Friday, December 04, 2009

500 Words XVIII - This Week's Sentence

After last week's frenzy of looting and pillage, kindly allow me to set a slightly trickier sentence to test your skills, and one definitely suited to the season.

I've taken this from my lovely Arthur Rackham illustrated edition of J.M. Barrie's 'Peter Pan In Kensington Gardens', the precursor to 'Peter Pan And Wendy' which we all know and love.

The sentence is:
'There is almost nothing that has such a keen sense of fun as a fallen leaf'.

To inspire you further and draw you in to the færie world, here - lovingly (and carefully) scanned in by yours truly - is Rackham's beautiful original illustration for this week's sentence.
Do click on it to enjoy it at a somewhat larger size.

12 comments:

Katherine said...

What a lovely quote! I never thought of leaves as having fun, but I bet they do. Hmmm....

Shazza said...

I love the illustration Dive...it definitely adds to the quote. I'll have to see if I can come up with something this week.

Cheers!

Ms M said...

The illustration is wonderful! Looks like a great edition. I love stuff like this.

Cynthia said...

I love the Rackham illustrations. I have The Night Before Christmas with his illustrations that I'm taking East to share with my grandkid.

dive said...

Katherine: I've watched them in the park. They have a whale of a time.

Shazza: Don't worry about writing every week; I think I am the only one of us fool enough to try that. Whenever you do feel like writing, though, do please join in. I adored your first story!

Ms.M: Me, too. I've been a Rackham fan since I was a kid.

Cynthia: Yay for Arthur Rackham! I am so glad you've got one of his to pass along and enchant new generations.
I must confess I have always lusted after his Morte d'Arthur, but an original copy is way beyond my means and even a fine facsimile costs thousands so that shall have to remain but a dream.
Hey ho.
I do have a good edition of his Midsummer Night's Dream, though.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm …

Anonymous said...

Dive, there is now a wonderful fabric line with faerie designs that look quite like Rackham's style. Great for quilts!

dive said...

Oooh, that sounds nice, Lupine Lady. Not too sure I'd want tiny people crawling all over my quilt though.

Unknown said...

Breaking News!

I've overhauled my blog to something that can be advertised with my amateur efforts at writing. Sadly, I had to close the doors at the ol' robot workshop (sniff) but would like to invite you to join me at my updated site!

(please update your links!)

http://woodruffworks.blogspot.com

OR

Click Here

Hope this isn't too much of an inconvenience. While I'll miss the robot site, I do look forward to this site (it's pretty!)

Unknown said...

Just occurred to me that you might not recognize the signature. It's me, Todd (your former wondering robot), TR is actually my initials, and yes my last name is Woodruff.

Anyway, making the rounds on my friends sites with the update. My site's still a work in progress, but hope you like it!

(dive, ironically my authentication word is 'fixess')

dive said...

Woah! Nice look to the new site, Todd.
I've updated my link on 500 Words.

Sad to see the demise of the cute robot but the new place sure is pretty.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel - while I just adore my little robots, I have a sneaky suspicion the professional writing community would not.

Alas ... though I suspect the little buggers are lurking around in my basement somewhere and will appear in a story sometime.

Unknown said...

The guilt, oh the guilt. I couldn't pass another magnificent 500 words.

Here is my attempt this week.

Lucinda's Flight