Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Let's Go Racing (Again)!

So off we toddle to Snetterton for a rather special Lotus racing day. Yay!
Say hi to the usual suspects: Sharon, Deb (hiding), Phil, Bethany and Mikey.

This is what we're here to see:
Sixty years of Lotus Grand Prix racing cars getting together for some fun.

From the oldest racers …

To the newest ones …

Some porn …

Some classic racing (these are current Lotus F1 drivers Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen really giving it some stick)

Er … Whoops!

Some thrills …

Some spills …

Some sex (this is Nick's glorious Lotus 7)

A bit of nose-picking …

And a spot of Grand Theft Auto from Deb and Phil.
Actually they got roped in to help push the vintage Grand Prix cars to the start line.
Sorry, guys, but you can't keep it.



A thoroughly splendid day.

12 comments:

savannah said...

Oh, Baby! Come to Momma!

*sigh* gorgeous cars. xoxoxoxo

dive said...

They are indeed gorgeous, Savannah. And not just to look at … the NOISE! Woah, Nellie!
xoxoxoxo

Alifan said...

Looks like another lovely day...looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos.. yummy cars.

dive said...

Lovely? It was bloody freezing! Great fun though.

Katie said...

What a fun day out! Amazing collection of beautiful cars. I like the older ones best, but the newer ones are awfully sweet too. In the video, it's amusing watching the white car spin out then get back into the race. Well, it probably wasn't funny for the driver. I'm sure Phil would have loved to push that car right on home!

dive said...

Katie: it was great fun. I must confess to liking the vintage cars far more than the new ones. They had a grace and elegance wholly lacking in today's sport.

The driver of the white car in the video was Rob Collard, who is a top touring car driver and so well used to being shunted off the racetrack. Lots of the day's drivers were top professionals out to have a day's fun to help celebrate the Lotus anniversary and there was a lot of spinning off the track and general, good-natured mayhem going on.

I am sure Phil would love to have that car on his driveway though his neighbours might complain about the noise.

Anonymous said...

I was at the grocery this morning at 6 and saw a huge trailer rig that had "Antique Carriages Carrier" painted on the side. I can only imagine the beautiful cars or carriages inside. Last Sunday there was an antique car show in our vicinity, but since our band gig there was cancelled, we didn't see any of the cars.

I love these older racers.

dive said...

Lupine Lady: Ooooh! I was at a carriage museum a while back. I may have to dig out the photos and post some.
Shame your gig was cancelled. Live music and old cars are a glorious combination.

Anonymous said...

Dive, one of the pieces we always played in the past was "In My Merry Oldsmobile." Here's a nostalgic clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAgN_w3TXZc&feature=related

Amazing lyrics.

dive said...

Ow, wow, Lupine Lady, that is totally awesome!
I grinned right the way through the song (and am still grinning). Those lusciously risqué lyrics are glorious and make me want to go automobobbling with Lucille. And I enjoyed hearing the wax cylinder noise in the background; I have a lot of recordings like that.

As for the video: it made me salivate for September, when we dress up and go to Goodwood for the vintage car racing. Some of the cars from that era are still raced today and the noise they make (and the smoke) as they lumber around the circuit brings tears of joy to my eyes.

mark said...

Great looking race cars. Looks like a fine day of racing. Nice photos.

dive said...

Cheers, Mark. It was a real fun day.