Surviving German bombing and the equally destructive 1960's "Let's rip the heart out of the mediæval town and fill it with 'modern, American-style' big roads and vast car parks and a one-way system that only a brain-damaged octopus could have designed" misguided planning authorities, this cute little house sits in Great Yarmouth, between - on the one side - St.Peter's Church, and on the other, a needless arterial road leading nowhere, a supermarket and acres of massive ugly car park.
Great Yarmouth does have its treasures but they are regrettably few and far between. Any fan of Dickens on a David Copperfield pilgrimage will do better to stay home and read the book unless they are also masochistically addicted to disappointment.
People who enjoyed Black Beauty during their childhood can, on the other hand, find Anna Sewell's little house still standing. I suppose the only thing that can be said for the dreadful desolation around it is that at least visitors will find a place to park.
The house itself is part of a late 16th century range that has been considerably knocked around over the centuries; the mix of Georgian windows to either side and of later replacement leaded casements to the house itself, plus Victorian added porches makes quite a charming medley.
Behind the house on the left is what remains of the mediæval monastery attached to St.Peters, but the whole area had the shit bombed out of it so there's not much left.
Anna Sewell's little house still cheers me whenever I drive past.


10 comments:
It'll cheer you up further if you play 'Galloping Home' on your iPod at the same time. Happy memories of Sunday teatimes in front of the telly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0upwJC-XKBI
It is charming. I could live there easily! Looks like just enough room.
How sweet? And Prudence, so many women I know have been telling me how they could live in much smaller houses with just enough room for them and maybe a dog. It must be the phase of life we're in.
Hahahahaha, Pea. Thank you so much for those unwanted memories. Hilarious!
Pru, there's plenty of room; the houses are narrow at the front but have Victorian extensions going way back at the rear.
Robyn, I'll swap you. Your house is just about big enough to get all my books in. Hee hee.
Shoot, I love that house, but I want room for books and a studio full of daylight. Maybe a cat and a man to add warmth (but not if he becomes demanding and inconvenient). And a stove that works, a washing machine and dryer. Will they go in the front door?
I have never forgotten Black Beauty, read it a gazillion times as a little girl. Always cried over Ginger and the war horse. Hated the TV adaptations.
That is a charming house! It sounds like it's been through so much it's a miracle it's still standing.
I read Black Beauty as a kid, too. Fond memories.
Speedway, that's a lovely list to dream about (except maybe for the man), but contrary to the US image we don't all live in castles over here; English houses are teeny tiny as a rule (mine is much smaller than Anna Sewell's). I certainly don't have room for such luxuries as a dryer. The average American home seems like a palatial expanse to me.
Sigh …
Ms.M. Very few old houses remain unchanged. And a good thing, too, as who wants to live in one big room with a central bonfire and no glass in the windows and an outside kitchen and privy?
Gosh that was one of my favourite books and no doubt contributed to me wanting a pony and riding lessons. I went to pony club sans pony but the school always provided me with a horse, once even one called Black Beauty which horse planted its feet at a jump and I sailed over its neck. After that I went back to my trusty gelding, appropriately named "Gaylord" who was an older, wiser chap and very kind to a little eleven year old girl. I remember the name Anna Sewell too and I adore this little house in which she was born.
To have room for books, studio, cat and inconvenient man, I'm wanting a little mom-n-pop store front. While becoming rare even over here, they can be found, particularly in small towns, such as Marietta Ohio. The store front would be my studio and front room, with living quarters and man-cave to the back (though the way things are going, I may have to keep the man in a pit, which would make him even more inconvenient, etc.) And they don't have to cost a couple necessary limbs, either. One I'm keeping an eye on is about $60K.
Hee hee, Pru. Mine, too!
At least we're comfortable when we sit down.
Woah, Mme. You really rode a Black Beauty (and got launched over a jump by it)? Hee hee.
Gaylord's a great name. I think it should come back into style.
I'm so glad I could post something that connected back to your childhood.
We don't have those over here, Speedway, which is a shame as they're cute.
Don't bother with the man pit; you'd only have to feed and clean up after him. Men are only good for one thing: getting spiders out of baths. And now you can buy little spider catcher things on long sticks so nobody needs a man any more.
Post a Comment