Monday, September 15, 2014

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To (because they're a bunch of cheap shits with no more sense of style than a week-old dog turd) …

Continuing a theme I often get entangled in (and rightly so):

 Like the sad case of the classic Merc featured in the link above, Goodwood's annual Concours d'Elegance reminds me - rather forcefully - of the tragic loss of style, elegance and sheer, sumptuous beauty in 21st century "design".

This is a 5-series Beemer: the unutterably gorgeous BMW 507 from 1957.

 How fucking sexy is that? 
You know you want it, don't you? Yeah? Yeah?
Yes, you do. I can tell by all the drool on your chin.

Does it look like a 5-series Beemer to you?
Does it buggery.
No, instead it looks FANTASTIC!
What the hell happened to BMW?

Wake up, you serried tossers of the once-honourable Bavarian Motor Works!
You could do it once. You can do it again. How hard can it be?
I mean, this car is older than I am! 

I couldn't bring myself to photograph the modern version (you can just about make it out in the background).
The imbeciles have taken the magnificent grille of the 507 and turned it into a joke Hitler moustache.
Oh, for the love of all things decent …

Get a grip, you horrible Huns and sack your entire design staff.
And make sure you kick out the accountants, too.
Get some class, assholes.

The rest of us will just sit here and ache with longing for what might have been if you hadn't lost the plot.

7 comments:

Alifan said...

Nice cars not so nice language! They do look rather yummy though…

dive said...

When they start making good looking cars again I'll stop swearing at them.

Petrea Burchard said...

I agree, the modern BMW looks no more intriguing than a Nissan sedan. Nothing wrong with a Nissan sedan, but we expect something timeless from BMW.

What did you think of the link I sent for the Concours d'Elegance at Hampton Court Palace? Them were some classy cars, Jack.

Ms M said...

They are beauties, for sure!
There's nothing like one of your "bad design" rants... :-)

dive said...

HI, Petrea. I tried replying to your email but my stupid Apple Mail is having one of its periodic paddies and refuses to send stuff. I loved the article; several of the cars were at Goodwood, too.

It's such a shame that most modern cars look the same. Yours and mine are honourable exceptions.

Ms.M I have never understood the craving for poor design that plagues our modern world, though it does seem particularly prevalent in both automobile design and architecture.

Petrea Burchard said...

My complaint with modern cars is just that: they all look the same. My neighbor says, "why didn't you wave?" and I respond, "I didn't know it was you. I don't recognize your car. It looks like every other car on the block."

dive said...

Hee hee. Creative people drive individual cars that stand out from the herd. Yay us!