Thursday, July 27, 2023

I Miss Lockdown

I miss lockdown.

For a whole year there were only three of us (folk whose interweb was so bad we couldn't work from home) in a four-storey office block.

We had a floor each, with our own kitchen, loos and shower and on sunny days (of which there were a lot that year), PB, our Norwich chief partner (on the right above) would use the office entertainment account to lay on picnics for us. After all, we certainly couldn't entertain anyone else.

Any of the work from home brigade who tested negative for Covid (to a maximum of three to keep to the guidelines the government ignored on a daily basis) could come along to these socially-distanced picnics on the balcony overlooking the river; that's Luke and Adrian joining us in the picture above.

l-r: PB's son, Lucy the labrador, (Teal is lurking under PB's chair, on the lookout for any opportunity to steal people's food), PB, Old Dive, Jill and Adrian.
PB and me being seafoodies, every picnic involved a combination of oysters, lobster or crab, salmon and mussels, plus lots of antipasti and fresh bread and cakes from the bakery on the corner. Oh, and plenty of beer, wine and hand-sanitizer.
 
In the evenings, PB had his drum kit set up in Reception and I had an amp and guitar; Rob the Structural Engineer would bring along his bass and we'd have long, socially-distanced jam sessions. 
Just as well the surrounding office buildings were deserted as Jill said she could hear us a few hundred yards away on Station Bridge.

Somebody better kick-start the next pandemic soon because I'm getting picnic withdrawal symptoms.

4 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

Looks kind of idyllic.
I don't miss much about the pandemic except my neighbor's jazz concerts. He's first trombone in the LA Philharmonic Orchestra. His LA Phil friends would join him to play jazz on the lawn and we'd all bring out our lawn chairs and beverages and enjoy a socially distanced, low key concert.

dive said...

Sounds wonderful, Petrea. For an Aspy like me, the absence of people was bliss.

peahen said...

are.... are we allowed to admit that we liked lockdown?

I loved it. At least the first, say, three weeks when people took it seriously and actually did stay at home and did keep their distance in the supermarket. I wish all of these things had stuck around as general good manners.

dive said...

Me too! It was bliss. No traffic on the roads, no queues for food … Apparently there's a variety of cordyceps going round at the moment but so far it's nowhere virulent enough to give us a much-needed zombie apocalyspe … we have to make do with the Tories for that.