Friday, December 25, 2009

500 Words - Christmas Special

Merry Christmas, Blogville!

It's Christmas morning over here in The Divery and the snow outside my window may no longer be deep and crisp and even but at least it helps with the festive vibe.

In the spirit of Christmas I'm not going to set a 500 Words sentence for you this week; however, in the spirit of Scrooge I am still setting a writing assignment for your holidays.
This week's piece must still be precisely 500 words long but can be based on any darned thing you like.
Enjoy.

Being a ludicrously busy sort of cove I didn't have time (okay, I forgot) to make you a Christmas card this year (if you really want one, click HERE and HERE for the old ones), but this tickled me somewhat so I'll post it instead.

It's not so much the ciggies that cracked me up, but the … er … Prince Albert.
I don't know how many of you know what a "Prince Albert" is, but it seems that the good folk at Camel cigarettes are of the opinion that nothing makes Christmas truly Christmas like a big box of lung cancer and a festive cock ring in a tin.

Have an intercoursingly spiffing Christmas everybody.

20 comments:

Lulubelle B said...

Good Morning Dive. Yes, it's nearly 330am and I'm online. By pure serendipity, I've got a story for you. Although it takes place on Christmas Day, it's not a Christmas story. "The Morning After"

http://lulu-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/12/morning-after.html

And now I'm off to get some sleep. I've been working on my blog since, well, yesterday. (and this is the second time I've tried to post this comment. Bleepin' aircard burped and through me off the net. [Insert colorful New York- and Texas-tinged swearing here.])

Enjoy your holiday, be kind to your mum and try not to scare any children.

:^D

Lulubelle B said...

Fuck! It THREW me off the net. Yep, it's time for bed. LOL

dive said...

Nighty-night, Lulu, and Happy Holidays!
You just made me laugh so hard I sprained my face. What a truly awesome story.
Thank you for starting my Christmas day with laughter. What better present could anyone want?

Vanda said...

Apparently - if you can trust advertising - cartons of cigarette were very popular Christmas presents in the 40's and 50's. I personally would rather have a slab of bacon.

This freedom you are giving us is rather scary.

Anonymous said...

Use them with loving care. :P

from cali said...

Snowy CA! LOL. I think I'll head out for a walk on the beach - just for you!

Merry merry, again!

Petrea Burchard said...

This is awfully un-scroogey of you, Dive. Merry Christmas to you, too.

I don't know if I ever told you why I don't play play (and rarely read) 500 Words. If I started in on these I'd never make any progress on my other stuff. But it's a great idea.

Vanda said...

I went to bed last night with a germ of an idea for the story. Then I woke up this morning... You know the rest. But some coffee helped to bring the memories back.

Shan said...

Hope your Christmas was wonderful Dive! I didn't get to my computer to wish you well yesterday but I thought fondly about my blog friends across the globe on Christmas day. Hope you have a fabulous new year! We are just now leaving to celebrate at my parents house so everything is a bit late. Your snow nemesis has covered this part of the country with a vengeance and delayed travel of all sorts. Take care and stay warm!
Glad tidings!! S

Maria said...

I remember when bringing a carton of cigarettes was considered to be a decent Christmas present. Now, considering how pricey they are, it is also a gift that costs...

MmeBenaut said...

Costs $90 for a carton these days. I can remember giving my father a packet of cigs for a birthday present once.
Merry Christmas dear.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

You too, Dive! :)

mark said...

Im old enough to remember when cigarettes cost 30 cents a pack. When I quit smoking a carton cost $13.00. Happy After Christmas to you Dive.

Lulubelle B said...

Just thought I'd pop in to let you know that I've reformatted my post. It' now reads more like a script, so I hope it's easier to figure out who's who.

Katherine said...

I was away for Christmas, Dive, but you don't seem the type to be offended by belated well wishes. So here's to ya! And I am thinking of what to write....

neetzy said...

I just remember the prank phone calls. "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"
"Yes."
"Well, you'd better let him out."

Ms M said...

Nothing says Merry Christmas like Prince Albert on a camel in a can smoking a pipe...
(I know -- it was that 2nd glass of wine!)

Vanda said...

Done it!

http://toadberry500.blogspot.com/2009/12/desert-wind.html

Anonymous said...

We saw Prince Albert tonight in the "Young Victoria" movie. He never smoked a pipe in the movie.

Hope you had a nice day off on the 25th, Dive.

We were in Santa Fe, New Mexico--7000 feet altitude. Cold and snowy. And beautiful.

dive said...

Thank you all for thos lovely wishes. I've been neglecting my blogging duties this past week because of a severe bout of relaxed contentment.
Sorry about that.

Happy New Year one and all!