Apologies for the title, but ever since Petrea posted a glorious mural of … er … California having tumbled into the sea, that particular line from Steely Dan's "My Old School" has been going round and round in my head. Not that I mind; I've been a Dan fan for forty years (scary).
Anyhoo … in the comments box for the last post I happened to mention California (the real one, not the awful American copy) and Petrea wondered just where that might be, living as she does in the American version (which is not all awful of course; the Bay area and Pasadena are unconscionably spiffy, the bits with big redwoods are boffo, and I shall probably be told in no uncertain terms that other parts are quite nice, too).
So here it is (the real one):
Nestling on the Norfolk coast just past the middle of nowhere, the real California is a teeny tiny mediæval fishing village of about a dozen cute cottages clustered around a gap in the cliffs. Regrettably, in modern times it has been ruined by having a great big holiday park dumped right next to it. In the winter, however, when all the holidaymakers go home, it is enchanting.
And here (I hope Katie doesn't mind) is a resident of the American California in the real California.
I've never really believed that anything in America is real … too many Hollywood movies as a kid.
This has been a Public Service Announcement.


10 comments:
2nd time this has been mentioned today, so you get the video, sugarpie! xoxoxo
Hahahahaha!
Thanks for that, Savannah,
Awesome!
xoxoxo
I'll be willing to bet that this California is not going bankrupt or the people will not choose a ridiculously muscle-ridden, one-liner guy to run it.
California is so huge I haven't visited all of it. We have mountains, desert, ocean, lakes, rivers, beauty and ugliness. Pretty much the gamut.
The video is sooo, LA, Savannah, though even LA is vast enough to encompass many different cultures. Pity about the Pacific Theatre (seen in the beginning). It burned down weeks after I moved here and I never saw it--only the ruin of it.
@Petrea...i'm a cali native just living in the south, sugar! as soon as i touch ground in la, it's as if i never left! i even drive differently! xoxox
Ah, Savannah, you had me fooled because nobody says "Sugar" here!
Hi, Pilgrim!
The real California is not likely to go bankrupt just yet. The government built our biggest wind farm on a sandbank just off the beach so the handful of fisherman got very lucrative compensation deals. I think only one of them has a boat these days and he uses it to give tours of the wind farm to tourists.
Petrea and Savannah, I must confess I yearn to visit LA and San Francisco, but in this economic climate I'll have to stick to looking at blogs about them. Hey ho.
@Petrea...depends on where you go and who you know in LA, darlin! ;~D xxoo
@dive...would you like a list of our favorite LA movies? xxoxo
Savannah, if LA no longer looks like it did in Chinatown and LA Confidential then I don't want to see it. I'll hang on to my cherished dream instead.
xoxoxo
It does, Dive. Like Savannah says, you just need to know where to go. (And apparently I don't know the right people, Sugar!)
Post a Comment