Saturday, December 03, 2011

Saturday Statuary - Suffragette City

"S" is for Saturday and Statuary and also for Suffragettes. This is a strange little statue tucked away in a damp corner of Westminster (the big girls' Suffragette memorial is in the gardens of Westminster Palace and will do for another day's post).

This one never ceases to rankle with me. Read it and see why. Even in erecting a monument to the struggle for women's suffrage the city authorities manage to put men before women.
Sheesh!

Happy Saturday, peeps.

8 comments:

Alifan said...

What a lovely curve..

Speedway said...

Strangely, it looks like a giant chocolate curl, the thing we all turn to when our men fail us - until we realize we've been braving it out on our own all along.

dive said...

It's a slinky, sinuous, sensual "S', not what you'd normally think of as Suffragette qualities but hey ho.

Speedway, does chocolate really come in curls on your side of the pond? I'd love to try that.
If women paid less attention to their hormones and more to what really matters they'd leave out the "men" part altogether and skip straight to the chocolate.

Speedway said...

It comes in curls only when you make it for cakes and stuff. Ask your mom. I like men better than most chocolate offered, but would take a good piece of chocolate over most of the men available to me.

And what should men do? Go straight to the pub.

WV: pierib - I guess when (wo)man wanted a mate, instead of a (appropriate gender here), a piece of pie was made from (wo)man's rib. Flavor of choice, of course.

dive said...

Ah! Chocolate shavings for cake decorating. I'm with you now. I thought I was missing out on some new way of eating the stuff.
I'd take chocolate over men any time.
Pie-rib sounds like truck stop food. Yum!

Ms M said...

The curling statue looks cobra-like; a strange shape for honoring suffragettes. I agree that the way this is worded is insulting to the women who went through so much. As you would say, a pox on those responsible.

Petrea Burchard said...

It was the first thing I noticed. Glad I'm not the only one.

dive said...

It is indeed a strange and inappropriate memorial, Ms.M. It sits across a little park from the execrable Purcell statue I posted a couple of weeks back, so perhaps this is just the place they store all the bad statuary.

Petrea, women have the vote but it seems not many of them are yet allowed to sit on the committees that decide the wording on memorials. Time for change.