Saturday, April 18, 2009

Ah … Er … I Can Explain …

This one's for Shan, so she can point and snicker at me.
I was flicking through my Daily Comics widget yesterday and spat coffee into my keyboard when this came up.

Hee hee! That's me booking my place in the hot basement. Hey ho.

No post as such today; I'm heading into the city for breakfast and some retail therapy.

Yesterday's Japanese phrase for you to learn was:
"酔っぱらっただけならまでしも、彼はとんでもないばかをやらかしたんだ。"

"Yopparatta dakenara madeshimo, Karewa tondemo nai baka wo yarakashitanda."

We've all been there; it means:
"Not only did he get drunk, he also made a complete fool of himself."
The operative word there being "ばか" (baka) or stupid; an essential part of any visit to Japan, the phrase "baka gaijin" (stupid foreigner) will follow you around like a bad perfume.

Our final visit of the week to the wonderful Pizzicato Five and the incomparably stylish Nomiya Maki features one of the most fabulous dresses I've ever seen.
Totally awesome!
All girls should dress like this. Mmmmmmmmm …

And let's all do the hand-wavy thing in the chorus! Yay!

Enjoy your weekends!

18 comments:

Vic said...

Damn, you made me jealous. I've never managed a full-blown coffee spit. Just the occasional dribble out the sides. All that does is make me look like a drummer.


[...sorry Full]

Joy said...

St Peter doesn't have a sense of humour?

Don't worry - I'll sneak you in :D

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

he he I get the message of the cartoon but..what's a shoo-in?

dive said...

Vic: You really don't want to have to clean up after one of those (a coffee-spit, as well as a drummer). Thank goodness for the sexy Mac flat keyboards; mine just wipes clean now, even when I spill a whole glass of red wine into it … something that happens all too often.

Joy: I know you'll be there, but I really don;t want to be. Maybe I'll just pop up to say hello from time to time.
Great to see you in the Forum this morning. I hope the Festival's a success; it seemed to be getting busy early on.

Lynn: I think you'll have to ask our Colonial cousins for that one.

Katherine said...

LMFAO!!

Oh Dive, my dear. I simply MUST steal this.

dive said...

Be my guest, Katherine.

savannah said...

very good, sugar! ;) xoxoxox

@lynn:
shoo-in (shn)
n. Informal
1. A sure winner.
2. One that has a sure chance of being chosen, as for a job or other position.

dive said...

Thank you for clearing that one up for us, Savannah.
xoxoxox

Maria said...

I covet her earrings. I want to wear them and have them bounce around....so cool.

dive said...

Aren't they just groovy?

Anonymous said...

Love the comic. If God's on the Internet, we're all damned.

dive said...

At least it will be warm and we'll be in good company!

Shan said...

OH NOOOOO! They are sure to find the SGP!!! Ba-HA! Thanks for the dedication Dive. I'm REALLY hoping the "Once saved always saved" rule applies to you(if you did in fact accept the Lord as your Savior at one point) and you haven't ticked Him off for good in one of your Godbothered rants.

Just to be clear, I will do no pointing or snickering on such life and death matters. (Did I just hear groaning from the crowd?) I only laugh at you because you are, and this is, quite clever and amusing. Baha

I still keep my healthy fear of the Big Guy fully in place and though he's seen my Shansinister side many times, I know I am FORGIVEN. And that's my condensed Easter recap, since I wasn't around for the big discussion. :D

Cute video. Very cute dress.

dive said...

Hee hee, Shan!
Thank you for the get-out clause; I did indeed have such faith for a lot of my life, though I am quite reconciled now with the fact that I shall be sent to the warm place.
And thank you for snickering with me rather than at me; you are too generous.
And even more thanks (sheesh!) for not dogpiling me over my Good Friday post.

Isn't that dress just the coolest?
Not the sort of thing you could wear to church but I think Jamey might approve if you wore it around the house.

Shan said...

Always so hard on himself. I wonder why...[She ponders silently]

Dive you deserve Heaven no more or less than I do. But, perhaps you ought to think of how that boiling potato water felt on your foot, do some quick multiplication and then reconsider the "warmth" you speak of. Hmmmm....it only takes a mustard seeds worth. :)

I hope that didn't make me a shoo-in for the dog pile. hee

dive said...

Good point!
It's going to hurt a bit, but at least I'll have the satisfaction of seeing all the politicians and bankers get theirs, too.

Katherine said...

Dive will most certainly make it to whatever Heaven might be, simply because he takes so much time to amuse us and make us think.

The world would be quite a darker place without Dear Old Dive!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Thanks Savannah!