How many football pitches, Olympic-sized swimming pools, double-decker buses, Eiffel Towers and elephants are there in an area the size of Wales? Looks like NASA has come up with a new standard unit of measurement.
Seriously? Aardvarks? Sweet Mary Sunshine, but that gives me absolutely NO idea of the size which means now I have to look up Aardvarks! Give me strength against funny NASA asteroid trackers! xoxo
Per wikipedia (because I'm lazy): "An aardvark's weight is typically between 60 and 80 kilograms (130–180 lb).[16] An aardvark's length is usually between 105 and 130 centimetres (3.44–4.27 ft),[5] and can reach lengths of 2.2 metres (7 ft 3 in) when its tail (which can be up to 70 centimetres (28 in)) is taken into account. It is 60 centimetres (24 in) tall at the shoulder, and has a girth of about 100 centimetres (3.3 ft)."
Savannah, I think NASA is messin' with us, forcing us to look up stuff in order to expand our knowledge. In that spirit, I spent the past 15 minutes multiplying all the measurements you found by 45 to see what an asteroid that size might look like. But I asked myself, was NASA referring to weight or volume? Our aardroid could be virtually hollow for all we know.
So ... Ms. Aardoid may be 4,725 - 5,850cm (154.8 to 192.15 feet) in length and reach as much as 99 meters (326.25 ft). That's about 1/2 stroke short of completing a 100m freestyle heat!
Her weight should be 2,700 kg to 3600 kg (5850 to 8100 pounds). Her height would be 90 feet with a circumference of 4,500 cm (148.5 ft).
Would it be fair to say that something almost the length of 2 Olympic pools and nearly as wide as one is sailing by Earth? Given that an Olympic-size pool holds 660,000 gals of water, and the weight of 1 gallon is 8.34 lbs., that would make Ms. Aardroid 5,504,400 lbs (2,752.2 tons)
Yeh, Savannah! But I think the best part is that I managed to convert "45 aardvarks" into a comparison you and I could visualize - and that was entirely by accident!
Aardvarks are also known as Aardpigs; they're the size of a pig (a medium-sized pig in case you're curious), but with a kangaroo's tail, a long snout for snaffling ants and the ears of a giant hare. Weirdly beautiful creatures.
But dive, how are the pigs ordered - snout to curly tail or ribs to ribs? Are they cute little piglets or big-ass hogs (as in "The Biggest Hog in the World, who'll appear in all his porcine glory at the upcoming Indiana State Fair)? I could shelter 45 piglets in my bedroom and they'd have some room to move around. The BHINTW, though ... Whew, mebbe 8-10, but only if they laid around, which they do most of the time 'cause they're too heavy for their trotters. These titles are relative, though, because every fair has their own "biggest boar". https://www.thegazette.com/article/indiana-hog-wins-big-boar-crown-at-iowa-state-fair/
I wondered, "How fast is an aardvark?" Well, one aardvark, when pressed, can reach up to 25 mph. But a herd of 45 aardvarks rushing through space on Wednesday, would have zoomed past Earth at 2000mph!
Hi, Pea. I like the weather guy in the States who has been naming mega-heatwaves after big oil. So far we've had Aramco, BP and Chevron.
Speedway, the only aardvarks I've seen in the flesh kinda stood there and snuffled round for a bit, then took a couple of steps and snuffled round some more. 45 aardvarks travelling at 2,000mph could do some serious damage so I'm glad they missed the Earth on Wednesday.
We need more Guy Waltons in the world, Savannah. xoxo
That's a wonderful website, Speedway; it reminded me of the old megadeath circular calculators that we had in the 1960s (as seen in Doctor Strangelove).
Petrea, it may be one of your neighbours who is the standard unit of measurement wit at the JPL. Whoever it is has my vote.
17 comments:
Seriously? Aardvarks? Sweet Mary Sunshine, but that gives me absolutely NO idea of the size which means now I have to look up Aardvarks! Give me strength against funny NASA asteroid trackers! xoxo
Per wikipedia (because I'm lazy): "An aardvark's weight is typically between 60 and 80 kilograms (130–180 lb).[16] An aardvark's length is usually between 105 and 130 centimetres (3.44–4.27 ft),[5] and can reach lengths of 2.2 metres (7 ft 3 in) when its tail (which can be up to 70 centimetres (28 in)) is taken into account. It is 60 centimetres (24 in) tall at the shoulder, and has a girth of about 100 centimetres (3.3 ft)."
Now we know.
Savannah, I think NASA is messin' with us, forcing us to look up stuff in order to expand our knowledge. In that spirit, I spent the past 15 minutes multiplying all the measurements you found by 45 to see what an asteroid that size might look like. But I asked myself, was NASA referring to weight or volume? Our aardroid could be virtually hollow for all we know.
So ... Ms. Aardoid may be 4,725 - 5,850cm (154.8 to 192.15 feet) in length and reach as much as 99 meters (326.25 ft). That's about 1/2 stroke short of completing a 100m freestyle heat!
Her weight should be 2,700 kg to 3600 kg (5850 to 8100 pounds). Her height would be 90 feet with a circumference of 4,500 cm (148.5 ft).
Would it be fair to say that something almost the length of 2 Olympic pools and nearly as wide as one is sailing by Earth? Given that an Olympic-size pool holds 660,000 gals of water, and the weight of 1 gallon is 8.34 lbs., that would make Ms. Aardroid 5,504,400 lbs (2,752.2 tons)
Oops! I forgot that Ms. Ardroid is nearly 2 pools long by 1 pool wide, so she's twice as big as I thought!
I love that you did the math, Speedway! I thought about it and weighed all the possible permutations and decided I needed a pb&j instead! ;) xoxo
Yeh, Savannah! But I think the best part is that I managed to convert "45 aardvarks" into a comparison you and I could visualize - and that was entirely by accident!
I love ti when a post gets folk doing maths.
Aardvarks are also known as Aardpigs; they're the size of a pig (a medium-sized pig in case you're curious), but with a kangaroo's tail, a long snout for snaffling ants and the ears of a giant hare. Weirdly beautiful creatures.
So - 45 pigs gives you the size of the asteroid.
But dive, how are the pigs ordered - snout to curly tail or ribs to ribs? Are they cute little piglets or big-ass hogs (as in "The Biggest Hog in the World, who'll appear in all his porcine glory at the upcoming Indiana State Fair)? I could shelter 45 piglets in my bedroom and they'd have some room to move around. The BHINTW, though ... Whew, mebbe 8-10, but only if they laid around, which they do most of the time 'cause they're too heavy for their trotters. These titles are relative, though, because every fair has their own "biggest boar". https://www.thegazette.com/article/indiana-hog-wins-big-boar-crown-at-iowa-state-fair/
That's one biiig piiig, Speedway!
why would you.....?
Perhaps it's like hurricanes - the next asteroid of the season is to be measured in baboons, the next in cats.
I wondered, "How fast is an aardvark?" Well, one aardvark, when pressed, can reach up to 25 mph. But a herd of 45 aardvarks rushing through space on Wednesday, would have zoomed past Earth at 2000mph!
Hi, Pea. I like the weather guy in the States who has been naming mega-heatwaves after big oil. So far we've had Aramco, BP and Chevron.
Speedway, the only aardvarks I've seen in the flesh kinda stood there and snuffled round for a bit, then took a couple of steps and snuffled round some more. 45 aardvarks travelling at 2,000mph could do some serious damage so I'm glad they missed the Earth on Wednesday.
Next up: How big is a SPLAT! of aardvarks? Or, "How much splat would an aardvark SPLAT if an aardvark could SPLAT splats?"
I had to find out who was naming heatwaves after big oil and now I know! Guy Walton, a former meteorologist with The Weather Channel.
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/meteorologist-heatwaves-oil-gas-companies-b2378915.html
Dive, look what I found!
https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/9/8/6118717/interactives-calculator-asteroid-meteoroid-meteorite-comet-destroy
Of course, it's from Purdue.
Hee hee! Did you know I live 4 miles from NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab? I'll ask my neighbors about this, we have an astrophysicist on every block.
We need more Guy Waltons in the world, Savannah. xoxo
That's a wonderful website, Speedway; it reminded me of the old megadeath circular calculators that we had in the 1960s (as seen in Doctor Strangelove).
Petrea, it may be one of your neighbours who is the standard unit of measurement wit at the JPL. Whoever it is has my vote.
Post a Comment