Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Crap In The Attic

Those of you who have, for some inexplicable reasons of your own hung around here for many a long year might remember tales from my attic. Some may even recall the creature that lives up there, lurking in the dark corners, always just on the edge of sight, making occasional scurrying and crunching noises as it catches and eats its prey.
Yup, I was up there again last weekend and "The Thing That Eats Spiders" is still there.
Considering how many spiders I have in the rest of my house the fact that I have never seen a single one in the attic led me some years back to the inevitable conclusion that something up there eats them.

I like spiders as a rule. They're clean, they don't require any looking after and they eat those filthy flies and bugs that shit all over your food. A cobweb at the kitchen window makes for a great flyscreen, and a pretty entertaining one at times.
But we also have the 'giant house spider' here (Tegenaria duellica), a monstrous bastard, tales and photographs of which I have posted in the past but no way am I going to go and look at them again now. And those, together with the lanky scuttling things that come in here off the fields at harvest time and startle the crap out of me, make me glad that The Thing That Eats Spiders lives up in my attic. It's nice to know that I can rummage around up there in the semi-darkness and not find a bunch of six inch wide, fifteen mile-an-hour hairy bastards running up my arms.

Anyhoo …
Apart from the lack of spiders, there are many and varied wonders in my attic. Fifty-two years worth of accumulated crap to be precise. Together with some useful stuff I have no room for down here in the land where spiders live.
Every once in a while I find I need something that's stored somewhere in a box in the attic, so I head on up there and come down a couple of days later with boxes full of crap I never knew I had, having completely forgotten what it was I went up there for in the first place.

Last weekend I happened upon a box full of old prints and maps going right back to the 1700s; stuff I had picked up over the decades either because it seemed like a good idea at the time or because it came in a job lot with an item I actually wanted.
The box was labelled "Unframed stuff" and in it I found something that might interest those of you living in our Lost Colonies.

This is a Lowry map of your neck of the woods from back in 1802.
A couple of you I know live in places that are actually marked on here, but most of you now live in what was then wild and uncharted wildernesses of guesswork, peopled with the occasionally mis-spelled names of the folk who lived there before the blessings of civilisation rained down upon their heads.

 Here's an enlargement of the middle part of the map. Click on either of these pictures; I've saved them so they blow up pretty big, so they may take a couple of seconds to load.
I must confess to sitting here for ages, wasting my time in a pleasant yet futile manner, figuring out where you all live and what has happened in those places since this map was drawn.

From over here in the Ancient World, folk in the US of A seem somewhat obsessed with history, probably because their own has as yet been so brief. It would be nice to learn a little bit of the history of those parts where you now live, like when your settlements were founded, what happened to the people who lived there originally, what your town or city has become known for and any other little snippets of history that might startle or entertain us.
Write 'em here in the comments or do a post of your own about them (Robyn and Petrea get a pass on this one for all the excellent work they already do detailing local history online).
I'd love to know.

Ooh, ooh! A quick addendum:
I just remembered there are big, fold-out maps in my lovely eleven volume 1756 edition of Smollett's "History of England" (the brown ones in the eighth photo down in my "Pimp My Dante" post) and I'm pretty sure the Colonies are in there somewhere.
I shall have a rummage and scan in what I find for the next post.
Hooray for old crap!

12 comments:

savannah said...

savannah (savanna)is there, sugar! i love old maps. love the stories from the attic. ;~D xoxoxox

Ms M said...

I love old maps, too. Where I grew up and where I live now is all wilderness on this map. Thomas Jefferson cut a deal with Napoleon in 1803 and "made" the Louisiana Purchase, and Missouri (where I grew up) later became one of the states within it. I currently live in Idaho, which looks to be uncharted territory on this map.

dive said...

Savannah, it's good to know you live somewhere that's been civilised for a long time.
I've got an earlier and much more detailed map to post later and they spell "Savannah" correctly on that one.
xoxoxox

Ms.M: Yup, back then Idaho was just a big ol' blank space way out beyond the Snake Nation. They even had dotted lines for the Missouri because they still had no idea where it went.
And the Rocky Mountains were so young they were still known as the Stony Mountains.
On the earlier map I'll be posting next you are right off the edge of the known world. Yikes!
I imagine it must be nice and peaceful and quiet out there even now, but I'll probably be proved wrong.

Katherine said...

"From over here in the Ancient World, folk in the US of A seem somewhat obsessed with history, probably because their own has as yet been so brief."

Yep, we are obsessed, probably for the reason you mentioned and others. Compared to some other countries, we have a poor record for historic preservation and education. So those that care can get pretty neurotic about it, and rightly so.

dive said...

Katherine, I know some of you guys have a reputation for tearing down your historic buildings, but you do have a lot left. I hope to find out more about them in these posts. Robyn has already found out about Logs Town (on the next post's map) near her home. Apparently it was a big Indian settlement in the 1700s where conferences were held between the British, the French and the Indians before the Seven Years War broke out.

I love this stuff (which is why I also love your own posts about the Civil War battlefields near your home).

Petrea Burchard said...

Well, you know I love this. I didn't know you knew about my local history stuff. I've just done a series of articles about the Tongva people who populated the Los Angeles basin before the Spanish arrived. Your map is from about 30 years after that momentous occasion; at the time Alta California was still part of Mexico, which was a Spanish territory.

neetzy said...

Oh what fun Fantastical old maps! Something worthwhile to delve into. I'll dig up some history of my adopted town and perhaps some from my home town back in Jersey. I've been meaning to photograph some interesting old buildings around here but it has been too friggin cold.

dive said...

Petrea, having no satellite or cable I cannot watch you on TV over here so instead I am a fan of your writing (and photography). I love your heritage posts especially and now I'm going to have to track down your articles on the Tongva. Thanks to you Southern California has become so much more than it appears in movies and on TV.

Neetzy: I'd love to hear about your local history, both there and back in Jersey. We get a very one-sided view of American history over here (we still think we'd have made a better job of the Colonies than you uppity rebels did - hee hee), so any chance to balance things up is more than welcome.

Petrea Burchard said...

Oh gosh, Dive, I'm not proud. I'll make it easy for you.

Here's the first one:
http://patch.com/A-cSST

The second:
http://patch.com/A-ds5F

The third is pending.

:)

dive said...

Wow! Those are great pieces, Petrea. Painful to read, but essential. I can't wait to read the third installment to see how the remaining Tongva survived the tragedy of Spanish rule.
If you don't mind I'd like to print those out and slip them inside the cover of my copy of Debo's "A History Of The Indians Of The United States" as neither Tongva nor Gabrielino appear in the index.
I'm afraid I have only two books on Native Americans (other than general histories) and it appears that they are woefully inadequate.

Petrea Burchard said...

Sure, go ahead. It's so nice that you're interested.

The reason the Tongva-Gabrielino don't appear in your index is the tribe is not "officially recognized" by the federal government. The State of California recognizes them, but federal recognition is a struggle. Official recognition allows tribes certain privileges and benefits. For a tribe that inhabited thousands of square miles in southern California for hundreds of years, it seems a travesty that they haven't achieved this recognition.

However, the tribe's internal problems are stumbling point. This article is enlightening.

dive said...

That's a terribly sad story, Petrea. A disenfranchised, lost people, first having their cultural identity all but erased by "missionisation' they now appear (at least some of them) to have fallen prey to commercial greed.
I hope they gain the recognition they need to protect themselves before it is too late.