Yeah, okay, so maybe the title gave it away …This post is respectfully dedicated to Katherine, who at the moment is unable to eat certain things including cake (AUGH!), pork and pasta.
I'm crap at cakes (legacy of having a mum who bakes constantly and incomparably; I've never had to learn), so here, especially for Katherine is Dive's own "Pig Fat Pasta".
As you all know by now, I am a lazy-assed cook. When I get home just before bedtime after my crap commute I often turn to a bag of dried organic pasta as a time-saver, but back in the days when I had a life I used to make my own pasta all the time.
So as part of my ongoing quest to get my life back I've decided to do what good Italian mamas do and make a monthly batch of my own, eat some and freeze the rest.
The advantage of home-made over bought stuff is that bought, dried pasta - even the good organic stuff - is made with water and not eggs.
Ironically, this makes even better "al dente" pasta than home-made for certain dishes, but it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice.
Some of you may make your own pasta and you'll know that once or twice a month is quite enough for all that mess and effort, but that it is definitely worth doing as a treat.
In the good old days I used to roll all mine by hand, but since I bought Phil a pasta roller a few years back, which he actually uses, I decided to invest in one for myself.
Hoorah for the recession and half-price cookware sales!
Anyhoo, get your pinnies on and let's head for the kitchen and make a mess.
First up: Ingredients.All organic, as ever, and as local as possible.
Onion, garlic, eggies, 00 pasta flour, lardons, Prosciutto, Gran Padano and Parmesan cheeses and some Kalamata olives on the side.
What we're making with that lot will be home-made Prosciutto di Parma e Gran Padano Tortellini (that's ham and cheese but it sounds so much sexier in Italian) simply cooked with garlic, onion and organic smoked bacon fatty lardons.
Pig Fat Pasta.
Later on, I might get into classic sauces, green spinach pasta, black squid ink pasta, red tomato and brown wholemeal pasta and lots of other related things that make for a delicious meal and a cheap photopost.
Today, however, we're doing basic pasta making so we'll dispense with any sauces and keep things plain dumb simple, just the way I like 'em.
For anyone who may not have made pasta at home before, this is one of the most fun ways you can possibly spend an hour or so of your weekend (and a lot of that hour is spent just sitting about). It's a truly awesome thing to do if you have someone over for coffee and a chat; two people can have even more fun than one making pasta.
Lotsa mess; lotsa laughs.
So …As we're making tortellini, we're going to need something to stuff them with.
Today's theme is pig fat, so let's choose one of the finest culinary pinnacles pig fat can attain and grab some Prosciutto di Parma.
We're talking at least two year old matured and of course we're talking organic.
You want flavour? This is a wafer-thin, concentrated taste-orgasm.
Chop it up nice and finely.
Add to that a finely grated wodge of Gran Padano cheese (we're saving the Parmesan to serve it with).Mix well (added bonus points of licking your fingers clean. Cookie dough got NOTHING on this)!
Done that?Right … Eggies!
Organic, local, yadda, yadda …
I don't usually specify amounts (other than the glop, the sploosh, the roughly-a-handful and the about yay much) but it kinda makes sense here, so for my pasta session today I'll be using 300grams (that's around ten and a half ounces in real money) of organic "00" pasta flour ("farina di grano tenero" if you wanna be pretentious and I usually do) and I'll add to that two whole eggs and one extra yolk (for yumminess).
The white from the third egg can go in with the filling to make it easier to work.Oh, and don't waste those shells! Crunch 'em all up and put 'em on the garden around hostas and cabbages; like coffee grounds, slugs can't bear eggshells.
Hokay … Sieve your flour onto a board or clean worktop. You want to make it into a cute little mountain and then bash the top in to form a volcano. Yay! Back to kiddie cooking!
Into the caldera of your volcano go the two and a half eggies. If you do it right, they stay in focus but if your hands are covered in flour your camera might sulk a bit like mine did.
You can use your fingers from the start if you like but I prefer to break up the yolks with a fork and start it off that way, gradually incorporating more of the flour into the eggs.
Which is very relaxing, if slightly gross to look at.
When you can't contain your childish excitement any longer, get your fingers in there and start having some serious gloopy fun.
After a while, you'll end up with a sticky, floury ball and a load of leftover flour (important).Now comes the fun part.
This is what pasta making is all about. This is why Italian mamas don't have to spend time down the gym to get forearms like Popeye's.
Get kneading!
YAY!
My stupid, cheapo digital camera decided that "Way Overexposed" was the correct setting for these and who am I to argue with a piece of plastic crap?Keep on kneading until your forearms inflate, remembering to keep changing hands at ninety-nine.
After a while, your dough will start to feel more elastic and silky and less lumpy and floury.
Time to really put the hammer down and take out all those anger management issues.
When you can poke your finger into the dough and it springs straight back out, your pasta and yourself are both ready for a rest.
Some people wrap their doughy lump in clingfilm and pop it in the fridge for half an hour.I prefer to cover it with a damp teatowel and leave it where I can see it.
Time to chill out with a coffee and the paper.
I gave my lump around forty minutes and then got that leftover flour and sieved some onto the worktop (having cleaned off all the doughy crap first).
In the good old days when I had a big enough kitchen and a really long rolling pin I would roll all my pasta by hand, but now the longest piece of worktop I have is only around four feet so it's machine time.A lot of people have an "unwanted gift" pasta roller or a "we thought it looked nice but we never use it" pasta roller tucked away somewhere and now we're going to get that out and play with it.
Anyone here have "Play-Doh"™ when you were kids?
This is just the same, except you can eat it this time around.
So …Let's rip that dough ball into two and give the first lump a quick roll, leaving the rest under the damp cloth for later.
Clamp your pasta roller to your worktop and open it to its widest setting, then simply crank the dough through it.Simplissimo.
Close it down a notch and squeeze it some more.You really want to then put it back on the wide setting, fold the pasta in half and then repeat the process several times on the two widest settings.
This conditions the pasta nicely and helps it keep its shape rather than just springing back. If you've ever rolled it by hand you know just how frustrating it can be when you've at last got it to condom thin-ness and you breathe a huge sigh of satisfaction, only for it to spring back to four times as thick as you want it.
Once you've run the dough through the widest settings a few times, folding it and re-pressing it, you can work your way down through the settings, squeezing your pasta thinner and thinner each time.
You might notice it getting a bit long.
Or even a lot long … In fact by the time this little doughball is done it will be a little over eight feet long.For things like spaghetti and lasagne you'll want the second from thinnest setting, but for stuffed pasta like tortellini, you want it so thin you can read your paper through it, so you go right down to the thinnest setting.
If you want to make wide sheet pasta, when it's reached the thinnest setting, simply fold it neatly and start again with the thickest and you should get nice, square-edged lasagne sheets.
Today, though, we want an eight foot long, three inch wide strip for the three inch circular pastry cutter to play with.
Kinda like this. I added some fresh parsley from the windowcill to the Prosciutto and Gran Padano and eggwhite mixture and then plonked a glob onto each little pasta circle.
Next, slightly moisten the edge closest to you and fold the little circle in half, pressing lightly to seal the edges.
Simply wrap the thing around your finger …
And lo … a tortellini (or whatever the singular of tortellini might be … a tortellino, perhaps).Whichever of you at the back of the room who said it looks like a vagina is going to get a slap after class.
Set those little guys out to dry. Turn them over after ten minutes or so to let them dry out evenly.If you're going to be cooking them later in the day, pop 'em in the fridge. If you don't they tend to come apart when you put them on to boil and you end up with a wet soup of your filling and some floating pasta circles.
While they were drying I made some more. Four times this amount in the end, plus a load of tagliatelle, all for the freezer for treats later in the month.
Now let's get cooking!
Heat up a non-stick pan or wok and whop in a handful of nice fatty lardons.No oil; we're cooking our Pig Fat Pasta in pig fat.
F L A V O U R !
Lean meat is just an exercise in chewing; all the flavour is in the fat, which is why nicely marbled beef is pricier than lean.
People forget that simple fact. Eat fatty meat for flavour but eat less of it than you would eat lean. You'll be just as healthy and a whole lot happier.
Oh, and of course, this has got to be organic. If you use factory "chemo-pork substitute" and whap it in the pan like this you'll end up with an unpleasant watery soup as that stuff has at least twenty percent water added by weight after all the chemicals.
Cheap "meat" is a false economy.
"Like a Sunday in T.J.
It's cheap but it's not free …"
as Steely Dan so nicely put it.
It's certainly not something I want to put in my mouth!
Anyhoo … While that's sizzling nicely, plop your pasta into some boiling water (not salted, unless you like everything to taste of salt, which I don't … add it at the table if you really can't survive without it).
Get a good sizzle going with your lardons and then toss in an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic, turn down the heat and let the onion sweat clear.
When the pasta is done (four minutes), drain it and add what have become entertainingly mutated tortellini mis-shapes to the pan and stir them around until they're liberally coated in pig fat (don't let the term gross you out; if you eat bacon, you'll LOVE this).
Then simply add shaved Parmesan and olives, plate it up and eat it up.Yummy!
Rich, eggy home-made pasta, perfectly al dente.
With pig fat.
Old Dive's Pig Fat Pasta.
Enjoy!



22 comments:
I admire you like an admiring person should, but....
I couldn't be bothered. Waitrose do such yummy fresh pasta I wouldn't do all this, but wow do you put in effort!
Nice hairy arms by the way. Men should have hairy arms. lol.
Thank you, Lynn.
You really should try it once in a while … home-made pasta, I mean, not hairy arms.
That does look good. I made ravioli once and know all too well about the stretched-out pasta snapping back to a thick mass while you're not looking.
Hi, Lupine Lady!
Thank you. It was indeed tasty.
Oh, gosh. Isn't it so frustrating when you get the pasta as thin as you can and it just shrinks right back and you have to start again … and again.
I was really impressed with the machine, thanks to the bit where you condition the pasta on the wide settings so when it does get thin it stays thin.
I can't wait to make my next batch, but I have half a dozed servings of tagliatelli and lots more tortellini to eat from today's session first.
So much cheaper than buying it and so much more fun.
Wow I am impressed..hope you washed your hands each time!!!!you took a photo.....
Should really take photo's of my table with all the sugar flowers all over it in many stages!
Well I am so utterly flattered my dear Dive! To think, I have an original Cooking with Dive entry named after my inability to eat anything related to pork, pasta or cake. I consider this a kind of eulogy to my deceased (and decreased) stomach.
It looks wonderful, of course! I've never made homemade pasta. I bet the kids would have a blast.
I doubt it somehow.
Those little parcels - they look a bit like... OUCH!
I admit to being stuck on what the hell "lardons" were. I finally figured it out by peering at the photo..
This looks delicious and I know in my heart that if I tried to prepare something like this, it would all go terribly wrong and I would be bitching crabby about it.
I still think that you should write a cook book. But, I would truly love to see a recipe with...beef.
Ooh, we have the same little pasta machine. Hubby bought it at the Italian market in Philly. Never made anything as ambitious as those tortellini. I have Italian cousins. I remember visiting when cousin Steve's grand Mama was making ravioli.
(BTW your tortellini look suspiciously, deliciously like Chinese dumplings).
Two questions: what is oo pasta flour. How is it different from, say, bread flour? And the leftover pasta dough after you cut out the circles: can you run that through the machine again, or do you just toss it?
I'll have to keep an eye out in the thrift shop for a pasta machine.
This looks simply amazing! I'm with Lynn though, I don't think I could be bothered to make my own pasta. Plus I have only 17" of free countertop in my teeny weeny kitchen, so the pasta would end up in the sink, then across in the dish drainer. Having eaten yummy lardons in France, I can imagine just how heavenly this must have tasted. I actually used to have one of those Italian pasta machines, but I have no idea what I did with it. I never used it, but it was sure pretty!
Nicely done. No kitchen in complete without a pasta maker. I use mine alot in the winter when I make chicken and noodles or pasta marinara with sweet Italian sausage. There is much satisfaction gained by rolling out your own pasta. Great recipe Dive. You are welcome in my kitchen anytime. You and I would cook up a storm. The conversation would be brisk and several bottles of wine would be opened and consumed. Then we could take a road trip and visit the Bob Dylan house and museum in Hibbing, MN. Sound good?
Very impressive, but not something I could do. This might come as a bit of a shock, but I am rather impatient! I must say there is something about a man who can make his own pasta and eat it too. ;)
Yes, mum; I washed my hands all the time.
Sheesh! Mothers!
And yes, you really should take some great macro shots of your flowers in progress.
Hi, Katherine!
Glad you liked it.
The kids would have a whale of a time making pasta. It's a wonderful thing for them to do together. Next time they're bored, yank 'em into the kitchen and let 'em get messy. It really is tremendous fun.
And they can eat the result! Yay!
Lynn: Don't they just?
Maria: Lardons are a French thing. You get a really thick piece of fatty, smoked bacon (Italians use pancetta - cured pork belly - which is heavenly), at least finger-thick, and you dice it into cubes. It has a myriad of uses, every one of them utterly delicious and the fat content would give Bing the screaming heebie-jeebies, but what the heck; delicious is delicious!
I'll see what I can do about getting hold of a bullock for you and eating bits of it.
Neetzy: Yes, they did look very much like wontons when they were cooked. Hee hee. I put a little too much filling into them so they wound up misshapen.
Wow! You went to Italy and had a real Italian Mama cooking for you? Awesome!
And tortellini are far from ambitious; just fold them in half, roll them around your finger and they're done.
Lupine Lady: Double-"O" (like James Bond) flour (dopio zero in Italian delis) is made from durum wheat, like semolina.
It is possible to use plain flour for pasta making (in fact if you're rolling it by hand a mixture of sixty-percent durum wheat and forty-percent unbleached plain flour stops it springing back so much) but the authentic texture is not there.
Durum wheat holds its shape better than normal flour in cooking and also has a rough surface which absorbs and holds on to sauces.
Any bakers or good store should stock it.
As for the offcuts: yup; squish 'em together and run them through the machine a few times. I used all my offcuts from yesterday to make half a dozen bags of tagliatelle(around six feet long … sheesh) for the freezer.
I was very impressed with the machine. It is definitely better than rolling it by hand and very easy to clean; I just whisked a brush over it to get rid of the flour and then wiped it down with a dry cloth.
Katie: It really is tremendous fun! If you ever get a spare hour on a weekend give it a go. You can make short lengths if you have no room.
Lardons are indeed yummy! Mmmmmmmmmmm … I'm jealous of you having eaten them in France.
Mark: That sounds a wonderful idea! Yet another reason for visiting Minnesota. I had a feeling you would be a home pasta maker; your cooking stories are so mouthwatering and awesome. I still insist that you should start a cooking blog. It would make me drool into my keyboard.
Cali: Most of my dishes can be made in a few minutes (I only have a few minutes between getting home from my commute and going to bed), so impatience wouldn't be an issue. If you can get together with a slightly more patient friend and spend an hilarious hour actually making the pasta, then cooking it takes all of four minutes.
Eating it is good, too!
And yes, I confess to enjoying cooking all this stuff because at heart I am a peeeg!
This all look absolutely wonderful! I've got a pasta press, but it's crap, so I think it's time to replace it with something usable.
This sort of thing sounds like it would be good with browned butter drizzled over it instead of olive oil. What do you think?
I rather think there's enough fat and oil on that plate as it is without adding more, Robyn!
Hee hee.
And yes, go buy a good Italian pasta roller and have some messy fun in the kitchen.
That should be able to land you a woman,dive. You know men that can cook are well sought after these days.
Ah, Rich; men who cook with pig fat are likely to attract the wrong sort of woman.
Sigh …
Dive,
I didn't go to Italy. Italian Mama Sargese was born in Italy. When I saw her she lived in New Jersey.
Ah, but she's still the real thing, Neetzy.
Lucky you!
What an incredible work of art, Dive. Now this is something I could read from top to bottom and enjoy all of the photos too. I can imagine how delicious this must have been. You are an amazingly good cook and then to put this all together on what must have been a nice full tummy is even more amazing!
Mme: I am so glad you enjoyed it. Hugely unhealthy but totally delicous. Hee hee.
Post a Comment