
As the weather has been too crappy for me to get out and about with my camera, I've looted my stock of British Museum photos for today's post.
Click on this to … er … enlarge it and you'll see the sort of thing that is on full display at a child's eye height.
Ah, those ancient Greeks and their funny ways.
All kids deserve an educational trip to the BM.
15 comments:
Did I get here first because I'm on the west coast of the U.S., or because no one else is willing to discuss this photo?
Dive, you're a scholar, what's the history behind this seriously weird illustration?
Petrea: I deliberately time these posts to catch Americans.
As for the history behind this: I think it's just that the ancient Greeks had fewer repressed hang-ups and a whole lot more fun than modern westerners.
You said BM.
Hahahahahahaha! Thank you, Robyn. I needed that.
Now that's what I call a party trick! I bet it's a real ice breaker.
Bachelor parties were a lot more fun back then, Vanda. Way better than a beer bong.
I just want to know what happens next!
That is a good party trick. What does he do for an encore? And what are they celebrating? Anything special, or just "the weekend"?
Neetzy: Come on over and take a peek round the other side of the vase.
Ms.M: I think they're celebrating being alive in ancient Greece and not in modern America.
Actually, I believe that's an ancient Greek mead bong.
Hahahahahahaha.
Greek straw?
Well I almost missed the focal point - hee, hee. Instead I was enamoured of the tails, springing from the small of the back instead of where one would think a tail springs from. I think there's something wrong with me.
Hee hee hee.
I'm no expert on the anatomy of satyrs, Mme, but it seems pretty strange to me, too.
Early Viagra customers found two uses for this odd product:
1. To prevent old men from rolling off the bed.
2. For party tricks, as demonstrated in this old world depiction of, "Balance the Chalice."
Cheers!
TR
Post a Comment