Monday, October 18, 2010

WTF Monday - Own Brand Bacteria Special


Hokay, so I'm partial to the occasional tub of Sainsbury's organic yog with my breakfast, but what I had not realised until I read the tub was that Sainsbury's now claim to have their own brand bacteria!
Next time I'm in the store I'm going to ask for some.
How does one buy bacteria, I wonder? By the pound? By the pint? By the yard?
And if I used a tub of their yoghurt to start culturing my own (something I used to do in my green and veggie years) would their lawyers hound me for royalties on their bacteria?
The world gets stranger by the day.

11 comments:

Alifan said...

Scary! dare not always read the labels... have a good day.

peahen said...

Well Sainsbury's bacteria seem pretty hopeless to me - they don't maintain your natural balance. They don't even help to do that, they just 'may help'. Imagine what I could claim for my products with those two weasley words...

dive said...

Mum: always read the labels. Then nine times out of ten put the damned thing back on the shelf and walk away.

Pea: How right you are. Probiotic is pseudoscience crap, but I buy these because they're often the only organic yog in town.

Ms M said...

This is strange. I would want to know how Sainbury's bacteria differs from the bacteria other yogurt makers use.....

dive said...

Me too, Ms.M. … and I'm curious as to how they can possibly enforce their brand. Do they mark each tiny bacterium with their logo?
Weird.

neetzy said...

My bacteria is better than your bacteria. Hah!

dive said...

Hee hee hee.

Vanda said...

You need to breed your own bacteria. First you capture some wild bacteria and tame it. Next you selectively breed it till it's just what you want. I can mail you some hardy North American breeds if you want. There are several wild strains living in my kitchen.

dive said...

Vanda, I tried taming some of my own bacteria but even when I'd lassoed them and got on top the dang things kept bucking me off. Ornery little critturs.

MmeBenaut said...

Oh you are just too funny my dearest Dive.

dive said...

No, I'm just too full of own-brand bacteria.