Especially during harvest time, when the roads are filled with these blighters travelling at 5 mph for miles between farms.Oncoming traffic has to get up on the verge and wait for the behemoths to pass and those of us stuck behind them get to work late.
Hey ho.
17 comments:
Pea harvest, and combine to come dear boy!Take care...better to be late than...............
Ah the joys of living in the country.
But still better than the comute.
Yes, much better than the old commute, though I was stuck behind another bloody harvester this morning.
I think the farmers get up and say: "Shall we move the combines early before the traffic builds up?"
and then say, "Nah; let's have a big old breakfast and wait until rush hour starts so we can create utter bloody chaos."
Hey ho.
Aw, how quaint. We have the same kind of road hogs here, and they don't mind taking their sweet time.
I miss your photo journals through London, Dive. Take the train in on a Saturday, and give us another travelogue.
Robyn: Take the train to London on a Saturday? Hahahahahahahaha! They are so utterly useless that they don't run on weekends; instead we get a crappy 'bus replacement service' that takes half a day to get there.
Plus I am still determined NEVER to take another stupid train to London. I've done that enough for many lifetimes.
Hey, that's almost as wide as a humvee, but I bet nowhere as long as a stretch-limo.
I can't wait to see your post after you get waylaid by sheep.
Vanda: yes, I suppose that would be the equivalent of a fairly modest car over in the States.
I have been waylaid by sheep (and cattle) many times in my agricultural past. I'm rather hoping that once the harvest is over I'll get waylaid by lots of yummy wild fruit bushes.
So they're harvesting wheat?
Around here, there's a wholesale nursery for shrubbery and other landscaping plants and occasionally they hitch up their mules to a cart filled with their cultivators and mosey down the road to a far-off field to work on getting the weeds loosened up in the rows of bushes. Four mules on the front and 2 mules tied to the back. They go about 3 mph. I'm sure it's frustrating for motorists here who like to go about 45 mph on this road (speed limit is really 35), but the times I've been behind them, I like to creep along at 3 so I can watch them. They're so wonderful. They obey commands in Portuguese.
Ah, yes, farm country. I recall driving behind many variations of farm equipment when I lived in the rural midwest. The roads, although paved, were narrow and curvy. Better have some good music on for the drive....
Lupine Lady: Yes, they're harvesting wheat. Last week the countryside was filled with waving fields of golden corn (that's corn as in wheat and barley, not corn as in maize; I never could figure out how some early settler got those things confused; maize is maize; it ain't corn) and now the harvesters are reducing it to stubble. Hey ho.
Your mobile roadblocks sound delightful. It's good to know they obey Portuguese commands; I'll try my Portuguese on the next combine harvester I get stuck behind. If that fails I have a wealth of Portuguese profanity I can deploy.
Ms.M: I am old enough and -hopefully- wise enough to drive armed with Radio 3 and my iPod. Yesterday, while stuck behind yet another harvester, I enjoyed John Adams' "The Dharma At Big Sur" with Tracy Silverman on violin. It made crawling along at 5mph such a pleasant activity.
Dive, if you like John Adams music, you should go see (or rent) I Am Love with Hilda Swinton. The music is mostly by John Adams. I was lucky enough to attend a live performance of Harmonielehre. Plus, the movie is fantastic. The "word" below is moley, as in holey moley, what a movie.
Lupine Lady: I have been a fan of John Adams since the first bars of Nixon In China. I am also a fan of the glorious Tilda Swinton and I Am In Love is one of far too may items in my Amazon Wish List. I'll move it closer to the top on your recommendation.
Yay for 'moley.'
Dive, a small correction: it's "I Am Love" (no In). and you should move it to the top; skip all the others; cut to the chase. I saw it twice and would go again if it were still here.
Here is the link to a wonderful interview with Swinton on Charlie Rose.
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/11080
There are a lot of other Swinton interviews online. She said in one that they wouldn't have made the movie if Adams hadn't agreed to their using his music. The music was already in the film when they sought his permission to use it!
Lupine Lady: I just pre-ordered it from Amazon (it's out in September here).
Good. Oh, so long to wait. It's worth it.
Good things come to those who wait, Lupine Lady.
Thanks for the word 'behemoth' which I love and is used on the first page of my still-favourite book.
Pea: Now I'm going to have to put my brain through the wringer (or spend ages searching my bookshelves) to try to remember what that book might be.
Post a Comment