Tuesday, July 28, 2009

500 Words - I

A couple of weeks back, Lynn and Robyn put on their writers' hats and got together for a little creative writing exercise.

They picked the book nearest to them and looked up the fifth sentence on the fifty-sixth page then used that as the basis for a five-hundred word short story.

Lynn and Robyn are both real writers so the results were always going to be good and indeed they didn't disappoint.

Here is Lynn's

And here is Robyn's.

Lynn's sentence was:
"The sweat blinded me and in one last purposeful gesture I drew together the threads linking the rhythm of our movements and knotted them in an elegant shimmer of power."

Er … not quite Jane Austin Lynn. What on earth were you reading?

Anyhoo … from that somewhat inauspicious and alarmingly racy start, our Lynn somehow managed to produce a heartwarming tale of love and respect across three generations and at the same time a tug on the conscience for poor, long-suffering Harry.
Lynn's story confirms my own view that men only grow old; they never grow up. Harry is a real delight and the perfectly named Sybil sounds as old and cracked as the Greek Sybils themselves.

There's also a lesson to us all in there about brown trousers.
Wise words, Lynn.

Robyn had a sentence from a Hemingway short story called "Fifty Grand":
"He was wearing an old blue jersey and an old pair of pants and had on boxing shoes."

From this little vignette she wove a story involving a little boy and his parents that was both charming and moving.
Robyn has a wonderful eye for detail and dialogue and in a brief exchange between her characters she told three complete life stories.
She has the knack of all great artists in that she can sketch a few quick strokes and allow the viewer's - or in this case the reader's - eye fill in all the detail almost without them knowing it.

Listen to the three of them talk - the boy, the mother and the father - and you already know them; you know their past lives and their futures, just as you do Harry and Sybil in Lynn's story.

Great writing.

So … how on earth do we follow that lot?
Well, I'll tell you …

Our esteemed ladies have been kind enough to appoint me Official Sentence Setter for a regular creative writing blogfest.

What I shall be doing is setting a sentence every week or two (depending on how busy we are outside Blogville) for Lynn, Robyn and anybody else who wants to join us (this means you) to use as the basis for a short story or essay.

The only rules will be:

- I will set the sentence and there'll be no arguing!

- The story shall be 500 words long … that will usually include the first sentence unless - as this week - it is ludicrously long, so then you can choose whether or not to include it in your word count.

- Post it when you've finished so we can all enjoy it.

That's it for the rules.
Easy, huh?

As you know I have way too many books so I'm not short of an odd sentence or two.
I shall be setting the occasional Shakespearean or Classical sentence so you can write in period style if you fancy … or not, if you don't.
There will probably be other genre pieces, too; maybe a Jane Austen bodice-ripper or a Raymond Chandler hardboiled private dick or any manner of literary oddity.
You can write in the style of the author or completely subvert the genre; whatever the hell you like.

Above all, just enjoy yourelves.
If you don't feel like writing you don't have to, but if the sentence gives you an idea then go for it.

To set you off, I have chosen the first sentence and it is from Nabokov's "Lolita" (yup).
I wanted to test Lynn and Robyn with an awkwardly long sentence that included an odd name, just to see what they come up with.

The sentence is:
"And again next day a thinly populated sky, losing its blue to the heat, would melt overhead, and Lo would clamour for a drink, and her cheeks would hollow vigorously over the straw, and the car inside would be a furnace when we got in again, and the road shimmered ahead, with a remote car changing its shape mirage-like in the surface glare, and seeming to hang for a moment, old-fashionedly square and high, in the hot haze."

Have a go yourselves.
So that you won't feel embarrassed, I've joined in too and shall post my own effort tomorrow.
I am DEFINITELY not a writer of any kind (as a writer I make a pretty good musician) so it's gonna be pretty awful, but at least Robyn and Lynn will post their own stories and I'll feature them here together with any others who might feel tempted to join us.

Now get writing and have fun!

19 comments:

neetzy said...

I will participate if you don't poke too much fun of me.

from cali said...

No arguing? Then I won't fucking participate! Stop applauding, Dive. ;)

Hardboiled private dick, you don't say? I just read the best dick story ever TODAY, but it will have to remain private.

Can't wait to read what all of you creative types come up with.

Scout said...

Okey Dokey. I've actually finished mine, so I'll post it now just a few hours before Tuesday.

Oh, and you're nice about my writing. Thanks!

Scout said...

OH, and one more thing—Dive lies. He is a very good writer.

dive said...

Neetzy: no fun shall be poked.
Er … It better not be, anyway, as I'll be taking part, too and I've not written anything since school.

Cali: With your wonderfully twisted sense of humour you had darned well better take part, young lady!

Robyn: I can't wait to see your piece.

And of course I lie (I'm a man), but not about the fact that I can't write my way out of a wet paper bag.

Alifan said...

I have read Robyn's this morning..

And of course I will enjoy reading them all, you would not dare let me lose on writing, I love reading and perhaps you will be pleased that I will be reading good writing. not non books. (private joke)....tee hee..

dive said...

Yup: these ones don't come in icky pink covers. Hee hee.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Eek I'm lagging behind - but there are reasons. Not excuses; reasons. Honest, Sir? :)

Ok thanks so much for the lovely write-up on my writing. Much appreciated. Mine will be on my Things UK blog not the Cheltenham Daily Photo one as that's..er well clearly a photo blog. lol. That's some clear writing for you right there.

So, the book was The Rich Are Different, by Susan Howatch. I wasn't reading it, I'd read it when I was around 17, but I happened to be sitting near that bookshelf, hence the random pick at arm's length to nearest book, as per the rules and oh I do like rules. No literary tale but well written for a really good yarn, I recommend it. Not quite as filthy as that sentence suggests, either.

So, with a packed day ahead and running on empty, yeah yeah these ARE excuses, it looks like I'm going to have to write it today. I don't want to be that girl who hands in late. he he. FUN! Thanks for taking over the task setting for us Dive. Who knows what skullduggery might have taken place had Robyn and I continued under our own devices. :)

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Ha! at the tacky comments yesterday. I've replied.

dive said...

I know how busy you've been, Lynn, so no worries about late homework.

I shan't be reading the Susan Howatch if it's not as filthy as the sentence suggests. Hee hee.

Sounds like you need a relaxing day with tea, cake and writing.
Feel free to indulge in skulduggery should the mood take you.

Shan said...

I'm so tempted to join in but I REALLY REALLY don't like writing. I like it when I get started actually but I can't ever remember that until it's too late. I still have bad dreams about not going to class in college and then showing up for a test I'm not ready for. EEK!!!

Plus, I'm going away from Computerland again for a visit with my fam in Oklahoma. (Yeah, yeah what else can I throw in.)

Darn it I'm a lamo. I'll come back and read 'em all next Monday. ;) Fun fun!

Anonymous said...

Okay, mine is up.. be kind!

dive said...

Shan: you are excused, but just this once!
Of course, you can always get Jamey or the boys to write in your name. Hee hee.
Have a wonderful trip!

Prudence: I am amazed you managed to write so quickly! And what a wonderful story!
I've linked to it in the next post so everyone else can drop in and read it.
Yay!

Lulubelle B said...

Hmmm...

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

I DO need a relaxing day with tea and cake, Dive, I so do. Writing's pretty much there all the time, but yes I do love it.

dive said...

Lulu: Okay, so maybe a 500 word haiku isn't a good idea.
Hee hee.

Lynn: Mmmmm … cake is goooood.

Lulubelle B said...

Hee Hee back at you. Game on.

http://lulu-unlimited.blogspot.com/2009/07/lulu-and-lola.html


Be kind, my last writing class was long ago.

neetzy said...

Hey Dive,

I like your story. My apologies for not commenting on it earlier. I was so caught up in the rules and trying to figure out what to write. You ARE a good writer. My only criticism is that if you are from the midwest don't use the British spelling of "colour". You have to lower yourself to American standards. I know we spell things wrong?

dive said...

Lulu: Your story is awesome!

Neetzy: Hee hee. Yes, I did wonder about using the Webster spelling but the pedant in me threatened to stick forks in my eyes if I tried it.
Hey ho. So much for writing in character.