Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Nice Quiet Coffee

One of my favourite coffee shops and a regular rendezvous with Joy and Thom is Little Red Roaster, a place so tiny you have to leave your bag and coat outside and grease yourself up to squeeze in there, yet famed for the total awesomeness of their coffee - these guys are serious.

They're also known for their polite if oddball signage (witness this one I found in there last summer), and somewhat bizarrely this morning, one of their polite signs got them onto the national news.

The sign simply states: "Sorry, we are unable to serve you if you are on the phone. Thanks."

Suddenly a ray of hope and sanity in an obscene world. There's been quite a stink about this, kicked up by morons who insist on holding up the queue and annoying the fuck out of staff and customers alike by rudely bellowing inanities into a small box while waving away the barista trying to serve them.

Listen up, dipshits:
Either hang up the phone and get served, or leave the queue, go stand outside - somewhere away from the door where your imbecile shouting will annoy customers a whole lot less - and come back in again when you've finished your call.

It's basic politeness. Consideration for others. Do it or I will kill you.

Most of you (if anyone still reads this dross) already know my views on mobile phones and their users.
If you want the less sweary version, let's just say that anyone who happens to be talking to me face to face and then answers their phone, waves a hand up at me and continues chatting to their caller will know that I'll simply walk away and not bother speaking to them again for their unutterable fucking rudeness.

More on this another day, but I'm starting a campaign right now for mobile phone users to be provided with small covered areas outside coffee bars and restaurants where they will be required to go (like smokers) and indulge in their antisocial and FUCKING ANNOYING habit away from people who want to enjoy their coffee with friends, talking face to face at normal conversational levels without some inconsiderate fuckwit shouting drivel at the entire establishment.

Hoorah for Little Red Roaster!

Message ends.

11 comments:

Alifan said...

Well nice to see you blogging again, not too sure about the language tee he.

But of course fat or not I love you and Phil and Steve for your music as well.xx

dive said...

Definitely fat today. And grateful that I live in a village with crap mobile phone reception.

Leslie said...

AMEN to that! I was in the grocery store just yesterday and turned the corner to go down another isle and this dipshit was standing, with her cart in the middle of the isle blocking the whole thing. So, me being a polite person waited for a couple of seconds until I saw what the hold up was..she was FUCKING TEXTING..I accidently ran up her heals with the front of my cart..OOPPSSS!

dive said...

Hahahahahahaha!
Justice is sweet. Well done, avenging angel.

Robyn Martins said...

Yay, a post! I am never far from my cell phone, but I don't use it in rude ways, I'm pretty sure. I used to have a friend who would sit at a table with me in a restaurant and then have long conversations on the phone with someone else. It's always made me feel very small. She moved.

Ms M said...

Good rant! And I agree. Cellphones seem to bring out the rudeness in a lot of people.

The Little Red Roaster sounds like a coffee shop I'd enjoy. Cheers!

savannah said...

Cheers for the coffee shop! I would love to see my little town go to hands free mobiles while driving in addition to a no service while using a mobile rule. xxoxoox

Petrea Burchard said...

Oh, fab. People seem to forget that the phone does not rule them, in fact it's there for our convenience, to answer or not answer at will. Folks can leave a message. We can get back to them later, after we've had our coffee and spoken to the actual, real people in our presence.

dive said...

Yay! So nice to have mobile phone users agree with me.
Perhaps at last there will be a backlash and people will start a new fad … "Hey! You know how much we used to love video-chatting? Well there's this fabulous new thing Apple have brought out. People actually turn up somewhere together and talk FACE TO FACE! It's AWESOME! I'm gonna upgrade."

Speedway said...

Last January, I participated as a member of the crew for the half-time show for the Super Bowl. One of the first things we were told was that cell phones, cameras, any electronic devices were NOT permitted to be used. People were told to leave them in the car or turn them off. Some folks were huffy, of course, but most people complied - mostly. This was primarily done for safety concerns; if someone were to drop their phone on the field, they ran the very real risk of being run over by the 1-ton piece of the stage being pushed by themselves and 15 other people.

Guess what? People were forced to communicate with strangers, to build some sense of cammaraderie with their work mates. As a result, about 250 people learned to listen to our producer and to each other, to work together. Actual, real face-to-face friendships were made, which would not have happened if they had been making calls to family and friends and being interrupted by same.

dive said...

It's a lesson we should all learn from, Speedway. Having said that, letting people get run over by heavy machinery while they text is Darwinism in action and should be encouraged.