Saturday, November 13, 2010

Let's Go Play In The Dictionary

Start each day with a poo and a poem and you won't go far wrong.

As a general Rule For Living I suppose that ranks alongside my 'Always live east of where you work.'
Half a century of learning from my own dumb mistakes has given me my own set of rules. As for those two: living east of where I work saves me getting blinded by sun-glare off wet roads on my way to and from the office and starting each day with a poo and a poem clears both body and mind ready for whatever horrors the day might throw at me.

Not groundbreaking, I know, but an accumulation of such nuggets helps me stumble along without bumping into too many sharp things.

This morning's poem (I'll spare you this morning's poo) turned out to be Mandrakes For Supper, by James K. Baxter (am I alone in ascribing ludicrous names to people who insert intrusive initials in their signatures? James Baxter has this morning been variously called Kleptomania, Kniphofia, Kimberley and Knickers and it's his own fault).

Anyhoo … His poem:

Mandrakes For Supper

Memory feeds us on a prison diet
Of bits and scraps. 'Remember Mr. X-,
That simple solemn man, so deathly quiet;

'And Sally Z-, compounded of raw sex
And circumstance' - 'Ah yes, her corn-gold hair …'
A land where roams Tyrannosaurus Rex,

The giant lizard, calloused by despair -
In Nowhere I received my education
(If memory can be trusted) mooching there

Like Dante's ghost, among a faceless nation.
The white antarctic Gorgon was my mentor:
Her cloudy arms, her eyes of desolation

Sisterly gazing from the whirlwind's centre,
Received, embraced my naked intuition.
The town of Nilburg too I shrank to enter

(If memory serves me right) and wept contrition
For indistinct all-but-committed crimes
In gelding-rooms and caves of parturition.

Yet undeniably I laughed at times
With those who shared my headless hullaballoo:
Fogeaters, Dwarfs, Green Quims and Paradigms.

Cellars of Nilburg! how I hated you,
Your Ixion wheels, hot frogs and icy toads,
Your existential climate where I grew

Into an adult Mandrake. (Memory loads
My plate with mushrooms.) But I woke at length
And left you, travelling light by mountain roads
To elsewhere; drank at desert wells; gained strength.


I don't know why I like that quite as much as I do. Perhaps the quirky rhyming rhythm, perhaps the freewheeling imagery or the playfully obsessive gallimaufry of punctuation, but more likely my childish word-glee, born of a love for Anglo-Saxon poetry that revels in such words as 'Fogeaters' and capers with the joy of 'hot frogs and icy toads.'
I do love to play with words and this poem set me up rather nicely for the day.

For the year, in fact as I am (according to my calendar and birth certificate) fifty-two today.
Oh, frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Or perhaps that should be: 'Oh, bugger! I've wasted another smegging year.'

Either way, I'm off for a swim in the River Lexicon with Fogeaters, hot frogs and icy toads.
Care to join me?

21 comments:

Scout said...

"Memory loads my plate with mushrooms." What the heck does that mean? It's wonderful, but...

Happy birthday, dear Dive. You have not wasted the year!

dive said...

I do love the phrase 'deep and meaningless,' Robyn. When applied to a lot of poems it simply states that the poet is pompous and suffers from imagery-flatulence, but when it is done with such a sense of fun as in this poem I cannot help but enjoy it.

Thank you for your birthday wishes, young lady. As long as folk still turn up here occasionally I suppose it has not all been a waste.

Vanda said...

Happy Burpday Dive! May you putrefy nicely.

A calcified educational system put me off poetry for life, but this is nice. I like that it can mean anything. And who could argue with "hot frogs and icy toads"? Thanks for giving me "gallimaufry". I'll press it and put it in my collection of wonderous words, next to lubricious, trumpery, and tarradiddle.

dive said...

Thank you, Vanda, I shall do my best to putrefy gracefully.

Like you, my education ruined poetry and so many more of the good things in life. One of the nicer things about growing old is discovering the joy in all of those things.

I thought you might appreciate the hot frogs and icy toads line. As for gallimaufry, I must confess Peahen introduced that one into my vocabulary, for which I am eternally grateful.

Petrea Burchard said...

Thanks for sharing some of your nuggets, Dive (gelding-rooms strikes me as unsavory, but it does have a rhythm).

Happy birthday! Here's my present for you:
savethewords.org

dive said...

Oh, what a wonderful present, Petrea! Thank you so much. I love the way the words beg to be chosen. I've signed up and can't wait to discover my first new word.

Scout said...

Petrea, that site is amazing! I have shared it on Facebook, and I adopted my first word—lambition.

My cat Mike enjoys licking plastic bags. His lambition is yet one more on a long list of neurotic tendancies.

dive said...

Hee hee, Robyn. Mike is utterly irresistible but completely insane.

dive said...

Petrea, I have adopted the word 'historiaster' (a poor or contemptible historian) as I feel a great affinity with it.
Thank you again for my marvellous present.

peahen said...

Thank you so much for this post, Dive, I really enjoyed this poem and I think you've set a precedent - I look forward to more of the same on more Saturdays.

You don't say whether you combine your poo and poem, but knowing the type of books that live in your bathroom and the cartoons on the wall I expect so.

Mike the cat?

I know another mike who's a bit irresistible and amusingly insane. Must be something about the name.

dive said...

Hey, Pea! Thank you again for my prezzie and card. As it's nearing bedtime and I am relaxing to Radio 3's Opera evening I shall join Drinky Crow in a libation. Cheers!

I'm afraid the poo and poem are often combined as I've given my Gorey a rest from bathroom duties and replaced him with a stack of old poetry books. This is actually the third (I think … my memory is another year older today) bathroom poetry post so I think I can safely predict a trend.

Mike is one of Robyn's cats; a black and white monster the size of a cow. He's almost as mad and hairy as our own adorable Mike.

Ms M said...

A happy, frabulous birthday to you, Dive! And I really love that poem; it sneakily entwines a person -- and doesn't let go.

Petrea's gift was perfect :) I will look at that site again when I have succisive time....

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't received my welcome email yet. I've already forgotten my adopted word.

Katherine said...

OMG it's your birthday!! And you didn't even post it on Facebook. How COULD you?

In celebration, remind me to tell you about the bizarre dream I had about you. You were at least nine feet tall. How odd.

In any event, this plain spoken Yank will now have to look up a gazillion words, thanks to your poetic post.

As a poet, I early on adopted Samuel Taylor Coleridge's philosophy: "Works of imagination should be written in very plain language; the more purely imaginative they are the more necessary it is to be plain."

Robert Frost was a mainstay of mine throughout my schooling, and his use of common vernacular did not deter me from studying or loving poetry.

Poetry is derived from the imagination even when sections of it reflect reality. Hence, I am capable of pooping out poetry. And my goal is to get more people to appreciate the utter simplicity and beauty of it.

I have no love for academic poetry.

Finally, Dive, I hope you create a word list with definitions here for those of us who do not have time to peruse the dictionary. Vocab is indeed fun, but it has its place. A good Sunday morning chuckle is one such place.

dive said...

Thank you, Ms.M. My birthday was nice and relaxing (and mercifully devoid of parties).

Petrea: Me neither, but the folk at Oxford may well sleep through the weekend.

Katherine, I AM nine feet tall, but somewhat like an iceberg the lowest three feet of me stays below the ground so most people don't notice.

I had no intention of letting my birthday get onto Facebook; THIS is where my friends are; I'm only on FB under duress from the office children (who, incidentally, were the ones to give it away over there, dammit).
I am so with you on the use of plain English. James K. Baxter is more than capable of doing that (and mostly he does; witness especially his 'Evidence At The Witch Trials'), but every once in a while it is fun (so long as it is done with tongue firmly embedded in cheek) to let slip the dogs of language and watch them frolic.

As for vocab for this post:
parturition means giving birth,
Fogeaters is a delightful invention,
Ixion was king of Thessaly in Greek mythology, who was punished by being bound to an eternally revolving wheel down in Hades.
Gallimaufry is a miscellaneous jumble or medley.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Dive.
I wonder what Green Quims are. ??
Since cats have been mentioned in the comments, did you know that scientists have figured out how cats get milk into their mouths while drinking? Isn't it wonderful that some people have that kind of time on their hands.

Perhaps the"words" that appear in the word verification should be given definitions. Mine was "ricaphe."

In my "reading room" I have a 1941 edition of Harbrace Handbook of English. One of the interesting sections is a three-page list of "hackneyed expressions." Judging from how familiar they are in 2010, I'd say they haven't been successful in convincing writers to think of fresh expressions.

dive said...

Thank you, Lupine Lady.
I would rather not find out what Green Quims might be, but I do love a good hackneyed expression, and indeed a nice old-fashioned scientist spending a lot of time figuring out the obvious.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my friend! You are not too old.....

you can fill in the blank!

XXOO

Shan said...

Oh Dive! I'm so glad you are back to your blog more frequently. That is a gift to us this 52nd mark!
I am so sorry I missed your birthday. I knew it was coming around when Mme B. had hers but I didn't check up on you in time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FAR AWAY FRIEND!!

I hope you have a delightful year filled with new revelation and intrigue!

I thought I didn't like poetry, but I realize I don't like normal frothy poetry that comes to mind with the word. THIS was actually quite enjoyable and fun to read. I was surprised that my brain was making sense of so much of it though I'm glad you explained some of the vocab. as that muddies the old mental synapsis considerably. ;) I'll have to check out that site too though-sounds interesting.

Blessings upon you in your fifty-third year!!! (Yes, I send blessings. Get over it. ;) xo

dive said...

Thank you, Prudence. I certainly feel old today but that is probably because I am stuck in a room with the idiot Office Children.

Thank you, too, Shan. Blessings are most welcome for this old lost soul.

MmeBenaut said...

Well, I happen to know you're only seven feet tall my dearest Dive. I can't believe that it has taken me so long to get back and read this post and discover that I missed your 53rd birthday. My goodness, just a youngster!! I had my 55th recently, about nine days before yours so I know that you'll never catch me :)

As far as poems go, I'm a philistine and found this one hard going. My vocab was challenged by a couple of expressions ... thanks for saving me from going to the dictionary to look up "gallimaufry".
I'm just a simple country girl but wish you many belated happy returns my dearest friend from across the pond. Love and hugs for your 54th year. A xxx