Katie sent me this from the Colonies.

Mmmmm …
I shall have to add this to my pantry.
Colonial Kitchen 'Imitation Bacon Bits'?
Not just 'Imitation', but 'Artificially Flavored!'
My taste buds have fled the building,
If any of you have this hiding in your cupboards I would be most grateful to discover just what the ingredients might be.
28 comments:
That's really scary. No way that would find itself on my pantry shelf.
Would I dare have anything like that in my cupboards, just in case you looked in there. tee hee!!!
Have a good day hope the trains are not too bad....
Mme and mum: I would hope neither of you would have something like that lurking in the cupboard!
I admit to having dried parsley for those desperate times when I've skipped the farmers market. But I can't imagine dried onion, much less pretend fake bacon. It's probably salted sodium.
Petrea: I simply cannot fathom why such a thing as dried onion exists, much less imitation bacon bits with artificial flavouring.
When I get down to Hell those things will be waiting for me, together with a big pile of Velveeta with Cheez-Whiz on top. Yummy!
Oh you would really find my life horrifying as I have two out of three of these items! Salad bars have those fake bacon bits on them here and there and, though I prefer the real thing, I WILL happily cover my salad with anything in the salt family.
I am slowly hardening from the inside out and will soon not be able to move my fingers to type.
That being said, I am trying trying to be more natural in my food attempts and am using way less meat since I can't find organic easily too. :)
My right foot swells when I eat imitation bacon bits.
BTW, I am nominating you for an award which will be up soon at www.poemsfromthebattlefield.com
Shan: You are forgiven any culinary sins, thanks to your glorious Meat Cake, I am wondering though just which two of the three items grace your cupboards.
Katherine: You have EATEN imitation bacon bits?
I genefluct in awe at your courage, and … er … step away slowly in fear of your insanity for committing such an act.
Awards? Yikes!
I would be a liar if I said I hadn't eaten bacon bits in my sordid past.
Shan: meat cake?
Ingredients:
Textured Vegetable Protein (soy flour, caramel coloring, Red 3), partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, natural flavorings.
THey are good on baked potatoes and have an extended shelf life of about 50 years.
Also - the artifically flavored ones are vegetarian.
Bacos were the brand we had growing up. Mom used them in spinach salad and omelets since we were kosher at the time and real bacon wasn't allowed.
Ingredients: Defatted Soy Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Sugar, Artificial and Natural Flavor, Red 40 and other Color Added, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Corn, Soy, Wheat).
If you're interested in more fake foods ending with O, ask Katie about SpaghettiOs (the new round spaghetti you can eat with a spoon... Uh-Oh! SpaghettiOs!)
Petrea: You are braver than I!
Shazza: That is a truly grim list of ingredients. I learned iduring my 15 years of strict vegetarianism that TVP is made from the dust of dead vampires.
Lulu: Eww! Hee hee hee! That is an even grosser list of parts. I suppose the only saving grace in either case is the fact that they are veggie-friendly.
Uh-oh! Food ending in 'O' sounds scary. I can't wait to find out more!
Imitation bacon bits? Artificially flavoured...hmmm. A real mystery. Exactly what is it made of - paper? Do craft classes make this stuff?
I confess to having had dried parsley though.
Oh The Humanity!!! I would rather eat dirt. Who buys that junk?
Fake bacon. Icky sicky.
Shazza has the right idea with the baked potato, but I think it would be most delicious to add the Chopped Onion and Parsley Flakes to some instant mashed potatoes, then put margerine on top and liberally sprinkle on the Imitation Bacon Bits! Mmmm.
Lulubelle you forgot the rest of the SpaghettiOs song: "Uh-Oh! SpaghettiOs! Beef Raviolio-Os!
Katie, you're just trying to upset Dive.
Do you remember canned tamales from Hormel?
I think all this must have started with WWII, or the depression. My mother thought canned and frozen things were just super. She loved fresh veggies but canned and frozen made life so much easier. As an adult I've had to completely re-learn food.
How about Hormel canned chili? A staple in the diets of many bachelors?
Like Petrea's mom, my mom also liked canned and frozen food. And living on a farm, we canned and froze vegetables and fruit during the summer to have during the winter. My mom also had these 3 items and other bottles from the Watkins man in the cupboard. I had to re-learn food, too :)
I have to say that I'm very impressed with Lulubelle's family. I've known lots of folks to keep pretty strict kosher, and don't think any of 'em went for bacon bits! I just love it!
Sarah - We were "kosher in the house". We also ate Chinese food and sausage pizza from paper plates...but not when the grandparents were around.
EWWWWW!
Lynn: I think it's made from teenagers' skin flakes, though by the time they've added the artificial flavouring it is slightly less appetising.
Mark: It's scary that enough people buy it to make it worthwhile making the stuff. Gack!
Sassy: Yay! Welcome home again, my prodigal friend. As you can see, you've not missed much here in Blogville this past year. Hey ho.
Katie: Oooooh, that sounds delicious! I shall forever be in your culinary debt for your introducing my taste buds to microwave popcorn, Twinkies and bacon-flavoured chocolate. Now it seems I have even more delights to sample!
Oh, yike, Petrea! Ths US sent that stuff over here after the war to help us during rationing. I shall never forget Spam, 'chopped ham and pork' in a tin, canned Irish Stew (blech), tinned steak and kidney pudding and similar culinary tortures.
Brr!
Ms.M: Canned chili is still available over here though mercifully I have never availed myself of its pleasures.
Sarah: Yay for kosher pork products! There is a definite market there to be exploited.
Lulu: Sausage pizza? That's almost as bad as the breakfast pizza they sell in Scotland (eggs, bacon, sausage and beans on a pizza base (AUGH)!
Vanda: I'll take that EWWWW and raise you a BLECH!
I also admit to eating canned chili and feeding it to the children when it's a "no cook" night. Mix it with some beans and cheese and serve carrots on the side and you actually get something decently healthy.
OK, let me try this comment again since it didn't stick the first time...
I don't think the colonials used dehydrated onions and fake bacon. I think somewhere in my cabinet is some dried parsley, but I don't get having a shaker full of fake meat bits.
Katherine: I think I'll just stick to the beans, cheese and carrots. Hee hee.
Robyn: If ever I get to the States I shall have to smuggle some imitation bacon bits home to terrify my friends.
Fake bacon.
Let's think of that.
Here we have a naturally occurring product (assuming you consider hacking up a piglet for your fry pan as something natural). That naturally occurring product in of itself is unhealthy as heck.
NOW we have to go and make a plastic-dried fecal-crunchy-salt lick-imitation.
What's next? Fake crack? Substitute birthday cake?
Returns his tray to the upright position and reaches for the little blue bag. Bleh.
Todd
PS My word verification is shism, which, I suspect would be found in this imitation bacon bit container.
Todd: I'm afraid I very much DO consider hacking up piglets for the pan entirely natural.
I love the way they squeal!
Mmmm … Bacon!
Post a Comment