Saturday, May 14, 2011

Oh, We Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside

Just to bring you up to speed now that Blogger has managed to get its trousers on the right way round:
Our Lynn from Cheltenham Daily Photo is staying in Norfolk for a bit. She's caring for her Mum and Dad; her Mum's been ill and her Dad's been in hospital for an op, but thankfully they are both on the mend.
Anyhoo, Lynn came for three days and has been stuck here for weeks, so we've been having some fun together (Lynn's joined the Saturday Breakfast Gang) and enjoying little excursions to distract her from worries and chores.

As for where we went last weekend, Vanda suggested a circus and Petrea a gay bar and I must confess this place combines the two. For we return to the heart of kitsch-crappy, tourist-tacky cultural desolation that is Great Yarmouth.























Ah, tristesse …
When I was a wee laddie, this beach at this time of the year was so packed with people that you had to tread on them to reach the sea.


No takers for the deck chairs


And only a single … er … sunbather, avoiding the rays.




What on earth has happened to the traditional seaside holiday? Where are the queues waiting to use the beach huts?


Whither the kids clamouring for their turn at the telescope?


Aha! Some sign of life! A busy shopgirl rushed off her feet by the crowds fighting to purchase buckets, spades and windmills.


Sqwawk!


At least there are fresh doughnuts. Yummy!
More from Lynn and myself later.
Oh, and please come to the beach for your holidays and liven the place up. It's like a bloody morgue down here.

14 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Woo Hoo!!!
Dear Him,
This is fantastic; beautiful photographs and half of Lynn! (Hellooo darling).
Will spend some time catching up ... I've been a bit busy this week with one thing and another but shall take a peek and comment in due course.
Loverly to be beside the seaside.
xxx Mme B xxx

dive said...

Hi, Mme!
I plan to surreptitiously post further parts of Lynn while she's not looking, so watch this space.
When you get a moment you'll have to update your profile photo to show off your lovely new hairdo.
xxx

Petrea Burchard said...

Hello, Lynnie! What a delight that she has a friend to show her around while she's performing her daughterly duty. Glad the folks are feeling better.

Is there something you're not telling us, Dive? Is it cold out?

dive said...

It was a lovely hot day, Petrea. Plenty of sunshine but weirdly, very few holidaymakers. It seems that the only people who can afford to go on holiday these days are the bankers, and Great Yarmouth has never featured highly in banking holiday brochures.

Ms M said...

Thank you for a surreal trip to the beach. It needs some music for a soundtrack...what would you suggest?

Also glad that Lynn's parents are feeling better, and that she could get away for a break.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Hi there everyone! Of course, a lady's ideal shot is to be caught on zoom scoffing a doughnut!...
It was great fun though and a lovely break. Dive's photos of the beach are fab aren't they. I take some credit for spotting the legs out of the tent shot hehe! Pics of lone people were aplenty, as Dive points out. All the better for us, though, having the place to ourselves. Fun and a much needed break! Thanks for the kind thoughts on my parents. Things looking more positive now.
Intrigued as to which of my parts will be shown here next - and not a little scared... ;)

Maria said...

I want to hear that sunbather's story. Because you just know it is good and probably has a cheating husband or a sick dog or both in it.

And hey...out of context, but I have you read Monmouth's "History Of The Kings Of Britain"? Because I was writing my blog today and wrote about this and suddenly I wondered if anyone in England read this....

By the way, my word verification is buttwise, which I think is kind of cheeky of you, Dive.

peahen said...

am I in a minority to think that the windfarm is quite beautiful? Have been to Yarmouth with the folks a couple of times (a bit further along - sand dunes) and really enjoyed seeing the windmills (the ones out at sea, not the coloured placcy ones).

This is a wonderful set of photos Dive, thank you!

dive said...

Ms.M, I think Roy Orbison's "Only The Lonely" would suit the crowded atmosphere.

Lynn, hoorah for doughnuts. I have eaten precisely two doughnuts since my teens and both of them were bought from that little old lady on the pier. I just love watching the things being made.
I promise our next trip out will be to somewhere less tacky (not a difficult task).

Maria, I think the sunbather probably died in the winter and nobody has noticed yet.
Yes, I have a copy of Monmouth's History. It's the only book on royalty I possess and I love the fact that it's almost totally fiction.

Hoorah for "buttwise."

dive said...

Pea, I think the windfarm is the most beautiful part of Yarmouth.
If you go to California (the real one, not the awful American copy) and clamber down the cliffs on a summer evening the sunset turns the windmills orange against the dark blue-grey sea and sky. It's quite a sight.

Petrea Burchard said...

"California (the real one, not the awful American copy)"

?

Where will I find that?

dive said...

Hee hee, Petrea. I'll post it next.

Robyn Martins said...

How fun. I'm so glad you two have been able to enjoy each other's company while Lynn's parents are unwell.

Great photos, too.

dive said...

Thanks, Robyn.
Actually finding time to fit in trips is tricky. We missed the chance last week, but hopefully - with Lynn's Mum and Dad getting gradually better - we might get out and about again sometime soon.