Friday, November 06, 2020

Old Dive's History of Norwich Castle - Preface

Here beginneth Old Dive's Complete and Utter History of Norwich Castle, taken from a series of lectures I gave to the Castle project team over the past year. 

References to earlier lectures may creep in, as for example my talk on the Lantern of Ely Cathedral involved the splendidly monikered Queen Sexburga, a king called Anna, a local witch employed by William the Bastard to cast spells on Morcar and Hereward and display her naked arse to them, plus the sinking of the Norman army in a swamp; all of which has some bearing on the History.

The witch got burned by-the-bye. It's all in the Gesta Herewardi, a contemporary account by the monks of Ely.

I shall have to chop the lectures up into little pieces as there are eight of them and each is around an hour long. Fæcebookland folk appear to have lost the ability to read more than a sentence at a sitting, the poor dears, so I shall keep each post as brief as I can and include some pretty (and some totally gross) pictures to accompany them.

Watch this space …

5 comments:

savannah said...

How exciting! xoxo


p.s. The count is so damned close right now, but I'm thinking we could be looking at a new occupant in the White House!

dive said...

Me too, Savannah. I can barely breathe; the news channel is on all day and all night and it's soooooo stressful waiting xoxo

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm not worried. We will have a new occupant, Savannah. I've already got my playlist cued up for the victory, starting with "Dancing in the Street"— which my neighbors and I are excited to do.

I don't watch the election reports, but I will watch (with glee!) the forced removal of the current occupant.

Dive, I very much look forward to your lectures and the photos!

Speedway said...


I'm looking forward to your Tales of The Castle almost as much as I want to see the Orange Menace kicked to the curb.

I want a big party, too. I want women to get out their pink pussy hats, march down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Mall. There we'll watch Joe Biden be inaugurated, along with Kamala Harris as his Vice President. We will dance to good music and have taco trucks on every corner!

dive said...

Hot damn, if anything's a cure for the lockdown blues, this sure is it!