Monday, June 14, 2010

WTF Monday - Sweaty Special



Ah, those crazy Japanese and their delightful take on the English language.
I've always loved their car names: the Mazda Bongo Friendee, the Honda Vamos Hobio Travel Dog, the Mitsubishi Guts, Isuzu's Mysterious Utility Wizard and Giga 20 Light Dump and of course the Daihatsu Naked, to name but a few.

Pocari is a huge brand in Japan and if you're marketing an isotonic drink for athletes, what else would you call it but … er … "Sweat?"
It actually tastes like a slightly bland sprite in case anyone wants a sip.

16 comments:

savannah said...

*snickering*

Yes, it's true, WTF Monday always makes me snicker like a 12 year old girl and giggle! It's embarrassing! xoxoxoxox

Shan said...

WHAT? Surely you jest. Are you jesting? I had to look one of the cars up to confirm. They have way too much fun over there!! And they don't even know it? Bahaha

The seven year old sings a high pitched song about his friendee friendee(his blanket). We might need to offer it up as a jingle.

Katie said...

Too funny! See if you can get Pocari to be your UK spokesperson -- this is a great ad (although it would be better if you had a Honda Vamos Hobio Travel Dog with you).

Anonymous said...

Hey, that travel dog is a CAR. I though it would be a robotic pet. It's amazing to see the accommodations they've made so you can treat your dog like a member of the family. Imagine having floor mats treated to discourage mites. Icky.

At one phase of my life I thought it would be a good idea to put the kids behind one of those back-of-the-station-wagon dog grills and to put the dog in the back seat.

dive said...

Savannah: Snickering is healthy and giggling is exceedingly good for you so carry on.
xoxoxoxox

Shan: I never jest about Japanese cars. Hee hee. I saw a Mazda Bongo Friendee in Norwich a little while back but I didn't get my camera out in time. Hopefully I will catch it one day.
Friendee is a lovely word.

Katie: I rather think a flabby, middle-aged man is not the image Pocari want to project for their sports drink. It is rather yummy, though.

Lupine Lady: Yes, they are all cars. Insane names for rather dull utility vehicles. I thoroughly agree with you about swapping the dog and the kids. Hee hee.

mark said...

Dive. How about adding a generous ounce of Beefeater Gin and a slice of lime? Maybe call it a Gin and Sweat? Do you think it would sell?

Ms M said...

So, (after seeing Katie's blog entry today) is this another example of a "manly" drink?

I need to get a new vehicle soon. What do you know about the features on the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard? Can I program it to mow my lawn?

neetzy said...

Eww. Sorry, I don't think I'd drink something called "Sweat". Why aren't the Japanese cars named like that over here? We have the Honda Civic and Accord. How boring.

pilgrimchick said...

Awesome. Don't be surprised if these photos suddenly appear on an ad campaign in Japan for the product.

dive said...

Mark: I think you're on to something there.

Ms M: Not so much a manly drink as a sweaty one.
The Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard is regrettably a rather dull 4WD school-run tank (I think you call them SUVs over there) and not actually mysterious at all. It would make a real mess of your lawn.

Neetzy: They're pretty rare over here, too, but luckily some people import them for the sheer coolness of owning one. It's strange, but driving a Eunos Roadster is so much cooler than driving an MX5, even though they are the same car.

Pilgrim: If they want to use me in Japanese adverts I shall insist on the Bill Murray treatment from Lost In Translation (though speaking Japanese I should be considerably less lost than he was).

Scout said...

You'd think they'd have a westerner on their marketing team, for pete's sake.

And Dive, I'm stunned you know what a Sprite tastes like.

MmeBenaut said...

I think you should fill in for Bill Murray in Lost in Translation II !

So nice to see your smiling face dear and I'm definitely not going to Japan again unless you come as my translator.

dive said...

Robyn: I don't. Phil was with me and tried some and it was his comment on the stuff. Pocari Sweat is actually quite pleasant, though the idea of a fizzy sports drink seems silly to me. Too much gas.

Mme: I would love to spend a week in the Tokyo Park Hyatt with Scarlett Johannson! What a splendid idea.

Petrea Burchard said...

Sorry I missed this earlier, Dive. The photos of you make it work. A picture of the can wouldn't cut it.

dive said...

You're right, Petrea, a can of Sweat is not as amusing as a sweaty old man with a can of Sweat. Hee hee.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hee hee is right!