I wake up, semi-delirious,
certain I can hear voices,
but there's no-one there when I check the house;
just my books, shuffling about,
surreptitiously
rearranging themselves behind my back
and murmuring;
reading to one another
when they think I'm asleep.
I'm convinced they're up to something.
Keep that amount of words in a confined space
and there's sure to be
mischief.
11 comments:
I'm sure the books in our house are up to mischief when we aren't here...so very many words....
Words of wisdom (perhaps):
"Beware of the person of one book."
~Thomas Aquinas
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
~Groucho Marx
Also, hope you feel better soon!
Wisdom indeed, Ms.M.
I'm gradually on the mend, thank you, but you know how it is with men and man-flu: we'll stretch it out as long as we can and milk the sympathy. Hee hee.
Ooh, evocative words, my friend.
So sad to hear you are ill and wish you well. However, if man flu results in such thoughts, I'd keep you sick a bit longer. Funny how liking books even makes being sick more interesting.
Many thanks, Speedway. I am so glad you're back with us, even if your pooter ate all your photos (bummer).
And hey … both your book and Petrea's book are conspiring on my shelves so if anything mischievous happens I'll know who to blame.
This turned into a perfect poem!
With a little help from my Medicine Woman.
What? I come to check on you and find you sickly and poetic? Sorry Dive! Hope you are up and able very soon! I trust all is well otherwise? I can't believe it's been so long since we all blogged. Way to stick with it! Good to see you, friend. :}
I have at times thought it would be nice to be sick for a few days so I could relax and read. Then I got sick, and I could barely sit in a chair. Reading was out of the question. If only my books could have talked to me then.
Much better now, thank you Shan. I must have been pining for all the friends lost to Facebook. Hee hee.
I was sick, Petrea, but so busy that I went to work too soon and they stuck me in a downstairs back room where I couldn't infect the rest.
Post a Comment