Ha ha nice to see you back, thought those might be the first ones to go on. Hope work goes well. I will work on the videos! at least it will keep me busy whilst suffering this head cold… just hope I have not given it to you!
For some reason beyond the comprehension of anyone but the French, there are two (count 'em) separate statues of this particular scene in the Louvre. I've checked Ovid; I've even checked Æsop, but drawn a blank all round. It must be something peculiarly Gallic; mayhap an educational aid for children of fois gras producers.
PARIS! Very nice way to spend a few days, sugar. *nodding* I've stopped questioning the French and their habits and tastes. I do love seared fois gras. . .
And then, when all is said and done, just be glad that it's a French statue of a boy throttling a goose. Over here, it'd just be some kid chokin' a chicken in order to get some fried chicken livers.
Savannah, it was indeed a very nice place to spend a few days. Unfortunately, it was Phil and Dawn spending a few days there and not me. Hey ho. xoxoxox
No, Speedway: I didn't go. I'm too skint to afford the train fare these days; let alone the cost of somewhere to stay. You can thank Phil and Dawn for any weird Parisian photos you might see over the coming weeks.
Boy, howdy, you are still the queen of research. That's some article by Brunilde (great name). She's clearly someone with way too much time on her hands.
Ah, yes, a French boy throttling a goose for, maybe, some pate de foie gras. In my part of the woods, a boy would be choking his chicken with only a small enotion of having fried chicken livers for dinner.
11 comments:
Ha ha nice to see you back, thought those might be the first ones to go on. Hope work goes well. I will work on the videos! at least it will keep me busy whilst suffering this head cold… just hope I have not given it to you!
Ick! For the cherub and for the goose.
Feel better, Alifan.
For some reason beyond the comprehension of anyone but the French, there are two (count 'em) separate statues of this particular scene in the Louvre.
I've checked Ovid; I've even checked Æsop, but drawn a blank all round. It must be something peculiarly Gallic; mayhap an educational aid for children of fois gras producers.
Ha! Looks like a case of "goose-o-cide". I've never been a fan of fois gras.
Alifan, I hope you're on the mend!
PARIS! Very nice way to spend a few days, sugar. *nodding* I've stopped questioning the French and their habits and tastes. I do love seared fois gras. . .
Hope you fell better soon, Alifan!
xoxoxox
Paris! Did you go after all? Great!!
Now for the boy and the goose, I found this:
http://www.ajaonline.org/sites/default/files/1104_Ridgway.pdf
There is mention in the article of the "Harpokrates lock" that seems to be the style of hair on the boy. I found an image of it here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22harpokrates+lock%22&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OhpLUsa-CIiSyAGiv4GICQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=728&dpr=1
And then, when all is said and done, just be glad that it's a French statue of a boy throttling a goose. Over here, it'd just be some kid chokin' a chicken in order to get some fried chicken livers.
"Goose-o-cide" … Word of the day, Ms.M.
Savannah, it was indeed a very nice place to spend a few days. Unfortunately, it was Phil and Dawn spending a few days there and not me. Hey ho.
xoxoxox
No, Speedway: I didn't go. I'm too skint to afford the train fare these days; let alone the cost of somewhere to stay. You can thank Phil and Dawn for any weird Parisian photos you might see over the coming weeks.
Boy, howdy, you are still the queen of research. That's some article by Brunilde (great name). She's clearly someone with way too much time on her hands.
Yikes! I just saw that typo re Alifan! FEEL, I meant to write FEEL. *groaning* xoxoxo
Ah, yes, a French boy throttling a goose for, maybe, some pate de foie gras. In my part of the woods, a boy would be choking his chicken with only a small enotion of having fried chicken livers for dinner.
Hee hee, Savannah!
xoxoxox
Speedway I am sure I don't know what you mean. Hee hee.
Post a Comment