Petrea: Oafish and chips is too funny. Hee hee. And very apt for the clientele of this particularly scummy emporium which specialises in greasy kebabs, deep-fried pizza (blech) and "chips in curry sauce."
Joy: How positively Belgian of you. I must confess I am also partial to chips and mayo (horrified gasps from the US contingent).
Yeah, this is pretty typical in Ohio, too. Obesity aside, I don't understand having chips and pizza in the same meal. Chips and burgers, pizza and salad, but chips and pizza just doesn't match. People in Ohio eat them together all the time.
Robyn, Vanda and Katie: I'm just home from London, pooped and hungry and the contents of my comments box have put me off food for the foreseeable future. Oh, well; I could do with losing some weight.
There's a pizza place here that has stuffed crust pizza and lasagna pizza (yes, that's lasagna noodles and "lasagna sauce" layered on top of a pizza crust, and topped with melted cheese). But I don't think they've thought of serving it with chips.....
Petrea: You'd be amazed what goes on top of the pizzas in Katie's neighbourhood. Actually, I quite like the sound of some of them, but don't tell any Italians.
Long story short: through family shenanigans I grew up with an Italian grandfather. I don't know if this is true, but he told me when he was growing up, pizza was what they gave beggars who came to the back door. They'd throw anything on it--leftovers, whatever they weren't going to eat themselves. So pizza as a main dish was something he didn't consider Italian.
Petrea: My Italian colleagues tell me that the cultural north-south divide in Italy is more fierce than the one in Korea and that nobody in northern Italy would consider pizza real food. I wonder if your grandfather was from the north?
Hey, Shazza! How's the painting coming along? I must say I like the sound of both those restaurants.
25 comments:
Mmm, oafish and chips.
I'm sorry to be first so often, Dive, but this is my surfing time.
Well, if they're oven baked... :D However, the most delicious chips are eaten with mayo! Can I have that extra light, please?
Norwich Daily Photo is back online!
Ha ha could do with some of those for all my company this week!
Petrea: Oafish and chips is too funny. Hee hee. And very apt for the clientele of this particularly scummy emporium which specialises in greasy kebabs, deep-fried pizza (blech) and "chips in curry sauce."
Joy: How positively Belgian of you. I must confess I am also partial to chips and mayo (horrified gasps from the US contingent).
Mum: They'd never forgive you.
Yeah, this is pretty typical in Ohio, too. Obesity aside, I don't understand having chips and pizza in the same meal. Chips and burgers, pizza and salad, but chips and pizza just doesn't match. People in Ohio eat them together all the time.
I wonder if they could simplify and just put the chip straight on top of the pizza. With extra cheese.
Petrea: I might have got it, but I most certainly don't want to eat it!
Vanda: I think you've hit on a winner. Start franchising it right away.
Not just extra cheese—MAC and cheese.
...and then deep-fry it.
Robyn, Vanda and Katie:
I'm just home from London, pooped and hungry and the contents of my comments box have put me off food for the foreseeable future.
Oh, well; I could do with losing some weight.
Hmmm. I always thought that instead of sausage pizza, a French version could be escargot pizza. Plenty of garlic, plenty of grease...
LOL, just after posting my comment, the next verification word is redred, perfect for the redneck fusion comments.
Lupine Lady: Now that one is actually almost tempting.
There's a pizza place here that has stuffed crust pizza and lasagna pizza (yes, that's lasagna noodles and "lasagna sauce" layered on top of a pizza crust, and topped with melted cheese). But I don't think they've thought of serving it with chips.....
Not the entire US, Dive. We still have San Francisco.
Petrea: You'd be amazed what goes on top of the pizzas in Katie's neighbourhood. Actually, I quite like the sound of some of them, but don't tell any Italians.
Long story short: through family shenanigans I grew up with an Italian grandfather. I don't know if this is true, but he told me when he was growing up, pizza was what they gave beggars who came to the back door. They'd throw anything on it--leftovers, whatever they weren't going to eat themselves. So pizza as a main dish was something he didn't consider Italian.
Perhaps that explains why they've not nuked you yet.
Hmm. Must be it.
Should open up a restaurant and call it "Eat until you blow up" or "Strap on the feed bag"
Petrea: My Italian colleagues tell me that the cultural north-south divide in Italy is more fierce than the one in Korea and that nobody in northern Italy would consider pizza real food. I wonder if your grandfather was from the north?
Hey, Shazza! How's the painting coming along?
I must say I like the sound of both those restaurants.
Why, yes he was. I didn't know about that division.
Cool! They may not like pizza, but northern Italy is such a beautiful place. My favourite wines, food and cars all come from there.
Im going to have the fish and chips or the bangers and mash. And a pint too.
Mark: Sounds like a well balanced and healthy meal. I think I'll join you.
Post a Comment