Monday, February 01, 2010

WTF Monday


More disgusting faux food this week.
Phil and myself were in a camping and outdoor shop on Sautrday, buying some thermals for his fishing trips. And there, between the thermal underwear and the hiking boots was this plastic bag full of goo.
Lancashire hot pot is a traditional stew of lamb, onions, potatoes and carrots and is delicious and warming when made fresh in the winter. If you make enough of it you can make it last two days and it is even nicer on the second day.

What you should never do, however, is make up a load of hot pot, then pour it into plastic bags and hang it up beside the thermal underwear in a camping shop. Within a few days you'll have a nice rotting bag of mould and slime.
Whatever is in that bag is NOT Lancashire hot pot but instead some unhealthy chemical concoction of preservatives and God knows what artificial cack and I for one would decidedly not trust the exhortation printed on the front: 'Complete Meal - Ready to Eat - Eat Hot or Cold.'
Rather I would do just what I did on Saturday: blanch in horror and back away slowly.

16 comments:

Katie said...

I bet if you added dried Chopped Onion, Parsley Flakes and Imitation Bacon Bits Artificially Flavored to this bag o' stew it would taste great! (Did you notice it says "Eat Hot Or Cold"? Cold stew? Blech!)

Unknown said...

Why don't they just call it what it is. Not 'Hot Pot' rather 'Rotten Bag.' I'll bet you could ferment bananas in the sun and get the same consistency.

PS my authentication word for this post is dinks. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Volmon said...

Sounds like a colostomy bag in need of emptying, if you ask me.

dive said...

Hee hee, Katie: If I added that lot the whole thing would probably ferment and explode. Blech indeed!

Todd: I think they should call it 'Not Pot' or Rot Pot'.
Your fermented banana mush sounds almost enticing in comparison.

Lucio: I think you've discovered their secret manufacturing process.

Volmon said...

Or ... Rot in a Pot: the meal that's pre-prepared, pre-packaged and pre-digested.

dive said...

Hahahahaha!
Both excellent and disgusting; my favourite type of comment.
Thank you, Lucio.

Volmon said...

Je vous en prie, guvna.

Scout said...

Um, what is Lancashire hot pot?

This looks like the "astronaut" food we used to buy for fun—dried ice cream.

Shazza said...

I was just going to comment on the freeze dried ice cream but Robyn beat me to it!

Glad I'm not the only one!

I was even brave enough to "try" it....nasty stuff.

Ms M said...

Definitely Yuck! Nice radiation green color, too. Before I enlarged the photo, I thought the 6 small green objects below the "Lancashire Hot Pot" banner were little skulls.

Scout said...

Oops, you explained what Lancashire hot pot is. Sorry.

dive said...

Lucio: Hee hee.

Robyn: About the most basic stew it is possible to make, but then they are pretty basic up in Lancashire.
Dried ice-cream?

Shazza: You, too? We used to have powdered egg in the old austerity days but I've not come across dried ice cream before. Sounds healthy and natural … er.

Ms.M: I laughed out loud at your 'skulls' comment. Brilliant! I'm almost tempted to sneak back in there with some little skull stickers.

Robyn: Hee hee. Yup.

Unknown said...

Shan and Scout hit the nail on the head. Freeze dried horse-manuer in a spiffy bag.

Alternate names:

Snot-pot
Clot-pot (caused by consuming)
or (drumroll) Shit.

Sassy Sundry said...

Freeze-dried hot pot. Sounds like something a corporation would make.

MmeBenaut said...

I love Lancashire hot pot - which I've always called Irish stew - and make it every winter.

Another good find Dive dear, even if it does make the stomach turn a bit.

dive said...

Tood: Eww! And hee hee!

Sassy: Probably tastes like it, too.

Mme: Yes, the folk on either side of the Irish Sea both claim title to an almost identical recipe.
Either way it is delicious and warming on a cold winter's day.