Friday, March 18, 2011

Cocks

This cheered me right up this morning.
For those Colonials who don't know him, the delicious young man in this video is Brian Cox, television's worst dressed sentient being, unfeasibly youthful professor of particle physics at Manchester University and author of some of my favourite books on quantum theory (you know physics gets me horny).
He has a reputation for being "nice" on TV so hearing this spoof soundtrack made particles of physics come out my nose at breakfast today.

My favourite lines:
"Imagine that the world is ROUND!"
and "Everywhere's covered in shit."

10 comments:

Kate said...

Mars: A place just like Earth... only a bit different.

Alifan said...

I think he is great, and like to think of him as a nice lad!! but then I am old!

dive said...

Kate: just a bit. I also had to giggle at the bit where he says clouds are made in volcanoes. If you've seen the original you'll know just how good a spoof this is.

Mum: he IS great. He writes fantastic books on physics (REAL physics books full of equations and trippy quantum theories as well as those pretty 'popular science' things he does with the BBC). I just wish he had some dress sense; he's too old to look like he's hanging around the back of the mall with the other 12 year olds.

Ms M said...

He sort of reminds me of Davy Jones, except that he doesn't sing, and it sounds like he's a brilliant scientist/physicist.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'd like to hear the real soundtrack, although this is really funny.

dive said...

Ms.M: you're right: there's a definite Monkees thing going on there.
Inevitably, Brian is in a band, too.

Petrea, no doubt the series will be repeated on US TV at some point (you must get old BBC stuff there like we get old HBO stuff here).
Unfortunately it is one of those "modern" documentary style programmes, where they've removed anything even remotely technical or complex from the script, made him go "WOW" a lot, and strobe-edited lots of irrelevant but pretty images to a dreadful bombastic (and way too loud) music track.

He was on The Sky At Night the other evening (a late night astronomy programme that has run for fifty years and is simply talking heads and the odd diagram) and it was so good to see him simply sit in a chair and talk physics. I bewail the dumbing down of TV documentaries. I would far rather watch him giving a lecture.

MmeBenaut said...

I'm with Petrea; I'd like to hear the original sound track. Hearing the word "fook" so frequently was just slightly irritating! No wonder strange particles came out of your nose. Hee hee.

dive said...

Mme, we find anything spoken in a Manchester accent comical here. I was watching his latest show last night and he's just as unintentionally funny without the help of an overdub. I noticed he does say "IMAGINE" (in capital letters) rather a lot.

We have another "popular physics" TV guy over here whose new series starts tonight. The improbably named Professor Jim al-Khalili is utterly wonderful and his shows are well worth tracking down.

neetzy said...

This was hilarious! Thanks so much. You don't know how much I needed a laugh!

Alifan said...

I watched the real thing last night for a while, he is good eye candy!!