Hokay, so …
Aardvarks - forty-five of 'em.
While I should have been working, I made a 3D aardvark on my pooter (2x1x1m plus tail and snout and weighing 50kg) and made forty-five of 'em snuggle up together. Speedway, you're gonna get me in so much trouble if I have to explain that one away.
It ended up an irregular sphere (with tails and snouts sticking out) around six metres in diameter (just over nineteen-and-a-half feet for those of you in the Colonies).
I checked the diameter against the average volume of forty-five aardvarks using
Dia = ∛of6x(Volume/∏) … Mmmm … Pie,
and it turns out the asteroid that just missed us on Wednesday was five point five six metres in diameter (eighteen feet, three inches or thereabouts).
Not exactly an extinction level event but it might make a mess if it landed on an aardvark.
8 comments:
But can you swim in it?
This is what those fancy 3D computer programs were meant for. Making big-ass aardvarks and, well, kitties.
And math was never my game. LOLLOLLOL!
Darn right, Speedway! Why just make a Norman Castle when I can squish together twenty-five virtual aardvarks?
Luckily, Fridays are pretty much deserted in the orifice so I could have a bit of aardpig fun this morning.
And yes, you could probably swim in it. Will has the VR machine at the moment and has been making videos of proposed developments with people walking, cars driving, trees swaying and water rippling.
I'm just happy making castles and aardvarks.
You need to send this foolery to NASA. Their use of such comparisons "as big as 45 aardvarks" is so general as to be meaningless - except to create time-consuming fun.
They did it again just the other day with a headline that described another asteroid as "as big as a skyscraper". yeah, but which skyscraper?
Those pesky JPL wits! There's quite some difference between Jenney's Chicago Home Insurance Building (the first official skyscraper) and the Burj Khalifa.
But I must confess, the aardvark standard unit of measurement has given us some giggles.
The mind is boggled over images of aardvarks, Dive! You and Speedway have given me much to contemplate this weekend, instead of the work had had planned! For which I am eternally in your debt! xoxo
p.s. JPL is just around the corner and down the freeway a bit, shall I pop over and ask which skyscrapers they were using as a metric???
I'd suggest an average skyscraper, but one that looks like an Art Deco space rocket - the beautiful Chrysler Building.
SOMEbody at JPL is having a good giggle with the random "standard" units of measurement and I'm glad of it. xoxo
Aardvarks get a bad rap.
But they're so CUUUUUTE!
Post a Comment