others this evening.

:^D

Lulubelle B said...

Hmmm...I've revise the first two paragraphs of my story. This week's process felt rushed, my own fault. Usually I let the story rest for a few days before posting, giving myself time for unhurried review. Not so this time. I hastily posted yesterday afternoon, but it didn't feel quite right. This version sets up better.

http://lulu-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/08/artie.html

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Congratulations dear Prudence! They are congrats because soon you will accept the unexpected and be so delighted. It happened to a friend of mine and now she has the most wonderful little 5 year old grandson running around her kitchen and sitting on her lap. She adores every hair on his head and you will too of course; the managing of the situation will come naturally I think and I'm sure friends and family will rally round to help. Do keep us posted!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Oh and Dive I'll try to avoid the re-sit but won't be submitting until next week when my German student friend returns to her homeland and I have more time.

Ms M said...

Another group of excellent and provocative stories! Love the different perspectives; everyone's unique take on "the sentence".