Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paella Time


All through autumn and winter I'm a risotto hound but April is paella time over at my house.

Enjoy.

14 comments:

Leslie said...

YUM! That's all..

Robyn Martins said...

Whatcha got in the glass there, Dive?

dive said...

It certainly was, Leslie.

Robyn, it's probably Rioja as I tend to knock that back when I'm cooking anything Spanish. Hang on … I'll go look in the kitchen …
Yup. An empty Rioja bottle in the recycle bin. The fact that I couldn't remember what I was drinking probably means it was so good I drank too much … er.

Speedway said...

Okay, Dive, I will go to the store tomorrow to buy the ingredients for this paella. I will, however use chicken as I am entirely too far inland to have fresh tuna or prawns. A brand of canned tuna over here is called "Chicken of the Sea." I suppose I will have the "Tuna of the Midwest." Or would that be catfish? Hmmm.

dive said...

No worries, Speedway. The one I cooked yesterday was veggie only.
Never use canned tuna for anything other than self-defence (a thrown can of tuna usually hurts pretty bad). If you can't get fresh, either move to the coast or - as you're doing - dismember a chicken.
As for catfish … Yummm!

Ms M said...

I love a good dish of Paella; this looks like a great recipe. But we'll have to dismember a chicken since it's a bit of a commute to the coast...although we do have fresh trout and salmon -- but I don't think either would work for this.

dive said...

If you can't get fresh prawns, Ms.M. I'm sure your river must be full of crayfish. Some idiot let loose some American crayfish over here a few years back and they've been decimating our local ecosystem, so at last we've hit on the ideal solution and we're eating every one of those suckers we can catch.

Speedway said...

I went to the grocer today to buy stuff to make paella. Got a dozen shrimp, green peas, mushrooms, blah-blah-blah, but there wasn't fresh basil to be found! Could it be everyone has been reading your cookery posts and making paella and "proper" pizza? (We're not going all squidy, though, but the sushi kiosk at the store hasn't had any octokittens, like, forEVER!)

Last summer, I bought a French coffee press and, once used, have never gone back to my trusty coffeemaker. Have a pot brewing now.

dive said...

No fresh basil? I've always got a couple of plants on my kitchen windowcill if you want some, even though I feel a little guilty about ripping my little green friends' leaves off every evening at dinner time.
Hee hee for the proper pizza!

Over here we call those things cafetières. The first time I heard the term "French Press" I thought it was a sexual position.

Speedway said...

Maybe a "French press" is a guy lifting weights with his tongue sticking out?

dive said...

Hee hee.

Ms M said...

Crawfish would be a good substitute. Oddly enough, they are not available here, at least not right now. Maybe in the summer.

Speedway said...

Made the paella, using humble ingredients available to me, adding sliced mushrooms and a dozen shrimp. Loved it and have passed "Dive's Dumb as Fuck Paella" recipe on to several friends.

dive said...

Ms.M. I suppose I'm lucky living on such a tiny island that even someone right in the middle can drive to the sea in an hour or so. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get fresh seafood.
Probably drink a lot more …

Speedway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm a huge fan of the kind of dishes where I can simply shove everything into a pan and go away and when I come back it's ready to dish up.