After yesterday's comments I'm off to Boise to track down Scary Larry, the ice cream man. Many thanks to Ms.M for enlightening me as to his existence.
I can't beat that for a creepy name; the best we can do around here is "Mister Whippy" which - sadly - is not an S&M ice cream franchise but merely one of those who peddle that sloppy gunk that looks like wet poo (and hence never comes in chocolate flavour).
About as far from real ice cream as … er … sloppy poo, the stuff is an aerated froth of high fructose corn syrup, water, powdered whey, mono and di-glycerides, calcium sulphate, cellulose, guar gum, polysorbate emulsifiers, a gelling agent made from seaweed (of which I approve), magnesium hydroxide (usually used as a laxative or a deoderant, it is used here to bleach the product), plus a whole lot of stuff from a chemistry set; all of which is excreted (there can be no other word once you've seen it) from a tube. Purportedly a dairy product, very little of it has ever been near a cow's udder and indeed most of it is air or stuff that you would never naturally choose to put in your mouth.
I don't know about the Colonies, but over here the stuff only comes in "white" (neither a flavour nor a colour, merely a chemical bleaching to stop it looking too much like poo) and if you want chocolate, they stick a Cadbury's Flake in it and call it (for reasons beyond the ken of mankind) a "99".
In case Flakes are only sold over here and not across the pond, a "Flake" is history's most pornographic chocolate product.
In the late 60s and 70s they used to advertise them on TV using scantily-clad (and backlit) beautiful young girls - usually in fields for some reason - who would peel back the plastic foreskin and - accompanied by a jingle litigiously akin to the "Aaaaah, aaaaah, aaaaah …" bit from The Beatles "A Day In The Life" - would then proceed to fellate the thing in close-up.
Yum!
Rampant prudery put an end to the adverts, which was a great shame as they were the only easily accessible form of soft porn available to my spotty, adolescent self. They left me with a permanent hankering for as certain shape of lip … Sigh.
When I was a kid, we had Dairyland and Paravani ice cream vans vying for our attention. Mister Softee then invaded and pushed the traditional ice cream sellers out. Foolishly we craved the sloppy gunk that was so addictively sweet it burned our mouths.
As for real ice cream, I do seem to remember a tiny place down on Blyburgate when I was very little. It had a pair of those lovely plaster figurines in the window; half-sized children with rosy cheeks and inappropriate lederhosen who looked for all the world like props from some Hitler Youth propaganda movie.
As far as I can remember, we walked in to someone's tiny living room and sat down and were served real ice cream in a bowl, made in the kitchen by an Italian immigrant family. From cream! I remember strawberry flavour and biscuitty wafers (not the crap you get in ice cream vans) and not much else.
Of course the place is long gone now but perhaps Mum can help me on this one? What was it called? It's on the tip of my tongue, but - like the flavour of the ice cream they made there - I can never quite recall it.
And now I've got Frank Zappa's "Flakes" stuck in my head. Hey ho; at least it's a considerable improvement on yesterday's song …
11 comments:
Great to have you back blogging, a nice grin is sitting on my poor sore face! (you know why it is sore)
I cannot believe you do not remember 'PITKINS'It was Simon's dad and mum who ran it, and it was in Northgate. near Clarks the bakers, home made bread wafting down the road.
What a shame they do not have anywhere like it nowadays, the lovely sundaes full of gorgeous ice cream and lots of other yummy stuff a long spoon to eat it with and all freshly home made ice cream, oh dear I am dribbling, how does the song go 'Thanks for the memories"
Wonderful post, Dive--full of local color (albeit faux vanilla and chocolate).
I wonder if McDonald's "ice cream" has the same ingredients as that muck you describe. Will have to look into that.
Also, I still can't fathom what a "flake" is, so I might have to research it. Any links that will help me bypass Kellog's?
Sheesh! My memory is even worse than I thought. Now you mention it I do remember where it was, but I had no idea it was Simon's parents. They made pretty decent ice cream. I wonder what happened to those mannequins; they'd look totally cool and creepy either side of my fireplace.
MacDonalds do ice cream? Eww! I dread to think what goes into that.
As for the Flake: here's an early ad that gives some of the … erm … flavour (from the good ol' black and white days before they stole their jingle).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEhfxGGCDzY
Over here, the soft serve confection is most easily found at Dairy Queen stands. They used to be seasonal operations, shutting down late summer, not to be available 'til around Memorial Day. The soft serve also has no flavor other than "white." I haven't been in one for many years and have no plans to return, even for research.
Last Thursday, after my surgery, I stopped at the store to get Rx's filled, one of which was a pain-killer. Maentally, at least, I threw the one for the pain-killer over my shoulder, opting instead for some ice cream therapy. I'm certain it was the ice cream that obliviated any need for an often abused drug (associated with meth users).
Fat fingers typos here I meant, "mentally."
Hmm … Never used ice cream as a painkiller before, but I have some Ben and Jerry's in the freezer so mebbe I'll punch myself in the arm and go eat some.
Maybe not …
How's the sexy scar doing? Healing up nicely I hope.
Enjoy your ice cream therapy.
Ice cream therapy is maervelous. Baen & Jaerry's Chaerry Garcia is genaerally my faevorite. Othaerwise, I'll do Hagen-Daz laemon custard, caeramel maecchiato, coffaee, and Bailey's Irish Craeme - if I caen find it.
Since I'm not ae purist, I will go for Cookies'n'Cream, Blaeck Chaerry Vaenilla, paeppermint with chunks of caendy caenes smeared throughout. Of course, thaere's some ice cream - for everydaey aches that is sold with one haelf of the caerton chocolate, the other vaenilla, each flavor accenting the other
Hæe, hæe, hæe!
And yum!
So, that's a Flake... With those kind of ads, no wonder it's so popular. I wonder if Scary Larry imports them? ;-)
In some places in the States, the white gunk is called "Soft Serve", as opposed to "hard pack" which is real ice cream.
With all this talk about ice cream, I'm seriously tempted to go get some --
Speedway, I read your comment with a brogue.
John and I have been talking about ice cream for days. I thought we could forget about it but I believe we just went over the edge.
Ms.M, they should bring back ads like that. They're far better than the programmes themselves.
"Hard pack" is such an unappetising term for something so scrummy.
Petrea: indulge. Enjoy.
Post a Comment