Time once again to put on your pinnies and join me in the kitchen for another item on our menu of international cuisine.
This time we're heading over the pond to prove that the good ol' US of Ay has given more to the gastronomic world than the vomitous excrescences of viral junk-food, McD, KFC et al.
They've also given us cheez-whiz and Paula Deen's awesomely Elvis-licious "hamburger served between two Krispy-Kreme Do-nuts with a fried egg on top".
And of course the irresistibly creamy lush-fest that is clam chowder.
And yes, Mme, those are your Adelaide coasters we are using. Yay!
So … being a total US cookery virgin, I am basing this on a recipe from "Yankee" magazine, where they call it Down East Clam Chowder.
Dive? Using a recipe? Is the world ending?
Very probably …
But not before we've eaten, so let's get cooking.
To make this more of a transatlantic dish I'm using Italian pancetta instead of the "cubed salt pork" the recipe calls for and some deliciously creamy Jersey Royal potatoes.
As always, all ingredients are organic (except the crackers, dammit).
Plus, we're making it in Brundall from fresh, local clams so I'm changing the title to Down East Anglia Clam Chowder.
Yes, I said "we"; we're cooking for two now. Woohoo!
Pretty little critturs, ain't they?
I love the clattery sound clams make when I stir fry them, but we won't be doing that today.
Today they're going to die of cream poisoning.
The recipe says to watch out for sediment in the bottom of the pan, but that's only if you cook clams without letting them wash themselves first; these guys have been left in clean, slightly salty water overnight so they've spat out any sand they may have had left inside their tummies.
Jersey Royal potatoes. I know they're expensive, especially the organic ones, but this is a creamy dish and these are the creamiest potatoes on the planet.So duh!
And yes, I do know the one in the middle is an onion, thank you.
Hokay … Let's rattle those clams into a nice pot and give them a cup full of filtered water to bathe in.Then pop the lid on, nice and tight, bring the water to the boil and cook 'em for a few minutes.
The recipe says ten minutes but these local clams are fresh as fresh and were all done in four minutes.Perfect.
Discard any that are still closed; antisocial clams don't deserve to come to the party.
Pour off and retain the clam liquor (okay, let's get rid of all those "clam licker" schoolboy jokes here. Anyone still giggling gets no dinner).
Aww shucks! … Sorry, I couldn't resist …Yup … Shuck the little buggers. Or, better still, get your pretty girlfriend to do it for you while you photograph her. Yay!
Okey-dokey …So we've got the clams cooked and the bowl of clam liquor all ready; now we shall toss a chopped onion and a handful of diced pancetta into some hot olive oil and sweat the whole mess down to release all of that lovely fat.
Mmmmmmmmm … Fat …
I've said it before and I'll say it again: lean meat is simply an exercise in chewing; the flavour is in the fat. And this dish is so full of flavour.
Once the onion is transparent and the pancetta has sweated out, decant the lot into the big pot , add the clam liquor and the rough chopped potatoes and bring to the boil, adding just enough (not too much) water to cover the potatoes, and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
Now you want to add two cups of milk and two cups of cream (single cream - what the Yanquis call "haff'n'haff" - or evaporated milk)Let that settle into a nice comfortable simmer.
Add the clams and a big ol' wodge of unsalted Irish butter and simmer for a couple more minutes until the butter is melted and the clams achieve perfection.Do NOT bring to the boil unless you like tough, chewy clams and do NOT add salt unless you like everything to taste of salt and then die of a heart attack.
Believe me, there is sufficient cream and fat in this dish to bring on a good heart attack without spoiling the flavour with salt.
Dish it up! Woohoo!Serve with genuine Westminster all natural Oyster Crackers and a chilled white wine - we used a chardonnay-chenin blend to cut through the fat.
This is simply awesomely creamy and delicious. We made enough for four and ate the lot.Enjoy!


19 comments:
Oyster Crackers?! I did not know they existed... interesting. I shall have to ship some down under!
Nice-looking chowder! I will also have to get you to dish up and ship some down-under.
=)
mmmmmmmm, sugar or as the MITM just said, "now that looks good!" xoxox
Now THIS is something I've actually made before. I love clam chowder even though I have to have clams shipped in to middle Ohio. Looks great, Dive.
Gosh, I'd forgotten all about those coasters but seeing the word kangaroo brought the memory back! The chowder looks great Dive but you know me, anything to do with seafood and I cringe in the cooking department. I made chicken soup yesterday and a vegetable soup today (it is soup season) and on Friday I made a date and apple and spice cake with cream cheese frosting. Tonight I made baked apples which we had with honey icecream. Our neighbour has a granny smith apple tree and we were lucky enough to be given about 5 kg of apples so I've been making pies, cakes, pastries, anything to do with apples!
Your girlfriend has pretty hands! :))
Do you mind cooking this for me please? :p But only enough that the calories don't go over 360. So perhaps that's gonna be the size of a tea cup? That looks really delicious!!!
I love clam chowder and I am going to steal this recipe. Great photos too. Now Im hungry for a bowl of chowder. Thanks Dive.
Wow, I haven't checked in for ages and have come back to discover you went de-tox on blogging, denounced all social networking sites with a vehemence that surprised even me, found a life (hurrah!), and fell in love (oh my god hurrah again!). To top all this off, you're now cooking up clam chowder.
I wish you every happiness, Boss. In keeping with your real life theme, can I still look you up when I get to the UK to say g'day?
xxx
Must admit would not mind trying this recipe.....
Thanks for the cookies recipe and some of the ingredients.....
And thanks for the lovely photo's...really enjoyed our visit and chatting to the love of your life xxx
Full's birthday today OMG I am getting old!!!
CRIKEY !!!
My dear and wonderful friend Dive, you have done a marvellous thing and I am truly proud of you.
The heart will beat in a thousand different ways.
A thousand new horizons will unfold before your eyes.
And love will define itself in a thousand new ways.
RIPPER, old son, you have dun awfully good.
I send you my most huge blessings, - and some skin moisturizer to boot !!
I am so happy for you both.
Wow I just caught up! Some good news at last, with all in the news recently, we can do with some. Congratulations Dive! Very pleased for you both.
The Chowdah looks Delicious! Pancetta ooh! I'm a big Chowdah fan from way back. I grew up with clams. I love little variations in recipes. We thought we had the best at the clam bar in Somers Point, NJ. I must admit that your clams are prettier.
Dot: The soup'll be cold by the time it gets to you; you'll have to come up here and get it.
Savannah: It WAS good! I shall have to try some more US dishes sometime.
xoxox
Robyn: You have clams shipped to Ohio? Wow! You must REALLY love chowder!
Mme: Hee hee. Yes, the coasters always bring back nice memories of our time together.
Apologies for the seafood. I'll be doing cookies soon, so you should be safe with those.
Your soups sound yummy. If you're cooking with apples, try to get hold of some Bramleys; much nicer than Granny Smiths (no offence to any Grannies named Smith out there).
And yes, my girlfriend does indeed have pretty hands. Thank you.
Joy: A single spoonful of this stuff contains around four million calories, I'm afraid. This will have to be a rare treat for me.
Mark: Feel free to steal; after all, I stole it from Yankee Magazine. Hee hee.
Hi, GG! I'm always happy to hear from you. And yes, when you get to the UK you had damned well better come and see me; I'll be so upset if I miss you.
xxx
Mum: Yup; Phil's another year older, which is scary.
MB: G'day, mate!
Belated birthday greetings. I hear you had a great time. And yes, I'd been so many years alone that I'd forgotten love can actually be quite pleasant. Yay!
Lynn: I am rather pleased for us both, too.
Neetzy: You grew up with clams? I'd heard of kids being raised by wolves or bears but clams sound far more fun.
Yes, we have pretty clams here … ahem.
And the Pancetta is always delicious, too.
Feel free to post some clam recipes for me to try.
Well, shit. It would help if I actually liked clams....
One of these days you must make something with steak...
Hi,
For me, clams are with garlic and lemon juice. Simple.
Kind regards,
José
Post that cookie recipe! Those looked delicious.
The thought of you and your beloved cooking together is a sweet one. You sure do make quite a team in the kitchen! :D
Hey Dive! Well something is definately agreeing with you - weather it be the fantastic weather you have been having (we were just in the UK for 2 weeks of brilliant sunshine!), your blog holiday, your clam chowder or your someone special! You are looking good for it whatever it is. Well done you. Katherine
Maria: steak in chowder is just too icky. I usually only eat steak a couple of times a year and then as sashimi, which will probably totally gross you out.
Hee hee. Sorry.
Hi, José. Yes, steamed in garlic and white wine and served with lemon is my usual style, too, but I thought I'd try something American; it's the first time I've made chowder and I rather enjoyed it.
Hi, Cali! Great to hear from you. We do indeed make a great team in the kitchen, though mostly for comedy potential.
Hi, Katherine! You were in England and I missed you?
Damn, damn, damn!
I hope you had a great time. Yes, the weather has been pretty awesome of late.
Be sure and give Vic a hug from me when you next see her, even though she'll make a face.
Dive,
Not to say that your chowda does look good and have most of the right bits in it I will share a couple of Yankee tips that your recipe did not have.
Firstly, it must be salt pork. Us Yankees did not use Pancetta.
Secondly, after frying the salt pork into crunchy bit you then add the onion and cut up potatoes and fry them until the potatoes are most done. You wouldn't believe the difference in the flavor as well as releasing a lot of the starch, which in turn help thicken the chowda,… and for GODS SAKE
it is CHOWDA...
xoxo Pru
Yay, Prudence!
Gosh, I've missed you. Welcome home. I'll go put the kettle on (bugger that; I'll get the corkscrew instead).
You know I trust your impeccable taste so - even though I must avoid salt as part of my cunning plan to stay alive - I shall get a hold of some salt pork and make Chowda the Prudence way.
I can see just what you mean about the potatoes, too.
Hoorah for having two chowda recipes to alternate!
xoxo
Post a Comment