Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Pretentious Twat

So, we blunder innocently into the self-analytical quagmire that is Robyn's soundtrack challenge.
Musical tastes decade by decade.
Are you all sitting comfortably? This could take a while; I've lived through an awful lot of decades …

Having been concieved and born to the sound of rock and roll (1958), my earliest musical experience must have been of dad's big box of 78s; early Elvis (I remember loving "That's All Right, Mama"), Little Richard, et al; blagged off US airmen while he was tooling around the Med on nuclear bombers in the fifties.

As for actual clear, childhood memories: I remember sitting on the floor of our dank little terraced house (the one with the outside privy, full of spiders and darkness, that haunted my early years), gazing up at the small patch of grey sky, just visible above the rain-washed houses over the road; lost in the sounds of Wout Steenhuis - a Dutch slide guitar player - and mum's LP of Hawaiian singers. The dream of escape; of sunshine; of something better.

We had a battered old upright piano in the front room. Mum and dad would belt out boogie woogie on it. Or mum would sneak up behind Tchaikovsky, then leap on him and the two of them would go head to head like a couple of sumo wrestlers. She was pretty good. She got the odd smackdown. Her mum used to sing and play piano for the silent movies and taught her well. Mum also played at the Sunday School in the old mission hall at the top of the road while we bothered God.
She tried to teach me piano when I was three, but then Uncle Bernie went and fucked up my life big time by giving me a little guitar …

First single bought with pocket money: "Message to Martha"; a Burt Bacharach song covered by Adam Faith. I also remember loving "Three Little Fishes" …
Then came The Beatles …
I was a fanatic. I had the little Beatles suit, all the records and nonsense that they released.
Then one day, I sat in front of the old Dansette, worked out the riff to "I Feel Fine", bought a pick-up for the guitar and an old valve amp and embarked on a life of reprobate behaviour.
The soundtrack to my sixties was The Beatles and Radio Caroline. They were a pirate station, operating off a trawler in international waters just down the coast from us, playing only album tracks. Until they sunk in the seventies, they were my food and drink. We even had our own pirate station for a while, with their help and advice. Radio Maidstone. Operating from above a friend's dad's chip shop in Lowestoft, playing mostly our own stuff. Heady days …

Then along came hormones and girls and kinda put a stop to all that.

In the early seventies, I was in prog heaven. Our band covered Yes and Genesis and Mahavishnu stuff (I played lead guitar; I was a precocious little bastard); while mum and dad filled the house with west coast rock and things were, well … groovy.
I also sung tenor in the school and the church choirs for a while (a cheap way to pick up girls); I can still remember most of Verdi's Requiem. But then came the almost physical shock of hearing Stravinski's Rite of Spring, and choir went straight out the window.

Back at school I was chummy with the deputy headmistress; we had a shared greed for avant-garde music and Japanese opera. Which was great, because while everyone else had to wear uniform, she let me wear my ratty old afghan coat and grow my hair long. She also let my band play gigs at the school, which was pretty unheard of back then.

Then along came punk.
I turned eighteen in '76 and it was a blast. Pistols, Clash, Patti Smith. I didn't really care that everybody suddenly hated virtuouso guitar playing; I managed my mate's punk band and headed off to college, where I discovered Bob Marley, dropped out, and then endless years of gigs and sessions followed in something of a blur …

There seems to be a big hole in my memory. I'll have to check through my vinyl when I get home and find out what happened in the eighties. Sitting here, I really don't have a clue. I do remember some really horrible things/bands/people/events, but that's probably best left in the box marked "Used Decades" and tucked out of sight.

The next thing I can remember is Pixies and Nirvanva and discovering Steve Albini and then Bongwater.

Robyn's right. The older I get, the more stuff I like. I still love anything extreme, but I'll listen to everything from country to opera to metal to rap … whatever … as long as it's the real thing: music from musicians who care about what they do.
The only thing I won't listen to is "product" … oh, and power ballads … and light operetta … but anything else goes …

I just read that back. Ye gods, I sound like a pretentious twat! Oh, well. Thanks, Robyn, for a self-revealing - and somewhat prolonged - afternoon coffee break.

25 comments:

Sassy Sundry said...

Wow. That's a great musical journey. I'll have to get over my rantiness and provide a map to my own.

Sassy Sundry said...

OK. I posted one on Robyn's blog.

Old Knudsen said...

I want to hang around with you so I can become cool by association.

Scout said...

"while we bothered God." I'm still reading, but I had to stop and laugh at this line.

Scout said...

Well, I was hesitant as I read because I was afraid you were going to call me 'pretentious twat" for starting this self-analytical thing. I don't think you sound pretentious--you just defined the ages with what you knew and liked and hated. I really an fascinated by this subject. I think it deserves more exploring.

Also, exactly what does "twat" mean, so I don't use it if I shouldn't :)

dive said...

Um (all embarrassed) … Er … Sorry, Robyn; it's a euphemism for "ladies' parts" (as Old K would no doubt inform you), but it's a fairly mild deprecation over here in Blighty; along the lines of oh. bugger!
Please don't use it, Robyn; you're far too nice.

As for Old K himself; coming from the coolest man in the blogsphere (indeed the man for whom the interweb was surely created), that kind of compliment will have me grinning like a twat all week …
Unless, of course, it was impeccable sarcasm, in which case it's still cool.

Sassy: I'm now off over to Robyn's blog to check out your soundtrack.

Sassy Sundry said...

Hee hee. I don't know that many Britishisms, but I seem to have my naughty bits down cold.

Scout said...

Ooooohhhhhh, I get it. I'll be careful with that word. :)

You British people and your "fucking Queen's English" as Old Knudson calls it.

There! I said it.

dive said...

OH, ROBYN!

My mum will be so disappointed … but I'll bet Old K is dancing round the room.

And Sassy; don't let Old K offer to warm up those bits you have "down cold" …

dod said...

An explanation of the word "twat", it comes from an Old Norse word for cut or slit. Pronounced to rhyme with 'hat', or, in some regions, 'pot', it is widely used in the UK as a slightly more expressive form of 'twit' or 'idiot', and it seems likely that many of the people using it do not know what it means, or at least choose not to think about it. They are in good company. Robert Browning clearly didn't when he wrote the following lines in Pippa Passes:

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry.

However it is probable that he was misled by a poem printed around 1660 when that well known and scurrilous poet Anon stated:

They talked of his having a Cardinal's Hat,
They'd send him as soon an Old Nun's Twat.

Which appears to be why Browning thought it meant a piece of nun's clothing, specifically a wimple; and is a clear lesson to us all to check words we don't understand in a dictionary, and not to infer meaning from context.

A Scottish alternative to these words, little-known south of the border, is 'fud'.

dive said...

Yo! マイク, dude!

You clever twat.
Welcome to the site.
How are the robots coming on? I'm looking forward to the next effusion from the box of broken biscuits that is your mind.

By the way, your game is all over the tube today.

Yip, and indeed, pee!

デビツド

Scout said...

It's like the word "dork" which is used in the same way as nerd but means something else entirely, usually.

dive said...

Indeed.
The power of the human imagination for euphemisms is something I think we'd best steer well clear of …

Thanks again for kicking off this splendid little exchange. I'm now off to bed. Nighty-night …

Old Knudsen said...

I can't believe it, Robyn must of got a contact high from your Blog, she said it, and you are all swearing, I feel like a father whose wife has just given birth to 11 boys with good strong kicking legs.
You are all a bunch of twats.

dive said...

Robyn:
Mikey has put a handy link to the etymology of such euphemisms on his site (Oh, Mikey link), should you feel the need to refer to it.
It's from the BBC, so it's not like reading Old K.
They explain a few of the differences between UK and US usage, but not the one that always makes me laugh on the Simpsons (where Homer and Bart are laughing about wankers - obviously much milder or misunderstood over there).

Scout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scout said...

Knudson, I deleted my comment here because I saw that I had left out a word. What I meant was, you'll never hear IT from me again, as in certain swear words which I won't name. Sorry.

Dick Headley said...

I'm glad you fixed that. I've been following Old Knudsen's activities closely and I know how sensitive he can be beneath that crusty persona.

Old Knudsen said...

Robyn, I may not hear/read it from you again but I can see it in the reviews below me monkey until you say something worse, thats right dh these tossers have made me almost cry so many times.

Scout said...

Where's that British dictionary? Now I have to look up "tossers."

Sassy Sundry said...

Robyn, I recommend watching British films (not the period pieces). You'll get a pretty good feel for what's what. I still can't believe you said a swear. :)

dive said...

Oh, dear; here we go …
Tossers, wankers, and many others relate to male onanism (poor Onan; we surely don't need a euphemism for that; onanism is a splendid word in itself).

I too, need an English/American dictionary. I've just got home and started off my butternut squash for the risotto and looking in my vegetable rack, I realise that you call courgettes zucchini; just one of a myriad of culinary inconsistencies.

I feel the mental notes forming for a future blog/discussion …

Sassy: I love "said a swear". It produced a raucous chortle.

Scout said...

Zucchini is a green squash thing, but butternut squash is a tannish squash thing. I'll post pictures.

At least Sassy didn't call me a cusser. And by the way, I was only quoting the old man.

dive said...

Old K certainly has a lot to answer for (said the bloated pig, full of tannish squash thing risotto).

Taihae said...

I'm the product of the UK and US having a hot steamy date, pure half and half. So I know the naughty words as well as most of the others.
I am awed by the unraveling of history your lips does tell...you make me feel so damnably young.
thank your bro phil for his caption contribution for me.
goodness, robyn, i didn't know you had it in you! that use of the F-bomb was positively scandalous!