Saturday, August 29, 2009

Katie And Dive Do Blickling Hall - Pt.2

Come and join us as we promenade around the gardens of Blickling Hall.

This is the formal garden, filled with topiary and little hedge maze-lets in which to carry out secret dalliances.

One wonders what this little fellow has witnessed over the centuries; Henry the Eighth chasing (and catching) both Mary and Anne Boleyn, for starters.

The formal garden has a spiffy fountain in it. A good place to start our walk.

As we head out of the formal area toward the massive arboretum the garden gets less formal and more "English".
Peonies and wisteria. Yummy.

We kinda like it here.

Further out from the house we enter rhododendron country. A hundred acres of specimen trees underplanted with rhododendrons and azaleas. Late May is the perfect time to visit if you want to catch these guys in bloom.

Of course, wearing an appropriate colour is essential.

There are all manner of secret gardens and glades here, plus this chic little pavilion.

Somewhere nice and cool to sit while the sun bakes the lawns.
Out beyond the arboretum is the main park; miles of meadows and woods and the huge lake. We'll visit that another day; maybe in the autumn.

But for today, we've other places to visit so we'll wander back through the trees to the house.

And bid beautiful Blickling toodle-pip for now.

17 comments:

Ms M said...

Lovely tour and photos!

Sarah Williams said...

Very nice indeed!

It's making me a little tired, though, as I saw that "The Other Boleyn Sister" movie on a red-eye flight, so the memory of THAT makes me tired.

Did they film the garden scenes here? Seems like they should have, if it's not too hopelessly modernized.

Alifan said...

MMMMMM lovely wander down memory lane again with you two...did we really have all that blue sky?

Anonymous said...

What beautiful gardens. Thanks for the tour.

MmeBenaut said...

Absolutely beautiful; the scenery and the two of you together. Lovely! My favourite is Katie in front of that enormous rhododendron. I adore rhododendrons; more so since my only one nearly died in last summer's heat.

Cynthia said...

Absolutely beautiful gardens. Yes, the rhododendron picture is a favorite; imagine a plant getting that big and KT has on just the right color (colour).

neetzy said...

I love that amazing Rhododendron. You and Katie are adorable together.

mark said...

Another really nice post and beautiful photos. The lovely and talented Katie is a true gem. Im happy for both of you. I only wish you were (both of you) here so we could attend the Minnesota State Fair.
All the best to you my friend.

from cali said...

The rhododendrons are stunning! You and Katie look pretty good too. :D

Anonymous said...

Technical question regarding sentence - May we add words to the nominated sentence or must it be kept intact?

dive said...

Ms.M: It's such a lovely place it's impossible not to take nice photos there.

Sarah: I've not seen the film but if I ever do I'll let you know.

Mum: We did … and we still do; take a look out the window.

Lupine Lady: My pleasure.

Mme: Rhododendrons are being eradicated as a pest in certain places here now. They are somewhat invasive, but in a formal garden where they can be controlled (such as Blickling) they are permitted.
I hope yours pulls through.

Cynthia: Katie ALWAYS wears just the right colour (color) hee hee.

Neetzy: You should see the place for real; there are a hundred acres of blazing rhododendrons under the trees. In all colours.

Mark: We'll get there some day. I simply must eat "thing on a stick" at the State Fair.

Cali: Katie certainly does!

Kate: The sentence must remain totally original. Sorry, but no re-touching.

Scout said...

I really like this garden tour, and the photo of the two of you liking the English garden is adorable.

Definition, please: an English garden is not formal? Then why do the English have formal gardens?

Shan said...

Gorgeous place. Gorgeous couple. I guess I never said what job I would do at your new digs. Put me down for garden gnome. I'm mostly just a quirky decoration when it comes to usefulness.

I've never heard of the rebellious Rhododendron problem. I'd certainly prefer to have those running wild at my house over roaches or rats!

Katie said...

As much as I love Blickling Hall, I could happily live in the "chic little pavilion" at the far end of the property.

neetzy said...

My Dad left England yesterday. Our cousins are in Manchester. Shazza and I might have to come over together. We trust that you give us a proper tour!

dive said...

Robyn: a garden in the world outside is what you weird Colonials call a "yard". It can be any manner of things, but if it is set out in formal geometric patterns it is known as a formal garden.

Shan: you would make a wonderful gnome! Hee hee. Thank you for that irresistible image.
The rhododendrons are fine in gardens but it is when they escape that they cause problems. In wild places like Snowdonia in Wales they are rampant and killing all native plants so there are eradication programmes being carried out at various spots across the country.

Katie: There's no plumbing in there. You'd have to walk all the way to the main house to use the bathroom.

Neetzy: Hell, yes!

from cali said...

Weird Colonials? You left out lovable. :D