More vocal pyrotechnics today.
There's a new generation of musicians out there who are blowing away the old guard and setting the bar ever higher (okay, I admit to being in love with Alina Ibragimova but she doesn't just look good, she plays with astonishing brilliance).
Here be another of those annoyingly young, beautiful and outrageously talented people, the delicious Diana Damrau in a great scary fright wig kicking the crap out of the Queen of the Night's aria from "Die Zauberflöte".
You want voice control? Holy fuck!
This is taken from a DVD of Mozart's Die Zauberflöte live from The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. Colin Davis conducted, Dorothea Röschmann played Pamina (getting so effectively menaced by Diana Damrau in the clip), but the DVD is worth the price for Simon Keenlysides' Papageno alone. Touching and hilarious.
Go buy the DVD. As a single man without a girlfriend I've found it to be the most fun I can have on a rainy afternoon. Hey ho.
9 comments:
I'm not a big opera/classical fan, but, you're right -- they are superb!
Woo hoo! That was incredible! What lungs! My first introduction to The Magic Flute was through Ingmar Bergman's film. We watched it in high school Humanities class. I loved it then. I love it now!
Ms.M: I must confess, the older I get, the more I love this stuff. I think the last time I listened to a chart music show was around 1970.
Neetzy: "What lungs!" Hee hee hee. That's a phrase I can't wait to try out on somebody.
Amazing. Yay for young talent, and especially yay for keeping master works alive and not slipping into the gutter with current pop crap.
Darn tootin', Robyn.
I'd love to see Lady Gaga try that aria (okay, I lied).
That's what that song is from! I get that high part in my head sometimes and like to try to sing it. harhar
I don't care for Opera but I like certain bits a lot.
There's an alien in the movie The Fifth Element who sings opera and they kinda play off this song a bit jazzing it up. I love it. :D
Shan, you've done it now. We HAVE to see a video of you singing this aria!
I remember the blue alien singing a sampled cut-up pastiche of it. Probably the best part of the movie (with the possible exception of Milla Jovovich dressed in a small amount of surgical tape - ahem).
I agree. The rest of the movie was just kinda there but when I saw Mila in that role I thought "Who IS this perfect woman who can even act pretty well?!" ;D
Hee hee, Shan. The very idea of Milla Jovovich being able to act has cheered me right up. When you look like that and wear as little as that you don't need to act.
Post a Comment