Well, bugger me with a splintered gatepost it's like Fallout 4 or The Last of Us in here.
The walk over to Blogville reminded me of Cormac Mc.Carthy's laugh-a-minute "The Road".
I've not visited for a long time, but reduced working days brought on by the planet-wide Choking Death gave me the spare time to go back to the early posts of 2006 and marvel over the wonders of comment-fests a yard long in the crowded and happy streets of Blogville.
Of course, some ex-Blogville residents now live quite contentedly in the trashy trailer park of Fæcebookland and we still keep in touch. Others have simply faded into the ether and their links lead nowhere. At least one has died and gone to Ankh-Morpork (where all good Pratchett fans go).
It's actually almost quaint to go back through what now seem like the good old days and read of our fear and loathing of Dubya and Bliar, as if they were leading us back to 1930s Germany and heralding the resurgence of Zombie-Fascism.
Well, we were right, only we were nowhere near frightened enough. Fascism is back with a bang; racism, homophobia, misogyny and ultra-violence are now government policy both sides of the Pond.
Trump? For fuck's sake! TRUMP? And over here we have Trump-Lite with Johnson and Rees-Mogg and their murderous clique of incompetents, running around like headless chickens, hoping Covid will miraculously go away.
Ah, yes … Our new plague. My mate Adrian's Mum died of it on a Friday and his Dad the following Monday. Happy days.
It's a fucking strange new world. We're all now living inside Margaret Atwood's head. It's Gilead and Oryx and Crake all rolled into one, with Fake-Haired-Fascists running the show.
There's an election coming up over in the Colonies; one can only hope sanity prevails.
Oh, by-the-bye; since last we met, Old Dive has been diagnosed with Asperger's. Yay! Explains my whole fucking life. At least I know now that there's a reason why I am what I am and frankly, it's a blessèd relief.
Anyhoo … I'm back. I've swept all the spiders out of my old Blogville residence, dusted off a chair, cranked up the generator and put the kettle on. I think I'll stay here for a bit and watch the world outside.
Is anybody there? Robyn? Sassy? Sharifa? Shan? Maria? Lynn? Katherine? Speedway? Prudence? Ms.M? Shazza? Vic (now Bruce - huzzah!)? Kate? Utsav? Crazy Ame? Old Knudsen?
Well, at least it's nice and quiet here.
14 comments:
I'm hurt. You called everyone but me.
I wish you weren't so right. I think it's on us, over here in the colonies, to start knocking over the dominoes. I hope and believe we'll kick off the fall come Tuesday. But trump is a symptom of a larger problem, and we have lots of clean-up to do. We can't just wait around for the racists to get old and die, because they keep making new ones.
Congratulations on your diagnosis! That may seem a strange thing to say, but it sounds like a relief, as you said.
EEK! I grovel and genefluct in the general direction of Pasadena. How could I have been so remiss, dear Petrea?
I'm keeping all of my extremities tightly crossed for the downfall of the Donald. I know you've done your part so now we just have to wait.
Thanks for the congrats. The diagnosis explains so many of the past six decades; it's made what's left of my life a lot easier to bear.
I am still here and blogging away thanks to my new computer and my new rule regarding martinis and MACs! xoxo
p.s. Add my congrats on your diagnosis because as we know, it's better to know WTF is happening and not guessing or feeling strangely out of sorts!
Yay, Savannah! I'm in awe of you for still being here in Blogville. Let's hope more of us move back xoxo
Oh, I'm here, too, Dive. I've been missing you so much and look forward to your posts.
I got a message from Petrea to tell me you are back. I've been hoping. and now ...
He's BACK!
Yay,Sara! After some decades-late diagnoses of my Diveness I realised Blogville was where sanity lives. It’s my comfort blanket.
Wow, what a surprise to see this pop up in my RSS reader. A very pleasant one (notwithstanding some dark subject matter). You have a real talent for stringing words together and I hope you'll do some more of it.
By a bizarre coincidence, 'that' recording of Cold Cold Feeling with you and the Tinkler came up on random play the other day. Brought tears to my eyes, memories and an amazing performance. I'm just glad a tape recorder was running at that place and time.
Keep well.
Yay, Pea. Dark subject matter and blues guitar playing … I can live with that. How's your cornetto fusion music coming along? I loved what you sent me.
Thanks. Well my abilities to compose, arrange and record are all making slow progress. I set up a YT channel for the purpose, and there's all sorts in there, including some real playing. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYgubmS8qA7NHhWh4gRbBPQ/videos . Not sure whether I sent you my version of the Capriol Suite? https://canzon-cataclysmico.bandcamp.com/album/capriol-suite I hope Peter Warlock would approve of what I did with it.
Are you doing anything musically these days?
Wow! Sheebee, I am totally in awe. You were always utterly brilliant at whatever you turned your hand to; now you're even better!
I think you give me too much credit but that is certainly a compliment, thank you. I'm enjoying the Castle history and it's good to see you back on the little vitreous one.
Mum loves your videos, too. And yes, it's good to be back on the Planet.
Aw, hello B.
Hey Dive -- blast from the past here. I left Blogville over a decade ago, but I unearthed some Dive DVDs the other day and thought of you and wondered how you were doing, so I decided to take a trip back to my old stomping ground. Amazing how much the world has changed in the last decade, but it's fun to see some familiar names here on the SGP. Looking forward to reading your Norwich Castle posts. Cheers to you old friend!
Post a Comment