When you get to my age it flies past so fast.
Before I'd even got a proper look at yesterday … FOOM! … it had flashed past my grasping fingers and I'd got hit slap in the face with today.
Vic has brought this home to me with Pink Floyd Week.
I remember going to see Floyd's final tour a couple of years back, so I dug out the programme to have a look and it was nineteen fucking ninety-four!
What the Hell happened to those thirteen years?
I looked under the bed … everywhere … I can't find the buggers.
So I took out the programme (above), dug around in what is rapidly becoming an antiquarian item and found lurking within it a Pink Floyd Trivia Test.I remember this driving us scatty on the journey home from Earl's Court after the concert. So now I'm going to drive you lot scatty with it.
I'll divide it in half as there are lots of questions.
Tomorrow I'll post the second half together with the answers to the first half.
If you know any of the answers, pop 'em in the comments box. I'll be marking inaccurate answers just as highly as accurate ones; higher if they make me giggle.
Of course, if you went to see their last tour you'll have a copy of the programme with all the answers in, but try not to look at them.
Hokay; here comes Pink Floyd's very own trivia test (you can't get much more official than that):
1. What do "The Tea Set", "Sigma Six", "The Flowers" and "Jokers Wild" all have in common?
2. Whose are the vocals on: a) One of These Days; b) Have A Cigar; and c) Great Gig In The Sky (DSoM version)?
3. Who are Madamoiselle Nobbs and Seamus, and what is their relationship to Pink Floyd?
4. Who else made an album called "Dark Side Of The Moon" and when?
5. Who dirrected "The Wall"? Name two other films made by him featuring music and entertainment.
6. What is the underlying theme for "Wish You Were Here"?
7. Who drove a van for which famous fashion house?
8. Who attended which music college?
9. Who produced Arnold Layne?
10. Who is Norman Smith, what other name does he use and for what is this alias noted?
11. What does "Ummagumma" mean?
12. Name the two stars who provided spoken material for DSoM, but were rejected in favour of, among others, Jerry the Irish doorman.
13. Who played on a session for Wish You Were Here but was not eventually used? With whom was he recording at that time in EMI studios?
14. In what country was "Another Brick …" banned?
15. Who was first considered as a replacement for Syd Barrett in 1967?
16. Which future Leutenant Governor of California worked on which Pink Floyd soundtrack and who directed that movie?
17. Which director went on to make which successful Hollywood film after making "More" and "La Vallée"?
18. What is scientifically incorrect on DSoM's cover, and what is missing?
19. Is Syd Barret's real name Roger, David, Nick or Rick?
20. Was DSoM originally conceived in Abbey Road, St.Augustine's Drive or Rodeo Drive?
21. Where did the title Atom Heart Mother come from?
Where would you find:
22. "Coral caves"?
23. "Watching the watcher"?
24. "Distant ship's smoke"?
25. A wooden leg?
26. Reference to the I-Ching?
27. "Quiet desperation"?
Right. That's enough to be going on with.
Have at 'em and good luck.
18 comments:
Oh god. I haven't had my coffee yet. Pink Floyd was all about high school and hanging my head off my bed and letting all the blood drain into it. I didn't think about much of anything.
Hee hee, Sassy.
Hey, back in 1975 we played the whole of Dark Side live at school. We made a damned fine job of it, too, especially Lindsey Batten, who did Great Gig In The Sky.
Wow! I'd forgotten that.
ARRGH! I know absolutely nothing. I hate failing quizzes! Ask me about Mozart, go ahead.
As nobody's attempted any, you only need to answer one to win (so far) and entertainlingy wrong answers will get higher marks, Robyn.
And since you ask:
What part of the body links the Pogues with Mozart's K231?
AHA--the "arse."
gawd...i barely remember yesterday, sugar
Full marks, Robyn.
Ever one for a bit of rudery, young Mozza scribbled the words "Leck mich im Arsch" (Lick me in the arse) on the manuscript for K231 (as any schoolboy knows), and the Pogues were originally "Pogue mahone" from the Irish for Kiss My Arse.
Savannah: I'm missing whole decades!
"Mozart, bloody special needs boy"
My favourite quote from the much missed Linda Smith.
I'll lend you my book with all her routines in.
She was the best.
Okay Dive. You had a fuck I'm old moment. You know what makes it worse, don't you? When some little shit pipes up and says:
Nineteen ninety-four? Holy crap, I was fourteen then. I hadn't even been to my first concert. I hadn't even picked up a guitar yet. I'm sure that makes your day.
Now you've picked on someone whose trivia retention isn't that great with this test - but I'll have a bash anyway.
Cheers, Vic. Hee hee.
I played my first gig in 1969.
That really DOES make me feel old.
1. These are the common linking factors that define you are too old and have ended up in a bridge party for the 90+ age bracket. Bring out the dencorub and floral prints to fit in.
2. Whose are the vocals on the album version (2007) of I Dunno performed by Vic tells Dive to shove his quiz
3. They were also charcters in the drug-induced haze Syd Barret was wandering through when he came up with the name The Pink Floyd.
4. A group called the Fargone Beauties did a country album called Dark Side of the Moo. Does that count? It's only a letter missing after all. And it's country so you have to expect that.
5. I can't remember old bud's name, but I know in hindsight he thinks the film was crap.
6. That is something you might wonder when you look at my HNT post today....
For questions 7 through 10 I will do an impression of Syd Barret being interviewed in the US. Stare blankly at not open my mouth.
11. Ummagumma translates to I've got my mouth full of cock, fuck off
12. Judy Dench (why not she has a sexy voice) and Sean Connery. Think how many women would have been ino it then....
13. It's a rare fact that accordion player Anton Garduccio sat in for the sessions on Wish You Were Here. He wasn't actually in the studios to record with anyone else at the time - he was just perpetually wandering the halls pretenting to be a real musician. [actually... how cool would a squeezebox version of that song be?!]
Due to the immense cost in producing a light show and fireworks constraints, the answering of questions 14 through 17 has been cancelled until further notice.
18. It's incorrect? Well that's why I dropped out of physics class. Really, my prac reports were due and I hadn't written any up for nearly a year. So I quit instead.
19. It was all four simultaneously. In alternate realities. In his head.
20. It was originally concieved in a back alley called shitabrick lane. But they don't want to admit that.
21. Atom Heart Mother was a short-lived brand of lollipop at the time. It had a glob of wasabi in the centre. Can you tell I don't have a clue? But I bet you're dreaming of it.
22. Maybe I should ask Gayman when he wakes up...
23. Oh yes, this was me the other day at the jewellery shop.
24. [INSERT GASP OF SURPRISE!] AN ANSWER I'M NOT BULLSHITTING!!!!!
Comfortably Numb, The Wall.
25. Well, the wooden leg was very nearly found on my own body after my arse over tit adventure at the fruit shop this morning. I blame you, Dive. I was thinking about answers to this quiz, and not the awkward step out of the cargo-unit coolroom.
26. Drop the I- bit and let's say ching is from the cash register sounds intro to Money on Dark Side of the Moon.
27. Well, it is the English way after all. I am one hour (and one arse over tit adventure) closer to death having answered your quiz, Dive. Cheers, even if you are an old fart.
Vic; you're a star.
Here are your marks:
1. Wrong but so right:
2. Hee hee hee
3. Good answer but not as silly as the correct one.
4. If they're Australian, that's close enough.
5. That's him!
6. I'll go take a look.
7 to 10: Close enough.
11. So close it's scary!
12. That would have been so much better than the right answer.
13. Way cooler than Floyd's own answer.
14 to 17. Probably a good idea.
18. Hee hee hee
19. You're probably right.
20. There is actually a Shitabrick Lane in Cambridge so you could be right.
21. Oh hee hee hee hee hee. That one got me!
22. He'll know.
23. Hee hee.
24. WOOHOO! An answer that chimes with Floyd's own!
26. Wrong but excellent.
27. An old fart thanks you, Vic.
You have scored far more than if you'd got 'em all right.
Check the answers with today's post.
There's actually a Shitabrick Lane?!!!! You have to be kidding. Or you have to blog it.
In 1975, I was a junior at an all female Catholic high school school.
I remember the group of girls who liked Pink Floyd. They were cool. I was not cool. I was in the nerdy smart group who picketed the school cafeteria to get rid of styrofoam. I didn't know about Pink Floyd.
I think I would have looked good in those leather jackets, though.
Sorry, Vic; we have "Gropecunte Lane" and "Sluts Hole Lane" but regretfully no "Shitabrick Lane". It's a boring old world.
Maria: Floyd were indeed cool in 1975; now they're just old folks' music and picketing schools on Green issues is cool.
Who'd have figured?
What is the underlying theme for "Wish You Were Here"?
I do know it's in relation to Syd Barrett and his quest for solitude.
Spot on, Rich.
Though the original title of "Wish You Were Her." was much better.
Post a Comment