Yay for Horton hearing a Who! I so love that story, Robyn (though not the crap live action movie they made of it).
"Who Ate All The Pies?" is a taunt used over here for fat people like me. I think it started as a football chant or something, but it's become common parlance. I always assumed I'd eaten all the pies but it turns out VY Canis Majoris scoffed the lot.
Savannah, now you know. xoxoxoxox
Vanda, Wolf 359 isn't a planet, it's a cute little red dwarf star about 10 light years away (a close neighbour). They're usually named after the astronomer who finds them these days as they long ago used up all the gods and mythical creatures. Mr.Wolf is quite a busy man; he has had loads of comets and asteroids tagged and also a type of star (the Wolf-Rayet). Boring but true.
Actually, I'm reaching the age when an Arthur Dent dressing gown seems an attractive proposition on a cold night like tonight. The Total Perspective Vortex no longer works. I ate the cake. Sorry.
Well, if the Karl Lagerfeld gets hold of them, those hefty planets and stars will be Photoshopped into unreality.
On recent early mornings, when I've been trying to make it to the Coke Field to see the sun rise, I've caught myself wondering whether my trudging dutifully east wasn't causing the Earth to turn a bit faster, increasing the likelihood the Sun would already be up and about.
WV = tiamori. Dunno. Just thought it sounded pretty
This is really fascinating to contemplate. Like Robyn, I'd like to see earth next to Canis Majoris -- try and wrap my brain around that. I think comfy clothes (like dressing gowns) are excellent for intergalactic travel. Remember: Don't panic
John showed me this graphic the other day. You two must read the same websites. I like trying to think about these things, but I don't get very far. A parsec or two, I hit my wall and it's right back to dressing gowns.
Hee hee. Me too, Neetzy. So much more elegant than sweat pants to slob around in over the holidays.
Speedway, I snorted out loud at the thought of Photoshopped "Skinny" planets. If your dutiful trudging is indeed speeding the planet then I say 'keep pedalling!' … Bring on Spring even faster. Tiamori sounds like a cocktail from New Zealand.
Ms.M. Winter is the season to join Arthur Dent and travel the universe. I've spent increasing amounts of time over the past couple of weeks standing in a muddy field a few miles north of here (no lights) as Orion has been creeping up the sky. Take a good pair of binoculars somewhere really dark and gasp in wonder at what you see.
Petrea, there's still time to ask Santa. I'm glad John and I share an interest (apart from Pasadena bloggers, that is). This graphic has been doing the rounds of the astronomy websites just lately as astrogeeks like myself have been gearing up for the holidays.
11 comments:
Wow. I'd like to see Earth next to the last one—it would be like Horton talking to the Whos down in Whoville.
But, what do pies have to do with this?
Thank you, Robyn! I was wondering the very same thing, as well!
xoxoxox
Wolf 359? I like that planet already. Who names them anyway?
Yay for Horton hearing a Who! I so love that story, Robyn (though not the crap live action movie they made of it).
"Who Ate All The Pies?" is a taunt used over here for fat people like me.
I think it started as a football chant or something, but it's become common parlance.
I always assumed I'd eaten all the pies but it turns out VY Canis Majoris scoffed the lot.
Savannah, now you know.
xoxoxoxox
Vanda, Wolf 359 isn't a planet, it's a cute little red dwarf star about 10 light years away (a close neighbour). They're usually named after the astronomer who finds them these days as they long ago used up all the gods and mythical creatures. Mr.Wolf is quite a busy man; he has had loads of comets and asteroids tagged and also a type of star (the Wolf-Rayet).
Boring but true.
Isn't this a little like The Total Perspective Vortex?
All we need now is a nice cup of strong hot tea, a towel and a dressing gown.
Actually, I'm reaching the age when an Arthur Dent dressing gown seems an attractive proposition on a cold night like tonight.
The Total Perspective Vortex no longer works. I ate the cake. Sorry.
Thank you for that dear friend. I have been feeling extremely fat. Now I feel insignificant!
Oh and I could so live in a dressing gown!
Well, if the Karl Lagerfeld gets hold of them, those hefty planets and stars will be Photoshopped into unreality.
On recent early mornings, when I've been trying to make it to the Coke Field to see the sun rise, I've caught myself wondering whether my trudging dutifully east wasn't causing the Earth to turn a bit faster, increasing the likelihood the Sun would already be up and about.
WV = tiamori. Dunno. Just thought it sounded pretty
This is really fascinating to contemplate. Like Robyn, I'd like to see earth next to Canis Majoris -- try and wrap my brain around that.
I think comfy clothes (like dressing gowns) are excellent for intergalactic travel. Remember: Don't panic
I'd like a nice dressing gown for Christmas.
John showed me this graphic the other day. You two must read the same websites. I like trying to think about these things, but I don't get very far. A parsec or two, I hit my wall and it's right back to dressing gowns.
Hee hee. Me too, Neetzy. So much more elegant than sweat pants to slob around in over the holidays.
Speedway, I snorted out loud at the thought of Photoshopped "Skinny" planets.
If your dutiful trudging is indeed speeding the planet then I say 'keep pedalling!' … Bring on Spring even faster.
Tiamori sounds like a cocktail from New Zealand.
Ms.M. Winter is the season to join Arthur Dent and travel the universe. I've spent increasing amounts of time over the past couple of weeks standing in a muddy field a few miles north of here (no lights) as Orion has been creeping up the sky.
Take a good pair of binoculars somewhere really dark and gasp in wonder at what you see.
Petrea, there's still time to ask Santa.
I'm glad John and I share an interest (apart from Pasadena bloggers, that is). This graphic has been doing the rounds of the astronomy websites just lately as astrogeeks like myself have been gearing up for the holidays.
Post a Comment