Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making Katie's Masthead

Hey, kids! It's more Photoshop fun!


This time we're making a new masthead for Katie's blog.

She sent me this wonderful old California postcard and wanted me to change it to 'Katiefornia' and put some of her own images inside the letters.

Fun!


Hokay. First up, let's make ourselves a bit of space here.

Open up this doohickey (Canvas Size, from the Image menu).

What we want to do is shift the postcard over to the right to allow for the extra letters.


Simply click on the square with the arrow pointing to it and then type in a figure in the width box. I made it a little wider than I'd need to give me some messing around space.


Click 'Okay' and this is what you see. Lebensraum off to the left.

Next up. I selected the left hand part of the card (the C, A, L and I) and made a copy on a new layer.


After that I carefully cut around the 'O' with the lasso tool and copied that on to another new layer. You can see the layers in the floating palette in the upper right here.


I simply used the paintbrush with black and white cloned from the card to 'paint' the 'O' until it looked like an 'E'. Then I moved the 'CALI' part across to the left to make room for the new letter.


After that, a bit more dicking around with the Clone tool and we have the basic Katiefornia template. I had to warp the layers a little to get them to mesh together but it kinda worked okay.


Next up, Katie gave me a list of the images from her blog that she wanted to see inside the letters. I looked at them and tried to match the image to the shape of the letter.

This one was just right for the 'A' at the right hand end.


So … Cut around the 'A' using the lasso tool, then select the image of the waterskiers and …


… Use the 'Paste Into' tool which conveniently puts the picture of the skiers behind the postcard so it peeps through the hole you cut.


Like this.

Of course it's never the right size, so simply drag it down until it fits.


Yay, skiers!


All we've got to do now is repeat the process with the other letters, cutting around them and using 'Paste Into' to insert Katie's assorted postcards inside.


This was the first draft …

Of course, Katie - being the client - had to make a couple of changes.


She was right to do so of course and the final image looks a lot more balanced for it.


So there you have it. Now go away and play and make your own spiffy blog mastheads!

18 comments:

Katie said...

Duuuude -- you rock! (Sorry, I'm from California.) You make it sound so easy, but I know it takes technical skill as well as a creative mind to pull this off. Plus dealing with a fussy client can't be easy! Hee hee. Thanks again for doing this banner for me.

dive said...

Yo, Dudette!
This one really was simple; just copy and paste and some fun with everybody's favourite, the good old "CLONE" tool.
If only my clients at work were as easy to deal with as you. Sheesh!

Cynthia said...

That is freaking incredible! What talent. Love the tutorial; you make it look so simple! A fabulous result!

dive said...

Hee hee, Thank you, Cynthia. It was fun and surprisingly easy to do.

Shan said...

GOOD GRIEF DIVE! I was just over at KT's because I forgot to mention how totally wicked awesome that header is. I just ADORE it with capital ADORE! :D

The images Katie had for it as well as the extra arranging make it all the more perfect.

You have both inspired me to get Jamey to finish making my new blog template. Darn if he isn't out making music right now or I'd sic him to it! heh

Once in college Jamey made a tee shirt design that way with the images inside the letters of "Blue Party". It was definitely one of my favorite Blue Party tees from over the years. You two do have a couple things in common in the music/art skills department for sure. :)

Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Mine is strange but fun. Last night I took Salsa lessons and tonight I have to dress like a zombie or someone in a Jane Austin movie (for yet another birthday party). Which will it be? hmmm I do pale well either way. ;)

Bye!

dive said...

Hey, Shan!
You are too kind. Thank you.
If Jamey's anything like me he'll go out and play his music and keep putting off the Photoshop stuff until you poke him with a cattle prod.
Yay for a Zombie Jane Austen party! Are you sure you've not woken up in San Francisco?

Shan said...

ASIDE:
Oops. It's a little tale tell that I put Jane Austin "movie" I guess I'm mentally saturated with images of Colin Firth when I think of JA. keehee

And Dive, a cattle prod is what it takes to get J in the kitchen to finish the remaining drawers in our update!! It's coming soon...ZAP ZAP!

Ok, I'm done blithering now, I swear.

dive said...

Hee hee, Shan!
All men require judicious application of the cattle prod if certain household tasks are to be finished.
Some of us kind of enjoy it … er.

Ms M said...

I love the header you made for Katie -- and fun to see "the pro at work" with your "how-to" post.
Kudos!

dive said...

Thank you, Ms.M. Photoshop is great fun. Every home should have a copy (and the time to play with it).

Anonymous said...

Dive, this was a very interesting description--thanks. I know it's not so easy as you make it seem.

Amy said...

I love seeing the step by step that went into this beautiful banner. You make it look so easy! The clone tool and I? We don't get along half as well.

Lovely work!

Scout said...

Yay for photoshop!!! And what a masterful job you did of this task. It's not an easy one.

MmeBenaut said...

My oh my, Dude and Dudette, what an inspired, skilled and attractive piece it is. As Katie said: "you rock"! or something similar in our age-appropriate language.
Brilliant!

Thib said...

Seems too easy when reading your post ;-)
But I'm sure it's not that simple.

And the result is great. Welldone, Dive!

dive said...

Lupine Lady: Thank you. This one, however, really was nice and easy.

Amy: You really should patch things up with the Clone Tool. It can be tremendous fun. Perhaps you should get it drunk and take advantage of it.

Robyn: Yay, indeed! A compliment from the Queen of Photoshop is always welcome. Thank you.

Mme: Hee hee. Ah, tristesse … that we now need 'age appropriate' language is a bittersweet thing.

Thib: Cheers! And yes, it actually was that simple (this time, anyway).

Vanda said...

Superawesomeness.

dive said...

Hee hee, Vanda. I think I'll have that as a tattoo … or maybe not.