"Come, my darling, and kiss my weird alien face and I promise that next time I'll pay for a sculptor who can do hair and sleeves properly and not make us look all wrinkly and wet."
Eeuw! Those folks look as though they were spawned in a curbside puddle in the bad part of town. In a city with such beautiful old architecture and art, how did the city let this one get by?
Thank you, one and all. Personally, I find this statue hideous, especially being where it is: smack bang in the middle of St.Pancras Station; but if there were no crap statues, my Saturday posts would be pretty much empty.
A few years back we had a dust-up in Pasadena because the Arts Commission wanted to install new works on the plaza in front of the Civic Center. The Civic Center is an historical building and to some people (including me), the works were too modern, a clash. People said what they felt and feelings were hurt, but the artworks did not go up. There was nothing wrong with the art, it just didn't belong in the setting.
I was trying not to hurt feelings, but in this case, Dive, I agree. There's something wrong with the art.
7 comments:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Best caption EVER! Well done, sugarpie, this REALLY made me laugh out loud! xoxoxox
Eeuw! Those folks look as though they were spawned in a curbside puddle in the bad part of town. In a city with such beautiful old architecture and art, how did the city let this one get by?
Well. I agree with Alifan, though I must say whatever one's taste, the sculpture clashes with the building.
Thank you, one and all.
Personally, I find this statue hideous, especially being where it is: smack bang in the middle of St.Pancras Station; but if there were no crap statues, my Saturday posts would be pretty much empty.
A few years back we had a dust-up in Pasadena because the Arts Commission wanted to install new works on the plaza in front of the Civic Center. The Civic Center is an historical building and to some people (including me), the works were too modern, a clash. People said what they felt and feelings were hurt, but the artworks did not go up. There was nothing wrong with the art, it just didn't belong in the setting.
I was trying not to hurt feelings, but in this case, Dive, I agree. There's something wrong with the art.
The clothing is rather wrinkly -- perhaps the models were wearing linen. Wet linen :-) Perhaps they'd been "singing in the rain"....
I agree that the statue doesn't "go with" the building. Sometimes public art seems to be stuck in places where it aesthetically doesn't work.
Post a Comment