The Great Hall takes shape!
At long last the skellington of the Minstrels' Gallery is in place.
Next year you can come along and pretend to be King Henry the First or Queen Adeliza at their Christmas bash in 1121 (though alas, no porpoise or swan on the menu this time around). You can, however, dress up and sit on the thrones and order peasants and tourists about. Fun!
There will be much quaffing of mead and mediæval cosplay as the place will be bookable for events. Expect to hear the strains of The Rains of Castermere from the Minstrels' Gallery, but hopefully without the massed crossbows and slaughter of the Red Wedding.
So, it's time to start brushing up on your rondelet and carole dance steps and buffing up your codpiece.



11 comments:
I would have a blast playing Queen Adeliza and bossing people around (especially tourists)! I've never done any cosplay, but to be able to hang out in this beautiful Great Hall I'd be tempted. Do you think they'd let me have my mead chilled?
Katie, your mead is already in the chiller cabinet, your Royal Highness. I remember the last time we visited the Castle together and I cannot wait to show you around the Royal Palace Reborn (as the project is officially known).
https://www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/norwich-castle/castle-keep-transformation
When is the castle scheduled to re-open? Will there be a party for the staff, builders, architects, etc., so the public can see what's been done and greet the people responsible?
I'd like to see it, but there's a lot on my schedule already so I don't know whether I'll be able to afford a ticket, but it's nice to consider.
It should be open some time next year, Speedway (barring another pandemic). There will be a huge party, featuring lots of self-important people who have had nothing to do with the project, while those of us who made it happen will avoid the cameras and slope off down the pub.
I think skellington should be the official spelling (haven't checked but I bet the OED already have it. They'll include any word or usage if someone thought they overheard someone else using it).
I've seen a model - perhaps in the mall? where there are musicians up on the gallery. That's where I want to be, playing my recorder or cornetto.
Don't forget to bring a crossbow, Pea.
How exciting! Hopefully, the MITM and I will get a chance to cross the pond and find a way to visit the completed project!
We had a chance to sample some mead yesterday that was made by a friend of Captain Chaos. Three different flavors and all delicious! xoxo
Let us know when the party's going to be. I'll start looking for my outfit straightaway.
Attached please find codpieces, some of which need buffing. Others look more like the arm on an Art Deco Pullman chair. https://www.sadanduseless.com/codpiece/
Captain Chaos brand Mead? Sounds delicious, Savannah. xoxo
I'll let you all know in good time, Petrea. In the meantime, things drag on slowly but surely. Better than rushing it with a 900-year-old castle.
Too damned funny, Speedway. Thanks for a much needed Monday giggle.
Post a Comment