Sunday, June 09, 2013

Stained Glass Sunday - Smiley Cat and the Boob Fairy

One of many spiffy parts of Norwich Cathedral. I took this not so much for the stained glass but for the little gargoyley decorated heads around the frieze, in particular the left and right carvings on this face which I can only describe as Smiley Cat and the Boob Fairy (you'll need to click on the photo to enlarge it).
I heartily recommend exploring your local cathedral with an eye for the weird and wonderful things hidden away on high.

Hey, on an unrelated note I'm listening to a new disc of Couperin's Trois Leçons de Ténèbres (Vivat 102: Carolyn Sampson: soprano; Marianne Beate Kielland: mezzo with the King's Consort under Robert King), which is beautiful in itself, but reading the liner notes I find the theorbo - played so gorgeously by Lynda Sayce - was made by my old music teacher and world-class lutenist, David van Edwards. Yay!

2 comments:

Alifan said...

Sounds a nice piece of music! I could do with something to calm me down ha ha last little chick launched itself backward at 8.14am I was so busy worrying about it did not get a screen grab, but no doubt there will be someone who has, and I will be happier when know it has landed safely… The lads are there with their cameras wish I had come up there now.

dive said...

Come om up. I'm heading into the city for elevenses anyway. We can pop along and see what's happening.