Sunday, December 20, 2009

Roll On Spring

"Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow …"

Sammy Cahn wrote those lyrics. He lived in Los Angeles.
If the bugger had lived anywhere that had snow he'd have changed his tune pretty damned fast.

Bollocks to snow!

Snow is crap.

I hate the smegging stuff.

Anyone who's dreaming of a white Christmas obviously doesn't live in a remote village with no gritters or snow-ploughs for miles.

If anyone wants all this snow, please come and get the bloody stuff.
It's not welcome here.
Actually, most of it had gone by the time I took these photos. It was a lot deeper on Friday and yesterday but the cloud cover made it almost dark and the blizzard conditions meant that only an idiot would venture outside.
The sun came out this morning so let's hope this stupid white stuff is gone by the time I have to drive to the station tomorrow.

Thaw, please.

Now!

17 comments:

Alifan said...

Very pretty...... thanks for telling me off!! I will be good now!!!!

Take care tomorrow

dive said...

I should think so, too. How are you supposed to get better if you keep traipsing around in the freezing cold and running other peoples' errands when you should be in bed?
Yes, I'm a nag but it's for your own good.
xx

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

First and last photos i love.

I'm a bit of a snow fan. Our roads don't get gritted either until you get to the main drag. Was out at 7.30 am this morning and slid all the way! Eek. We only have frozen slush though. Lethal but not as pretty as your lovely snow. Sigh.

Katie said...

Lovely snow photos. I like the top one especially -- looks like Minnesota after a mild snowstorm!

mark said...

You are right Katie. Minnesotans would call that a "dusting." Years ago I used to haul my snowblower up on the roof to get the snow off of it.
Im sure Great Britians only Olympic ski jumper "Eddie The Eagle" is relishing the snowfall.

dive said...

Lynn: I'd happily opt for slush. The roads are thick, hard-packed snow here with ice underneath and it's freezing hard tonight so tomorrow's commute should be fun (not).

Katie: Yes, I know, my snow is wimpy. Hee hee.

Mark: We've not had proper snow (the real sort that buries trains) since 1963. I can just about remember that winter and I don't want to see another one like it.
At least in Minnesota you have the infrastructure in place to deal with snow; over here the whole country grinds to a halt. Hey ho.

Vanda said...

I have the same feelings about snow. Never liked the stuff.

I feel compelled to rub in that here, in Lala land the weather is quite lovely, high temperatures in the 70's. I think it went up to 80 yesterday. Yes, you can hate me now.

from cali said...

Not a fan of snow either. The weather has been mild here in CA: mild enough for some walks on the beach. Don't hate me because my city is beautiful. ;-)

Ms M said...

Here's hoping it melts off quickly and in time for the morning commute.
I don't like it much when it snows here either because they don't have the proper equipment to get it off the roads, so it's bloody slick every morning until it finally all melts off.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Dive, I'm not resisting saying that mine is bigger than yours! Yesterday we shoveled and snow-blew thirty INCHES of snow off the driveway. Parts were totally bare, but most was under 15-30 vertical inches of drifts. They say that we had 17 inches of snowfall, but a lot of it "fell" horizontally with wind up to 35 mph gusts. For once the forecasters were right in their blizzard prediction.

I was puzzled at first by your term gritters. Here we call them sand-trucks.

dive said...

Vanda: I am so jealous! It's is freezing hard here and things look like getting worse before they get better.
At least after tonight the days will start getting longer.
Yay, solstice!

Cali: I wish I could join you!

Ms.M: Thank you. Unfortunately it did not disappear for this morning's commute, it simply got deeper and icier and I did not particularly enjoy a rather treacherous slidey drive from my village to the train station at five this morning. Now I'm here I'm wondering how I'll get home again.

Lupine Lady: I'd heard about your storm. Sheesh! That's serious snow!
I'm glad you live somewhere sensible enough to have sand trucks and snow blowers and snow-ploughs; we don't get them around here. Even after I'd battled my way out of the village and got on the major roads they were still treacherous.
Roll on Spring!

Petrea Burchard said...

"Anyone who's dreaming of a white Christmas obviously doesn't live in a remote village with no gritters or snow-ploughs for miles."

Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" is one of the most popular songs of all time, according to Wikipedia. You may know the opening lines, but many people are unaware of them. When you mentioned Sammy Cahn living in LA, it made me think of them.

"The sun is shining,
the grass is green,
The orange and palm trees sway.
There's never been such a day
in Beverly Hills, L.A.
But it's December the twenty-fourth,
And I am longing to be up North..."

and on into the "I'm dreaming" part.

I'd give you the tune if I could. We sang it in my junior high choir. But in case I don't get a chance to sing it for you you might pick up the sheet music.

neetzy said...

We had over a foot of the stuff on Saturday. I like the fact that school was delayed by two hours today! I slept until 6:30 am!

Scout said...

Yeah, but you've taken such beautiful photos, especially that last one. How interesting.

Maybe tomorrow I can take some snow photos here, although we don't have as much as you have.

dive said...

Petrea: You really don't want to hear my Bing impersonation. I know the song only too well.

Neetzy: Yay for sleeping in until 6:30! You lucky girl. Snow here just means I have to get up half and hour earlier at ten past four so I can get to my train. Hey ho.

Robyn: You are welcome to take all of my snow home with you and display it in your yard should you want a more Christmassy ambience.

Maria said...

Ugh. We have snow everywhere. An ice storm just passed and now a snow storm is predicted for Christmas Eve and Day. About a foot of snow on the way. I am crabby because my car is still in the shop being repaired. I am a total scrooge because my house guests are here and we are all safe and dry. Christmas presents wrapped and under the tree. Chili in crock pot tomorrow. Smoked turkey on the menu for Christmas. Lots of movies in our DVD box that we haven't seen. I own an electric blanket.

I am a fool. I should have plenty of Christmas spirit

dive said...

Brr, Maria. You guys have REAL snow. It makes me feel rather wimpy.

Have a wonderful Christmas (I know you will, despite your Scroogy protestations).